neltimothy is offline New Member

20 Grams of Protein per meal? Thats it...

Hey I read in a fitness magazine (don't remember which one exactly) that buying protein powders with 30-40 grams of protein per serving is a waste of money. This is due to the "fact" that the human body only takes in 20 grams of protein per meal, including shakes, no matter what you eat or how much or it. The rest is just digested and sh*t out. So its best to buy the protein powders with close to 20 grams of protein (which usually taste better anyway). And its best to eat/drink protein every two to three hours to get your desired protein amount for that day. Personally when I read it I thought it was crap at first, but I started reducing my protein amounts and spacing them out more throughout the day. Honestly, I've been doing this for about a month and I've not noticed any negative effects. I've still been increasing my strength and size.

Anyway, I wanted to share that to see what everyone thought. Do you think its true that the body can only store 20 grams of protein per meal(including shakes). Or do you think its false?

alo5603 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neltimothy
    Hey I read in a fitness magazine (don't remember which one exactly) that buying protein powders with 30-40 grams of protein per serving is a waste of money. This is due to the "fact" that the human body only takes in 20 grams of protein per meal, including shakes, no matter what you eat or how much or it. The rest is just digested and sh*t out. So its best to buy the protein powders with close to 20 grams of protein (which usually taste better anyway). And its best to eat/drink protein every two to three hours to get your desired protein amount for that day. Personally when I read it I thought it was crap at first, but I started reducing my protein amounts and spacing them out more throughout the day. Honestly, I've been doing this for about a month and I've not noticed any negative effects. I've still been increasing my strength and size.

Anyway, I wanted to share that to see what everyone thought. Do you think its true that the body can only store 20 grams of protein per meal(including shakes). Or do you think its false?
    depends on the size and ability of the person. Everybody is diff, but its closer to 40grms for say a 180lb man and up. 20 is for like a little guy bro.

alo

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree. I assume you know that for every lb of bodyweight you should consume a gram and a half of protein. Therefore everyones protein intake would be different. So i think that that magazize is probably writen by some skinny dude who doesnt know dik

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    i've nvr seen a study that indicates anything over 20 is a waste.just myth in the book

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    shit i eat from 50g to 80g each meal

Danny_Dice is offline Junior Member
    ????

Shane35aa is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I know this is a old thread but.... Whats your all thoughts on consuming protein shakes with 40 - 50 grams? Is it overkill or will it add mass?

moush is offline Senior Member
    i eat 50g per meal...6 meals a day...and I take 50 g shakes so i dont think its overkill

taufeedawg1 is offline Junior Member
    Taking protein with shakes is good. I hate the taste of the protein just by its self. I throw in fruits in with the shake to inhance the taste.

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    8 meals 45-50g daily.. not overkill at all. I can see myself grow!
    Im on bulking diet though...

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    yes... 20 grams is sufficient.....................................if you're a 12 year old girl.

ash146 is offline Junior Member
    20g is recommended for someone who doesnt work out. when your training hard, your body demands are much more greater than the avg joe who works 9-5 desk job, comes home and watches tv/reads the newspaper.

Thread Information