Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    JNel04's Avatar
    JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    269

    Dextrose...Necessary?

    i was readin up a lil bit on dex and wanted to get ur guys opinions if it is worth buying for my PWO. when i was readin some old threads i saw that you can get some of the same results by eating fruits and other substances. just want some opinions if i should go buy this stuff or not.

  2. #2
    keth'naab's Avatar
    keth'naab is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    267
    it's insanely cheap, and fruits will not give you the same purity, you'll tend to get a good bit of fructose and sucrose as well.

    dextrose is a bit "soapy" in texture to me, but many people don't believe so. besides, you can't mix fruit into just any of your PWO shakes. grape juice wouldn't go too well with chocolate designer protein, methinks. :P

  3. #3
    prolangtum's Avatar
    prolangtum is offline Supplement Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,427
    not necassary by any means.

  4. #4
    JNel04's Avatar
    JNel04 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    not necassary by any means.
    bein the "supplement guru" and all is there anything that u feel, is necessary besides protein powders (i take mine when i wake up and pre/post workout)? if ur training, diet, and rest is all good you should not have any need for supplements until u hit a plateau...that sound bought rite? sry i went a lil off topic.

  5. #5
    cfiler's Avatar
    cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Training my ninja Degu
    Posts
    7,222
    It's not nessesary, but I find that my creatine is abosorbed better. I am alittle more bloated/bulky with it.

  6. #6
    Giantz11's Avatar
    Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,317
    Not needed PWO at all, however this is more of a Diet question. Search the diet forum I have touched on this quite a few times.

  7. #7
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    So The 2:1 Dextrose To Protein Ratio PWO Is Crap?

  8. #8
    copenhagen's Avatar
    copenhagen is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    PARTS UNKNOWN
    Posts
    898
    no it is not crap, carbs to protein ratio is 2:1. the carb sources coming from oatmeal, dextrose,carb drinks, etc.

  9. #9
    prolangtum's Avatar
    prolangtum is offline Supplement Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,427
    during workout you may want something like malodextrin or even a bit of dextrose. but there is really no need for pure sugar PWO. Glycogen replenishment is not reliant on insulin .


    as for what is necessary IMO....Multi Vit, Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Calcium, and protein. Id put creatine, green tea, and SesaThin on level 2. Everything else is for shits and giggles.

  10. #10
    Bigpup101's Avatar
    Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by prolangtum
    during workout you may want something like malodextrin or even a bit of dextrose. but there is really no need for pure sugar PWO. Glycogen replenishment is not reliant on insulin .


    as for what is necessary IMO....Multi Vit, Fish Oil, Vitamin C, Calcium, and protein. Id put creatine, green tea, and SesaThin on level 2. Everything else is for shits and giggles.
    agreed..i would stay away from dex IMO , as long as you're getting carbs pwo and ppwo you'l be alright, no need for that kind of spike in ur insulin

  11. #11
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    agreed..i would stay away from dex IMO , as long as you're getting carbs pwo and ppwo you'l be alright, no need for that kind of spike in ur insulin
    Crap what the hell happen to all the hype on dex pwo? I have been using a 50/50 mix of dex and malo with my whey PWO, so your saying it is not necessary? Sorry for the hijack

  12. #12
    Bigpup101's Avatar
    Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by kman
    Crap what the hell happen to all the hype on dex pwo? I have been using a 50/50 mix of dex and malo with my whey PWO, so your saying it is not necessary? Sorry for the hijack

    there have been alot of studies done recently..i posted the most recebnt i found in the diet forum about a month ago..where they show no difference between high gui and low gi carbs pwo...its just the fact that you do nned carbs..i find dex in my pwo to make me tired and wanna take a nap..then i cant sleep at night..i'd stay away from dex

  13. #13
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    there have been alot of studies done recently..i posted the most recebnt i found in the diet forum about a month ago..where they show no difference between high gui and low gi carbs pwo...its just the fact that you do nned carbs..i find dex in my pwo to make me tired and wanna take a nap..then i cant sleep at night..i'd stay away from dex
    I have been looking for those studies, I must be blind cause I can't find anything. LInk??? Also you say it just a fact you just don't need carbs, I am not sure I agree with this. thanks for more info

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    the gym
    Posts
    4,195
    I use it when I'm massing up, when its diet time it's out the window w/ sugars, besides fruit up until 4 weeks out.

  15. #15
    Giantz11's Avatar
    Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,317
    Quote Originally Posted by kman
    I have been looking for those studies, I must be blind cause I can't find anything. LInk??? Also you say it just a fact you just don't need carbs, I am not sure I agree with this. thanks for more info
    No, you misinterpereted that. You do need carbs. What kind of carb makes no difference. The whole you have to spike insulin thing is far overblown and most evidence actually states the opposite.

  16. #16
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    No, you misinterpereted that. You do need carbs. What kind of carb makes no difference. The whole you have to spike insulin thing is far overblown and most evidence actually states the opposite.
    Your right I thought he said you DON'T need carbs. My bad, so what would be your ideal PWO shake. I think I read in an old post you had a bagel with low fat cream cheese. No offense but I could never eat that. Thanks

  17. #17
    Giantz11's Avatar
    Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,317
    Oats, Cream of Wheat, Milk....

  18. #18
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    Milk is for babies,,jk,,, won't the oats take along time to get into your system though?

  19. #19
    kaptainkeezy04's Avatar
    kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    2,272
    my ideal PWO shake is Nlarge2 with 800mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid taken just before to increase muscle glucose uptake.

  20. #20
    IronAdam's Avatar
    IronAdam is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    861
    Any links to these studies? The last 50 MD issues I've read said 50dex 50malto 50 whey is the best PWO nutrition, followed by a complex carb/lean protein meal 30-45 minutes later. When did the rules change...seriously, I've been away for a while.

  21. #21
    kaptainkeezy04's Avatar
    kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by IronAdam
    Any links to these studies? The last 50 MD issues I've read said 50dex 50malto 50 whey is the best PWO nutrition, followed by a complex carb/lean protein meal 30-45 minutes later. When did the rules change...seriously, I've been away for a while.

    yo i have the last 3 issues of MD and have not seen that statement at all...can you point me in the direction of where it says that because i am kind of interested.

  22. #22
    oldman's Avatar
    oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,607
    bump.... subscribed

  23. #23
    IronAdam's Avatar
    IronAdam is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    yo i have the last 3 issues of MD and have not seen that statement at all...can you point me in the direction of where it says that because i am kind of interested.
    I'll take a look through my back issues when I get off work tonight.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •