JNel04 is offline Associate Member

Dextrose...Necessary?

i was readin up a lil bit on dex and wanted to get ur guys opinions if it is worth buying for my PWO. when i was readin some old threads i saw that you can get some of the same results by eating fruits and other substances. just want some opinions if i should go buy this stuff or not.

keth'naab is offline Associate Member
    it's insanely cheap, and fruits will not give you the same purity, you'll tend to get a good bit of fructose and sucrose as well.

dextrose is a bit "soapy" in texture to me, but many people don't believe so. besides, you can't mix fruit into just any of your PWO shakes. grape juice wouldn't go too well with chocolate designer protein, methinks. :P

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    not necassary by any means.

JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    not necassary by any means.
    bein the "supplement guru" and all is there anything that u feel, is necessary besides protein powders (i take mine when i wake up and pre/post workout)? if ur training, diet, and rest is all good you should not have any need for supplements until u hit a plateau...that sound bought rite? sry i went a lil off topic.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    It's not nessesary, but I find that my creatine is abosorbed better. I am alittle more bloated/bulky with it.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Not needed PWO at all, however this is more of a Diet question. Search the diet forum I have touched on this quite a few times.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    So The 2:1 Dextrose To Protein Ratio PWO Is Crap?

copenhagen is offline Member
    no it is not crap, carbs to protein ratio is 2:1. the carb sources coming from oatmeal, dextrose,carb drinks, etc.

prolangtum is offline Senior Member
    during workout you may want something like malodextrin or even a bit of dextrose. but there is really no need for pure sugar PWO. Glycogen replenishment is not reliant on insulin .

as for what is necessary IMO....Multi Vit, Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Calcium, and protein. Id put creatine, green tea, and SesaThin on level 2. Everything else is for shits and giggles.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    during workout you may want something like malodextrin or even a bit of dextrose. but there is really no need for pure sugar PWO. Glycogen replenishment is not reliant on insulin .

as for what is necessary IMO....Multi Vit, Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Calcium, and protein. Id put creatine, green tea, and SesaThin on level 2. Everything else is for shits and giggles.
    agreed..i would stay away from dex IMO , as long as you're getting carbs pwo and ppwo you'l be alright, no need for that kind of spike in ur insulin

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    agreed..i would stay away from dex IMO , as long as you're getting carbs pwo and ppwo you'l be alright, no need for that kind of spike in ur insulin
    Crap what the hell happen to all the hype on dex pwo? I have been using a 50/50 mix of dex and malo with my whey PWO, so your saying it is not necessary? Sorry for the hijack

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kman
    Crap what the hell happen to all the hype on dex pwo? I have been using a 50/50 mix of dex and malo with my whey PWO, so your saying it is not necessary? Sorry for the hijack

there have been alot of studies done recently..i posted the most recebnt i found in the diet forum about a month ago..where they show no difference between high gui and low gi carbs pwo...its just the fact that you do nned carbs..i find dex in my pwo to make me tired and wanna take a nap..then i cant sleep at night..i'd stay away from dex

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    there have been alot of studies done recently..i posted the most recebnt i found in the diet forum about a month ago..where they show no difference between high gui and low gi carbs pwo...its just the fact that you do nned carbs..i find dex in my pwo to make me tired and wanna take a nap..then i cant sleep at night..i'd stay away from dex
    I have been looking for those studies, I must be blind cause I can't find anything. LInk??? Also you say it just a fact you just don't need carbs, I am not sure I agree with this. thanks for more info

I use it when I'm massing up, when its diet time it's out the window w/ sugars, besides fruit up until 4 weeks out.

Quote Originally Posted by kman
    I have been looking for those studies, I must be blind cause I can't find anything. LInk??? Also you say it just a fact you just don't need carbs, I am not sure I agree with this. thanks for more info
    No, you misinterpereted that. You do need carbs. What kind of carb makes no difference. The whole you have to spike insulin thing is far overblown and most evidence actually states the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    No, you misinterpereted that. You do need carbs. What kind of carb makes no difference. The whole you have to spike insulin thing is far overblown and most evidence actually states the opposite.
    Your right I thought he said you DON'T need carbs. My bad, so what would be your ideal PWO shake. I think I read in an old post you had a bagel with low fat cream cheese. No offense but I could never eat that. Thanks

Oats, Cream of Wheat, Milk....

Milk is for babies,,jk,,, won't the oats take along time to get into your system though?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    my ideal PWO shake is Nlarge2 with 800mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid taken just before to increase muscle glucose uptake.

IronAdam is offline Member
    Any links to these studies? The last 50 MD issues I've read said 50dex 50malto 50 whey is the best PWO nutrition, followed by a complex carb/lean protein meal 30-45 minutes later. When did the rules change...seriously, I've been away for a while.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam
    Any links to these studies? The last 50 MD issues I've read said 50dex 50malto 50 whey is the best PWO nutrition, followed by a complex carb/lean protein meal 30-45 minutes later. When did the rules change...seriously, I've been away for a while.

yo i have the last 3 issues of MD and have not seen that statement at all...can you point me in the direction of where it says that because i am kind of interested.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    bump.... subscribed

IronAdam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    yo i have the last 3 issues of MD and have not seen that statement at all...can you point me in the direction of where it says that because i am kind of interested.
    I'll take a look through my back issues when I get off work tonight.

Thread Information