Thread: Protein dilema

Ice Princess is offline Female Member

Arrow Protein dilema

So, there's a zillion protein's out there... I'm really trying to lean out right now. What protein is the best ? ( I do not want any soy!!!) I usually use Isopure, but recently heard about optimum's "complete protein diet.
    I just don't want to add a lot of mass. Opinions anyone???

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    allthewhey.com is good and at trueprotein.com you can blend your own

seesamplay is offline Junior Member
    With all due respect, I think you might have missed the purpose of her question. I think she was trying to wade through the seemingly endless number of proteins available. As an example, I have listed the products available from Protein Factory below:

Aussie Caseinate

CFM Whey Isolate

Egg White Protein

Hemp Protein Powder

Hydrolyzed 1400

Hydrolyzed 520

Hydrolyzed Caseinate 360

Ion Exchange Whey Isolate

Iso-Chill Whey Isolate

Membrane Micellar Casein

Milk Protein Isolate

Premium Whey 5 lbs.

Rice Protein Concentrate (RPC)

Soy Isolate XT

Soy Protein Isolate

Super Plasma Protein (Super Bovine)

Whey Protein Concentrate

Whole Organic Egg

X-Tra Special Protein K315

I share this dilemma with her. I have a specific need, but I don’t know which protein to select. For several months I have been making my own post-workout shakes, combining protein, dextrose/malto, creatine and Crystal Light. I train from 6am-7:15am M-F, and I drink my PWO shake immediately after my last set. I eat a protein-rich breakfast 30-60 minutes after leaving the gym (tuna and eggs in whole wheat low-carb Mission tortillas).

What protein should I be using? What protein should I avoid?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable responses. I submitted similar questions to True Protein and Protein Factory without timely responses.

Sam

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    allthewhey is amazing

diezell is offline Senior Member
    stay away from the gnc garbage im a huge fan of ast's line of supplements there vp2 is the best protein i have ever used and its proven to burn fat

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure how much info you want, but there are essentially two kinds of whey protein: Concentrate and Isolate. The difference between the two is the processing, which I will not get into unless someone asks. Essentially, concentrate is cheaper and takes longer to digest. There are some who believe that you get less absorbtion out of this protien, while others believe that the longer digestion time makes it a better product. Isolate is usually more expensive and mixes faster and is absorbed faster. Because of the fast absorbtion rate it does not stay in your system as long. Ideally, I would think that one would want a mix of the two, but anything isolate gets very expensive, especially when used several times a day as many of us are apt to do. Casein (Milk Protein) is also available. It is a slow digesting protein and is excellent for times when you will not get another meal right away...like before bed (which is why many recommend a smlall bowl of low fat cottage cheese before bed). I personnally do the following: I purchase a tub of each type of Whey (I like BioX Extreme Power Whey Concentrate and Isolate, mainly cause I can get a good price). I use concentrate for all daily shakes. I add isolate to my PWO shake. I use concentrate and casein before bed. My reasoning is that throughout the day I am looking for steady release and levels of amino's in the blood, but right after training I am looking for quick absorbtion to fuel the muscles ASAP. At night I am looking for a long lasting protein that will keep my aminos in the blood until morning.

As far as protein intake while dieting is concerned, many advanced bbers cut out supplements as a rule when they get close to contests...there are several reasons for this. Many people have success at dieting while still using protein shakes (either kind).

Nutshell: Ideally a blend of several protein sources is best as that way you cover all your bases. It you are on a leaning out diet you need not worry about putting on mass...I use protein supplementation to get closer to my optimum macronutrient amounts.

Not sure it this answers the first question. I think brand wise, it really comes down to what you can get at a reasonable price and what you like the taste of.

big_mike is offline Member
    i dunno....i LOVE isopure Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate..the protein seems really pure..plus it tastes the best to me...i've never switched protein brands...and i've tasted nearly all of them..others like ON protein and such...they taste really cheap..and they taste like sh**. Honestly...ISS protein is the only protein that really even comes close to isopure in taste..although it is more expensive. The upside to it..is that it is made from whey, egg protein, and milk protein...so you get a mixture of all 3..which of course would be more beneficial in certain situations...

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by seesamplay
    With all due respect, I think you might have missed the purpose of her question. I think she was trying to wade through the seemingly endless number of proteins available. As an example, I have listed the products available from Protein Factory below:

Aussie Caseinate

CFM Whey Isolate

Egg White Protein

Hemp Protein Powder

Hydrolyzed 1400

Hydrolyzed 520

Hydrolyzed Caseinate 360

Ion Exchange Whey Isolate

Iso-Chill Whey Isolate

Membrane Micellar Casein

Milk Protein Isolate

Premium Whey 5 lbs.

Rice Protein Concentrate (RPC)

Soy Isolate XT

Soy Protein Isolate

Super Plasma Protein (Super Bovine)

Whey Protein Concentrate

Whole Organic Egg

X-Tra Special Protein K315

I share this dilemma with her. I have a specific need, but I don’t know which protein to select. For several months I have been making my own post-workout shakes, combining protein, dextrose/malto, creatine and Crystal Light. I train from 6am-7:15am M-F, and I drink my PWO shake immediately after my last set. I eat a protein-rich breakfast 30-60 minutes after leaving the gym (tuna and eggs in whole wheat low-carb Mission tortillas).

What protein should I be using? What protein should I avoid?

Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable responses. I submitted similar questions to True Protein and Protein Factory without timely responses.

Sam
    The protein factory his hella expensive. Any powder that I have bought from them tastes like ****.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    The one i like best are AllTheWhey- Orange, Strawberry, Vanilla and Chocolate. They also have a chocolate mint that i just picked up today that i am waiting to try.

Isopure fruit flovrs are real good and I use them daily. I also like Syntrax Nectar. Their Fuzzu Naval tastes good, The Lemon Ice Tea tastes good, and the Apple Ecstacy tastes good. The Lemon ice tea tastes like Lipton brisk nd the Apple Ecstasy tastes like a apple jolly rancher. Both have no sugar and no carbs
    abstrack@protonmail.com

seesamplay is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    I am not sure how much info you want, but there are essentially two kinds of whey protein: Concentrate and Isolate.

Nutshell: Ideally a blend of several protein sources is best as that way you cover all your bases. It you are on a leaning out diet you need not worry about putting on mass...I use protein supplementation to get closer to my optimum macronutrient amounts.
    Thanks for answering the question I asked. Everyone wanted to chime in with their brands, and I felt like many people didn't know what kind of protein they were getting when they bought protein.

I know what tastes good, andI know what is reasonably priced, but I also know that a lot of manufacturers put the cheapest/lowest grade protein in their products.

FWIW - Isopure uses Ion Exchange Whey Isolate if I'm not mistaken. I thought that was very impressive.

Anyway, you confirmed what I was able to learn. Isolate is the fastest working protein, so it makes the most sense for the post-workout shake. It mixes easily, so I can make my PWO shake in a shaker cup at the gym without it clumping-up too bad.

Thanks,

Sam

Thread Information