CrazyRussian is offline Associate Member

good fast acting supplement for a distance run

whats up guys, tomorrow i have to do a 2 mile time trial and i was wondering what would aid me in running it, like an energy pill that will help me focus and run a faster time by taking it before my run... thanks

Aboot is offline Banned
    Ephedrine, but I wouldn't recommend that you take it for the first time on the day of your race, just in case you don't react well to it.

511220 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aboot
    Ephedrine, but I wouldn't recommend that you take it for the first time on the day of your race, just in case you don't react well to it.
    Agree! Caffeine/Ephedra or Ephedrine HCL will vasodilate your arterioles and certainly aid in this kind of situation, but caution should be taken if you do not know how you will respond to it as it's pretty potent in effect to some.

Last edited by 511220; 05-12-2005 at 03:12 PM.

ive taken it before... im a sprinter and hardly ever run more than a mile at a time, so any aid should help... what about ma hung, and what is ephedra hcl

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRussian
    ive taken it before... im a sprinter and hardly ever run more than a mile at a time, so any aid should help... what about ma hung, and what is ephedra hcl
    They basically have the same effect...but here's some info for you.

"Ephedra" is the commonly used name for a dietary supplement containing ephedrine alkaloids or naturally occuring ephedrine. It was sold as a raw botanical or as an extract from botanical sources, and it is also known by other names, such as Ma Huang and Chinese Ephedra. The raw botanical or extract naturally contains the following alkaloids(among others): ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, norpseudoephedrine, norephedrine, methylephedrine, and methylpseudoephedrine. Because ephedra was sold as a "dietary supplement," it was marketed without the FDA's concurrence or approval and could not be removed from the market until such time that the FDA found that it posed a significant or unreasonable risk of harm.

In contrast, OTC drug products that contain ephedrine hcl are specifically marketed pursuant to the FDA's "Final Monograph for Cold, Cough, Allergy, Bronchodilator and Antiasthmatic Drug Products for OTC Human Use"("Final Monograph"). The Final Monograph identifies certain ingredients that the FDA has determined are "generally considered as safe and effective" for particular uses and sets forth specific rules regarding labels that, when complied with, permit a company to market one of those ingredients. The inclusion of ephedrine hcl in the Final Monograph represents a finding by the FDA that ephedrine is generally recognized as safe and effective when labeled in accordance with the monograph. Moreover, ephedrine hcl has never been marketed as a dietary supplement, nor could any claims regarding weight loss or energy have been made for products containing ephedrine hcl. To do so, would have caused the product to be considered an unapproved new drug by the agency.

FDA has announced its attention to prohibit the sale of ephedra dietary supplements- not ephedrine hcl OTC drug products.

Last edited by 511220; 05-12-2005 at 03:18 PM.

thanks for the info... i can get ahold of some ephedrine, so what dose should i take and how long before the run should i take it so it doesnt wear off during/before the run?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyRussian
    thanks for the info... i can get ahold of some ephedrine, so what dose should i take and how long before the run should i take it so it doesnt wear off during/before the run?
    Well I can tolerate 50mg ephedrine and 200mg caffeine pretty well after a long time off. But thats just me. 45 minutes before wo also works best for me. It'll last for 3 hours or more.

Everyone reacts different to this stuff so I can only tell you what works best for me.

Good luck,

HSFootball is offline Associate Member
    Wouldn't taking ephedrine and sprinting make your heart go crazy?

Thread Information