NSHOOTER320 is offline Junior Member

Quick question about tribulus

I'm interested in getting some tribulus and i've read that a 15-20% protodioscin content is preferred. However when reading up on some brands, some of them use the terms protodioscin and steroidal saponins interchangably. Is this valid or are they just trying to make their product sound good. The product in question was tribulus fuel by twinlab, they have a pretty cheap price online. Also optimum nutrition's tribulus product is looking pretty good. Thanx for the help.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    i use twinlab cuz one guy said they test there stuff for purity. but yes, its not the total saponin, its ONLY the protocsion that matters.
    peace

copenhagen is offline Member
    optimum trib 625.....good stuff at 3-5g per day

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I have used Optimum's Tribulus product because it is very cheap. Other members have said that it doesn't contain 15-20% protodioscin content. They said to go with Tribex by Biotest or Tribestan (Sopharma?).

c8rsa is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I have used Optimum's Tribulus product because it is very cheap. Other members have said that it doesn't contain 15-20% protodioscin content. They said to go with Tribex by Biotest or Tribestan (Sopharma?).
    Would the Tribestan be any good for a steroid alternative or shall i stick with the proper kind of gear?

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    The only way tribulus works to raise testosterone levels is by converting into DHEA so why not cut out the middle man???

Look into longjack(tongat ali) for clinically proven herb to raise test levels

there is little evidence that tribulus is effective and its only theory that protodioscin is the active.

c8rsa is offline Associate Member
    is there anyone who can say this substance has really improved there strengh an muscle size?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by c8rsa
    is there anyone who can say this substance has really improved there strengh an muscle size?
    My speciality is the fitness forum but when I visit here, I always listen to what Bryan has to say. I going to purchase some tongkat for sex purposes. I'll let you know how strong it is in a later post. My guess is that it doesn't do much for muscle gain, that's why I using it for sex and not my workouts.

issues with tongkat ali (longjak).

Int J Toxicol. 2004 Jan-Feb;23(1):65-71. Related Articles, Links

Determination of mercury by cold vapor atomic absorption spectrophotometer in Tongkat Ali preparations obtained in Malaysia.

Ang HH, Lee EL, Cheang HS.

School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University Science Malaysia, Minden, Penang, Malaysia. [email protected]

The DCA (Drug Control Authority), Malaysia, has implemented the phase 3 registration of traditional medicines on 1 January 1992, with special emphasis on the quality, efficacy, and safety (including the presence of heavy metals) in all pharmaceutical dosage forms of traditional medicine preparations. As such, a total of 100 products in various pharmaceutical dosage forms of a herbal preparation, containing Tongkat Ali, were analyzed for mercury content using cold vapor atomic absorption spectrophotometer. Results showed that 36% of the above products possessed 0.52 to 5.30 ppm of mercury and, therefore, do not comply with the quality requirement for traditional medicines in Malaysia. Out of these 36 products, 5 products that possessed 1.05 to 4.41 ppm of mercury were in fact have already registered with the DCA, Malaysia. However, the rest of the products that contain 0.52 to 5.30 ppm of mercury still have not registered with the DCA, Malaysia. Although this study showed that only 64% of the products complied with the quality requirement for traditional medicines in Malaysia pertaining to mercury, they cannot be assumed safe from mercury contamination because of batch-to-batch inconsistency.

also, the studies, done in malaysia are not exactly stellar. There is no elucidation of method of action and the study parameters and measurements are questionable.
    in rats it does seem to have androgenic or at least sexual arousal benefits... but with no method of action there is no way to assert actions in humans.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by NSHOOTER320
    I'm interested in getting some tribulus and i've read that a 15-20% protodioscin content is preferred. However when reading up on some brands, some of them use the terms protodioscin and steroidal saponins interchangably. Is this valid or are they just trying to make their product sound good. The product in question was tribulus fuel by twinlab, they have a pretty cheap price online. Also optimum nutrition's tribulus product is looking pretty good. Thanx for the help.
    Twinlab contains a 20% protodioscin content so it is good to go. Optimum doesn't give a protodioscin content on their bottle. It does contain 40% saponin content. This pales in comparison to the 80% in Vitrex.
    Last edited by Papi93; 12-10-2005 at 04:11 PM.

custom nutrition warehouse

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2
    custom nutrition warehouse
    Which brand do you go with? The 20% protodioscin or the 10% protodioscin content? It looks like they sell it in pill form.

pelly789 is offline Member
    Which brand do you go with? The 20% protodioscin or the 10% protodioscin content? It looks like they sell it in pill form.

yea im curious too...

depends on how many pills you wanna take and price you wanna spend

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2
    depends on how many pills you wanna take and price you wanna spend
    The general recommendation is 4g, for PCT. Would you have to take 8g of Optimum because it has half the saponin content of a brand like Vitrix?

Thread Information