Thread: dextrose...

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?

dextrose...

Heard a lot about this recently but have no clue what it does. someone please cue me in on what it does and should it be ran with a bulking or cutting cycle? thanks and God Bless :spudnikh5

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Dextose - These rapidly digested carbohydrates will quench the catabolic hormone cortisol, produce a dramatic insulin spike for the purpose of shuttling nutrients into muscle tissue, and will begin to replenish muscle glycogen stores which have been somewhat depleted during exercise.

You should be taking it weather your cutting or bulking, it comes in powder form and is basically corn sugar (tastes like crushed sweet tarts), In your PWO shake you should add dex in at a 2:1 ratio. 2 scoops dex/1 scoop whey, and god bless you too.

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    is is corn sugar and it should be used during bulking and cutting. It is used after a workout with whey to spike insulin levels so that the protein will be quickly absorbed.
    Use in a ratio of 2:1 dextrose : protein

getbig888 is offline Senior Member
    he beat me to it

Quote Originally Posted by getbig888
    he beat me to it
    Thats not the only thing I beat.....

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    so for every gram of protein there should be 2 grams of dextrose

Quote Originally Posted by SplinterCell
    Dextose - These rapidly digested carbohydrates will quench the catabolic hormone cortisol, produce a dramatic insulin spike for the purpose of shuttling nutrients into muscle tissue, and will begin to replenish muscle glycogen stores which have been somewhat depleted during exercise.

You should be taking it weather your cutting or bulking, it comes in powder form and is basically corn sugar (tastes like crushed sweet tarts), In your PWO shake you should add dex in at a 2:1 ratio. 2 scoops dex/1 scoop whey, and god bless you too.
    Mmmm that sounds good, but how much does it change the taste of the protein shake?

bruin is offline Junior Member
    get O.N chocolate whey add your dex to it makes it a little sweet but tastes good and easy to drink

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EcToMoRpHiAn
    Mmmm that sounds good, but how much does it change the taste of the protein shake?
    It tastes to ****ing good, its like drinking candy. Like having a cheat meal everyday. dex is the only meal i look forward to everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by arnoldwannab
    It tastes to ****ing good, its like drinking candy. Like having a cheat meal everyday. dex is the only meal i look forward to everyday.
    Like I've said before....80 g's dex 40g's protein = better than pussy....

(i've never really tasted pussy btw)

90g dex and 45 g protein....better than 2 pussies

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    where where in teh H*ll do you get it? can't find it any where any good brands...any CHEAP brands? help me out here guys

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~

yea.. and you don't masterbate either...........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    In your PWO shake you should add dex in at a 2:1 ratio. 2 scoops dex/1 scoop whey, and god bless you too.
    measuring this way is not accurate. some protein scoops are 70cc and 25g protein and some are 90cc and 20 g protein. some proteins are more dense than others. you need to use a standard measuring cup. 1/2 cup is approx 75g dex.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    measuring this way is not accurate. some protein scoops are 70cc and 25g protein and some are 90cc and 20 g protein. some proteins are more dense than others. you need to use a standard measuring cup. 1/2 cup is approx 75g dex.
    I meant 2:1 in grams. And yes you are correct, for example 2 scoops with my scooper = 40 grams of protein but the same 2 scoops = 80 grams of dex.

ThePump is offline Member
    and by doing this you notice good results?

yes. It is essential

awesome... well then i'm going to go walk to ralphs right now and get some... lol... thanx

I have never seen it at Ralphs before. Some people say they get it at a liquor store. I just get mine over the Internet so i know i am getting the right stuff. Sweettarts will hold you over until it comes in the mail

hmmm... well ****... sweet tarts?? are u serious?

yes....it takes alot though. You could also get Gatorade powder to compensate. You just want the dextros. These 2 have dex as the main ingredient.

that will taste a bit funky though... lol... gatorade powder and vanilla protein... ewww

take your protein, than mix your gatorade powder with water and just drink it

oh ight... right on man... thanx alot

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldwannab
    yes....it takes alot though. You could also get Gatorade powder to compensate. You just want the dextros. These 2 have dex as the main ingredient.
    You can also use twin lab ultra fuel which contains dextrose and maltodextrin , however it is better to get the dextrose . but for optimum you should use dextrose and maltodextrin together with creatine and glutimine, then 15 minutes drink your 50g protein shake.

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    Let me back my claim up.

Importance of consuming a combination of Maltodextrin & Dextrose

After reading Old School’s excellent article on post workout nutrition, the reader is now aware of the importance of consuming easily digested, high Gl carbohydrates at this time. But the question is, why a combination of dextrose and maltodextrin? Both are high in Gl rating, and easily digested right? True, but there is more logic than Gl rating to stacking these two powerhouses. Read on for the answer.

Beginning with the first concept discussed called, “gastric emptying.” Our goal post workout is to maintain a prompt digestion rate so nutrients can transport swiftly and efficiently to our muscles. With that said, it has been shown that this process slows when the ingested fluid contains a high osmolarity concentration (the second concept studied). Osmolarity is dependent on the number of particles in a solution. That is, a100-milliliter solution with 20 glucose molecules will have a higher osmolarity then a100-millileter solution that only contains 10 molecules. The shorter chain length a carbohydrate has, the higher it raises the solution's osmolarity. Therefore, it is no surprise that a pure glucose solution (or dextrose, a monosaccharide) induces very high concentrations of solute (1,3,10).

Fortunately these negative effects become greatly reduced when the drink contains a glucose polymer stacked with dextrose. However, a carbohydrate that is easily digested, and has a high Gl is still desired. Hence, a combination of dextrose and maltodextrin is advised. Osmolarity will be decreased, and glucose will still enter the blood stream at a proficient rate, thus maintaining its anabolic nature (1,3).

A second factor concerning osmolarity must now be examined. From a clinical standpoint, it is vital to take into consideration the fact that plasma (the liquid portion of blood) has an Osmolarity of 300 mOsm. This means that if one were to inject a solution with a greater concentration of solute into their blood, it would cause water from inside their red blood cells to leave by Osmosis (water always travels down its concentration gradient) and move into the plasma, in turn shrinking the erythrocytes (red blood cells). This is because the cells are iso-osmotic to the plasma (both have the same concentration of solute) (11).

A similar concept can be applied to your post workout meal. If a competitor were to consume a solution that was hypertonic or had a higher concentration of solute then 300 mOsm, it could dehydrate them (showing why digestion is rightfully slowed in a high concentrated solution). The addition of maltodextrin once again solves this problem (2,13).

The next question is, why not just use maltodextrin, and eliminate dextrose since it is so proficient? Ah, once again it is not that simple. Shi. X et al.in an outstanding study, tested the digestive effects of two substrates (any substance acted upon by an enzyme) as opposed to only one substrate in the small intestine. What they found was quite fascinating. The solution containing two substrates stimulated the activation of more transport mechanisms in the intestinal lumen, than did its singular counterpart. Therefore, more carbohydrates were transported out of the small intestine (absorbed into the blood), which additionally aided a greater absorption rate of water into the blood stream (by osmosis). Thus, the higher activation rate of transport mechanisms, even with higher osmolarity facilitated faster energy uptake and hydration (12)!

Great info Mr.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    so half a cup is 75g. now should i take this with my pwo shake or separate. and how can i measure the dex without a measuring cup?

Thread Information