chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member

How long is protein good for after mixed?

I am going on a trip this weekend and was going to take a dozen water bottles and mix my protein shakes in water. Letting the protein sit in the water for a few days isnt going to hurt anything is it?

Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member
    just put the protein powder in the bottles, n dont add water, then when u wanna drim em just add water, i think this will be best for taste reason, other wise i think the protein will clump up n get chunky

Smiley619 is offline Member
    if you let the protein settle, then try and drink it it will be like drinking clumpy ass yogurt. i dont even like to drink my protein if it stays in the fridge the whole day.so i can only imagaine what it will be like it its all warm and been setting for days at a time

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    just put the protein powder in the bottles, n dont add water, then when u wanna drim em just add water, i think this will be best for taste reason, other wise i think the protein will clump up n get chunky
    This is the best way to go IMO. Keep it out of the sun and if you can in a cool, dry climate.

I dont really care about clumps, I prolly wont be near water very much I will be in the mountains and hiking and what not. I just want to know if the protein will still be good after its mixed in water. Thanks

nsa
    Not for days at a time, it will start to deaminate (break down of amino acids) and amino acids are what make up protein. Just carry around water and a bottle with protein powder and then mix the two when you want a shake...

Quote Originally Posted by chuck89gt5.0
    I am going on a trip this weekend and was going to take a dozen water bottles and mix my protein shakes in water. Letting the protein sit in the water for a few days isnt going to hurt anything is it?
    it will not keep for a couple days. even refrigerated its not reccomended more than a day.

bring the powder in baggies(ziplock) or packets, make when needed.

Is there info backing up these claims, what about RTD?

nsa
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck89gt5.0
    Is there info backing up these claims, what about RTD?
    For what claims? The statements about protein not lasting for days on end? Its known by anyone who knows simple organic chemistry. If you mix protein with water after a few hours it will begin to deaminate, unless you have a preservative in it. RTD protein drinks, the kind in cans and bottles, have preservatives in them to keep deamination from occuring. But when you mix your whey protein powder with water the protein will break down over time, because it doesn't have preservatives in it. Don't question the King. jk haha

Ok so a 50g protein shake mixed with water 3 days later will have nothing useful in it?

nsa
    It might have something useful in it but not much. I don't understand why you want to mix it so far in advance, just keep it in bags or empty bottles and just add water when you want to drink it...

Thread Information