robkesl is offline Senior Member

how does milk thistle work?

this is a two part question i think, well someone in the steroid forum said this

1 - Milk Thistle
    The classic liver protectant herb.supposedly works by blocking the entrance of harmful substances to liver cells, and hastening their expulsion. Make sure there is a high standardization of Silymarin.

im just curious, if milk thistle did this, wouldnt it block aas through its first pass, just curiouis on peoples thoughts. i know its suppose to be good, but if it blocks substances why wouldnt it block aas?

bump, NSA i know your all knowledgeable about supplements, i need some of your almighty wisdom!

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by robkesl
    bump, NSA i know your all knowledgeable about supplements, i need some of your almighty wisdom!
    First off, Silymarin is not a single component but a complex of chemicals known as flavonolignans. The primary components isolated and structurally characterized from silymarin include silybinin, silydianin and silychristin.

Most people use silymarin in the treatment of metabolic liver damage, chronic hepatitis, and bile duct inflammation, often induced by alcohol, drugs (psycopharmaceuticals), and chronic liver disease including certain forms of hepatitis. The hepatoprotective effects of silymarin have been demonstrated in accelerating normalization of impaired liver function. Accelerated improvement in measures of liver function, including serum levels of GOT (glutamic&emdash;oxalacetic transaminase), GPT (glutamic&emdash;pyruvic transaminase) and Gamma&emdash;GT (gamma&emdash;glutamyl&emdash;transpeptidase) have been consistently observed. Dosages involved in clinical trials have often been around 420 mg./day, used for a period of 4 to 8 weeks.

The therapeutic efficacy is based on several separate mechanisms of action. Silymarin alters the outer liver membrane cell structure in such a way that certain toxins, as demonstrated with the toxins of the Deathcap mushroom, cannot enter the cell. Silymarin also stimulates RNA polymerase A (also known as polymerase I), enhancing ribosome protein synthesis, resulting in activating the regenerative capacity of the liver through cell development. Clinical use of silymarin today applies to toxic liver damage for the supportive treatment of chronic inflammatory liver disorders and cirrhosis of the liver, such as in chronic hepatitis, and fatty infiltration of the liver by alcohol and other chemicals.

Hope that helps...

sooooooo, its the complex of chemicals known as flavonolignans, thats in milk thistle that does the job. ok

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by robkesl
    sooooooo, its the complex of chemicals known as flavonolignans, thats in milk thistle that does the job. ok
    Yup...

Thread Information