Thread: Hmb ??

ElTornado is offline Junior Member

Hmb ??

Is HMB worth taking ? and if so is 4 caps 3/day too much ?

birsling is offline Member
    IMO HMB is great stuff. As far as 4 caps 3 times per day. 4 caps of how much (mg)? What does your diet look like? Do you know why you would want to take HMB?

that is what I need help with...why would I take HMB ??

birsling is offline Member
    Bro, you have to learn to use the search button. There is a ton of info here on HMB. Commonly it is used to aid in protein retention for high protein diets

thanks

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    HMB is supposed to be anti-catabolic by reducing the breakdown of protein...

I tried search button on HMB, I can't find any clear definitions on HMB and what it does. All posts seem to be opinions and experiences

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTornado
    I tried search button on HMB, I can't find any clear definitions on HMB and what it does. All posts seem to be opinions and experiences
    HMB = beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. It is supposed to be anti-catabolic by reducing the breakdown of proteins...

I see...,but how often should I take it.

BigJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    HMB = beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate. It is supposed to be anti-catabolic by reducing the breakdown of proteins...
    Bingo...that is exactly right. I tried it a few years ago, but at that time the cost was way to high to bother with. The amount you need to take per dose and length of time using it make it a bit too pricy IMO. Although, I have not looked for it in the store for several years. The studies I saw on it showed only a couple of pounds of extra mass over a 6 month period. It is a lot of money for 2 pounds. I would buy glutamine, creatine, and maybe taurine or an AKG (arginine) product before I spent money on HMB...just my 2 cents.

My recollection is that it needs to be taken several times per day, daily, for several weeks in order to be effective. I recall thinking that a 3 months run made sense...but again, too rich for my blood at the time.

cost is no thing, I have a hook up (get it free).

nsa
    3-5 grams ED, take it everyday for a long period of time to see results...

cost is no thing, I have a hook up (get it free).

Lucky. In that case, read the bottle and do whatever it suggests. Or go to the manufacturors website and check there. I recall that I wa just following the directions on the bottle. I will check my supplement bible and see if there are dosage recommendations. Otherwise, just follow the instructions on the bottle...technically they have tested at those doses...

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    Lucky. In that case, read the bottle and do whatever it suggests. Or go to the manufacturors website and check there. I recall that I wa just following the directions on the bottle. I will check my supplement bible and see if there are dosage recommendations. Otherwise, just follow the instructions on the bottle...technically they have tested at those doses...
    I have a supplement bible in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by nsa
    I have a supplement bible in my head...
    That is awesome. I once knew a little about tons of supplements off the top of my head, but when I lost my connection on a discount the only thing I cared about was protein, creatine, and glutamine. The rest I am out of date on without research. I really like the new Arginine/NO stuff though...it is pretty good. But, HMB...I am not sure I would bother unless I had a hook up.

bottle suggests 4 caps 3 times a day. Seems alot, I think companies tell you to use more just to sell more !!

nsa
    bottle suggests 4 caps 3 times a day. Seems alot, I think companies tell you to use more just to sell more !!
    How much is in each capsule?

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJames
    That is awesome. I once knew a little about tons of supplements off the top of my head, but when I lost my connection on a discount the only thing I cared about was protein, creatine, and glutamine. The rest I am out of date on without research. I really like the new Arginine/NO stuff though...it is pretty good. But, HMB...I am not sure I would bother unless I had a hook up.
    Protein, multivitamins and creatine are the most important supplements IMO. Arginine/NO2 products don't do anything but give a slightly better pump during a workout, they don't do anything to increase muscle mass or muscle strength. HMB however, can increase both strength and muscle mass over a period of time by inhibiting protein breakdown.

1000 mg

my mistake...250mg

nsa
    Then it is going to take 12 caps of those to equal 3 grams, just like the label said...

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    Well HMB doesnt really pan out well for bulking really as was said it will add a couple extra pounds that you can gain natty but you wont see immediate results or feel any different. But it does work.

Now when used to cut is a different story it is a very excellent cutting tool in the fact that it prevents catabolic states.

I would try to dose higher than 3 grams ed for an increased marked effect.

HMB is only 8 bucks for 100 grams when bought in bulk I still cant beleive that the big supp companies are charging 30 bucks a bottle on this friggn rediculous!!!

Thread Information