Thread: CLA useless?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

CLA useless?

Does this study indicate that cla is useless for fatloss purposes?

Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on fatty acid and glycerol kinetics.

Zambell KL, Horn WF, Keim NL.

USDA/Western Human Nutrition Research Center, Department of Exercise Science, University of California, Davis 95616, USA.

Recent studies with mouse adipocytes have shown that dietary conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) may reduce body fat by increasing lipolysis. The present study examined the effect of CLA supplementation on fatty acid and glycerol kinetics in six healthy, adult women who were participating in a controlled metabolic ward study. These women were fed six CLA capsules per day (3.9 g/d) for 64 d following a baseline period of 30 d. The subjects were confined to a metabolic suite for the entire 94-d study, where diet and activity were controlled and held constant. The rate of appearance (Ra) of glycerol, which indicates lipolytic rates, was similar at baseline and after 4 wk of CLA supplementation at rest (1.87 +/- 0.21 and 2.00 +/- 0.39 micromol/kg/min, respectively) and during exercise (7.12 +/- 0.74 and 6.40 +/- 0.99 micromol/kg/min, respectively). Likewise, the Ra of free fatty acids (FFA) was not significantly different after 4 wk of dietary CLA at rest (2.72 +/- 0.06 and 2.74 +/- 0.12 micromol/kg/min, respectively) or during exercise (6.99 +/- 0.40 and 5.88 +/- 0.29 micromol/kg/min, respectively). CLA supplementation also had no effect on the percentage of FFA released from lipolysis that were re-esterified. The apparent rate of FFA re-esterification was 65.2 +/- 4.2% at rest and 32.1 +/- 3.44% during exercise. Four weeks of CLA supplementation had no significant effect on fatty acid or glycerol metabolism in healthy, weight-stable, adult women.
    Publication Types:
    Clinical Trial
    Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 11592726 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    there are many studies like this showing CLA is ineefective but feedback seems good so I dont know???

swoll4589 is offline Member
    Isnt it relatively cheap... so it prolly wouldnt hurt to take it with ECA. Only thing is if you take it with ECA there will be no way to tell if its the ECA or the CLA that burning the fat. So i guess the only way to know is test it by itself.

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    its actually fairly expensive, and is not worth whatever minimal results you may achieve. The studies Ive seen are about 60/30 sucks/works.

Big M is offline Associate Member
    Doesn´nt work!! just go with omega-3 buddy

Rock88 is offline Junior Member
    Well, I guess I'm the only one. It worked for me at 4 grams a day.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Maby the timespan of the study was to short. Rock88 how long did you take it and when did you notice a difference?

To bad its SO damn expensive that any experiemtns on my own is impossible.

Thread Information