Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    yes its main downfall is its cost however you may not need nearly as much as regular Vit C to see the same effects.

Regular version is much more cost effective though

*Alex* is offline Senior Member
    johan what do you think about centrum a to zinc vitamins? worth taking it or not?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan2
    yes its main downfall is its cost however you may not need nearly as much as regular Vit C to see the same effects.

Regular version is much more cost effective though
    Im not 100% sure about that. vitamin c greatest asset is that its a non toxic powerfull antioxidant that doesnt have any upper limit to its effects. If neutralizing free radicals is the effect we want I think mega dosages is required.

The longer half life would be a advantage but how much longer is it? Regular ascorbic acid has a half life of 30 minutes if I dont remember wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by alex7674
    johan what do you think about centrum a to zinc vitamins? worth taking it or not?
    Is this centrum some kind of brand?? Never heard of it?

Increased insulin sensitivity, improved joints and energy only seems to come with very large dosages(>10 grams) aswell. Im not sure about the dosage for its nitric oxide promoting effects and its positive effects on the blood vessels though.

I would be interested in trying the fat soluble. If I could find it decently cheap. Sounds like regular vitamin c, the fat soulable and vitamin e would be a great combo to fight LDL oxidation

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    how long does it take for u to start noticing the effects? I did 10 grams of acorbic acid today, split into 5 2 gram doses, all take with meals, didnt notice any stomach problems taken in this way. Obvs I dont expect results this quickly, im just interested as to when u reckon Ill notice the difference.

Myka is offline Made Of Sugar
    Thank you Johan for sharing all this information with us...I think I will be trying this soon...

I am also interested in how long it usually takes to see results...and do you have to take it with a meal? I thought the body could only use 1g at a time every 30 minutes?

If I have been on a low dosage and jump up to 20g/day I imidietly notice the energy. Thats and hypoglycemia when not used to it is the only effects I realy notice fast.
    Improved joints comes gradualy over a couple of weeks. My knees went from horrid to great in like 3 months.

Except the energy that for me was pretty damn overwhelming there is no other major big noticable effect(offcourse if you got poor joints you will notice how damn good they become).
    Most of the effects are subtle and can take a while to notice. Like the feeling of improved well beeing.

The most dramatic effect is if you are sic and down like 40-50 grams. Almost ALL symptoms of the cold/flu ect goes away completely in a few hours. Like turning of a switch on the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid
    Thank you Johan for sharing all this information with us...I think I will be trying this soon...

I am also interested in how long it usually takes to see results...and do you have to take it with a meal? I thought the body could only use 1g at a time every 30 minutes?

there is no difference that I know betwen taking it on empty stomach or with a meal. The body is very efficient in absorbing vitamin c.
    If you go with ascorbic acid I would suggest you take it with a meal to combat the acidity a bit and also lower the gi of the carbs in the meal.

The halflife of vitamin c is around 30 minutes. But there is no real max blood level that you cant exceed. But taking 10 grams once a day would be less effective then taking 5 grams spread out on 5 servings. Try to split the c into 5 dosages.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Are the pills ok or do you suggest powder?

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    yeah my stomach is a wimp aswell.

You can find sodium ascorbate pretty much everywhere. It can be found DIRT cheap online. Dont go with the pills, go with the powder. Spread it out over 3-5 servings each day.
    This is what he says about pills...

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I <3 my Vit C. I take 1G a day, and feel that my recovery is much better!

Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    Are the pills ok or do you suggest powder?

yes as newkid quoted I much prefer powder. There is nothing "wrong" with pills. But since we are talking about many pills a day it soon becomes very expensive and you get alot of fillers into you. The powder is easier to spread out aswell. I just mix down 20g in a bottle of water and put it in the frigde(it got to be keept cool and dark when solved in water)and chug some down everytime Im in the kitchen.

Johan did you say to supplement with biotin while megadosing...I couldnt find where you said that but I was sure I heard it...

Johan did you say to supplement with biotin while megadosing...I couldnt find where you said that but I was sure I heard it...
    cant say I remember ever posting that Wouldnt hurt to do it but I dont know if it would have any specific advantage with megadosages of vitamin c. Il look into it.

DoubleMint is offline New Member
    What about chewable C with orange juice ?? I got some, 500 x 500mg tablets last night at Costco, It says that the 500mg is derived from 250mg ascorbic acid and 281mg sodium ascerbate, it also says that it is sweetened with Sorbitol and Splenda. All I can say it's very very addictive, it tastes like candy, so far I had 10g today, 1 g/hr.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Johan or the supplement gurus:

I read in Optimum Sports Nutrition (old version) that Dr. Micheal Colgan believes that high doses of Vitamin C will boost test levels. I experimented this and woke up with fierce morning wood. Have you heard anything about Vitamin C boosting test levels?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    it surpresses cortisol...dunno if that leads to test levels increasing

Quote Originally Posted by Papi93
    Johan or the supplement gurus:

I read in Optimum Sports Nutrition (old version) that Dr. Micheal Colgan believes that high doses of Vitamin C will boost test levels. I experimented this and woke up with fierce morning wood. Have you heard anything about Vitamin C boosting test levels?
    I have never seen any study showing a connection betwen vit c and test levels. If you still got that papper can you se if he refered to any abstracts?? It sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleMint
    What about chewable C with orange juice ?? I got some, 500 x 500mg tablets last night at Costco, It says that the 500mg is derived from 250mg ascorbic acid and 281mg sodium ascerbate, it also says that it is sweetened with Sorbitol and Splenda. All I can say it's very very addictive, it tastes like candy, so far I had 10g today, 1 g/hr.
    unless you react porly to sweeteners I se no real reason not to keep on chewing them except price

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    I am on day 3, maybe 4 on 10grams of C.. I thought my stomach was going to burn out on this ascorbic acid because I have not had a chance to buy the other kind.. Ihave a 250 pill (1 gram) bottle already of the ascorbic acid so I was using it..

now it does not seen to be upsetting my stomach as much.. when do you think I will start to notice any pain relief in my joints doing this? anything else I may notice earlier so I know it is workijng at all.

thanks

Oldman

Quote Originally Posted by oldman
    I am on day 3, maybe 4 on 10grams of C.. I thought my stomach was going to burn out on this ascorbic acid because I have not had a chance to buy the other kind.. Ihave a 250 pill (1 gram) bottle already of the ascorbic acid so I was using it..

now it does not seen to be upsetting my stomach as much.. when do you think I will start to notice any pain relief in my joints doing this? anything else I may notice earlier so I know it is workijng at all.

thanks

Oldman
    most people doesnt have a problem with ascorbic acid so go continue with it by all means.

In a few months the joints should be good I recon. Do you have alot of problems? My knees went from downright horrid to totaly healed in 3 months or so.

other things you should notice is energy, less prone to catch colds ect.

most people doesnt have a problem with ascorbic acid so go continue with it by all means.

In a few months the joints should be good I recon. Do you have alot of problems? My knees went from downright horrid to totaly healed in 3 months or so.

other things you should notice is energy, less prone to catch colds ect.

I have the worst joint issues it actually had me to the point of not being able to lift for a long time. I am using Deca which has helped some and I am back into the swing of things but this cycle is done in 3-4 weeks and I hoped this VitC would kick in a little during my downtime. I know it is not a cure all but I have tried everything and nothing seems to work and none of the doctors can tell me what is wrong with all the x-rays and blood tests and bloody pain pills they always want to hand out.

Oldman

Since your problems are so bad I would suggest a aggrsive apporach.

Some day when you are at home all day do this. Down 10 grams of vitamin c imidietly, then take 2 grams every 30 minutes until you get a disturbed stomach, keep on taking until you get dihareea, gas and stomach pain. Write down what dosage made it appear(its like flipping a switch, at say 19 grams there is no problem but 20 BLAM the dihareea arrives). Now the dosage that gave you diareea, lower it with maby 2 grams and stick with that dosage daily.
    Also if you do this, let me know what your tollerance dosage is. Its its very much above 20grams its usualy a sign that something fishy is going on in the body.

down some glucosamine aswell. Be sure to get all the necesary minerals. Vitamin c will increase absorption of most of them. Im sure your already supplementing with omega 3's??

I hope vitamin c will be as good for you as it was for me. After a leg workout I could hardly straighten my legs for several days. Forget about walking in stairs. I had to wrap my knees for just about every leg exercise. Now I dont need to wrap and havent feel the slightest pain for several months and I have exceeded my old squat 1rm. It was truly a miracle for me.

I will do this tomorrow. I work from my home so I am here all the time anyway.

I have been taking 3 grams at a time 3-4 times a day but I will take 10 as soon as I get home from my 5am cardio and start it then and let you know.

I do take Flax and Borage oils as well as CLA

I will put my laptop in the bathroom and let you know hee

Thanks I appreciate your insight on this stuff.

Oldman (the nice one)

no problem bro I have bowel tollerance dosage isnt as uncomfterable for you as it usualy is for me. But only a one time thing anyway.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I have never seen any study showing a connection betwen vit c and test levels. If you still got that papper can you se if he refered to any abstracts?? It sounds interesting.
    I have the book at home (at work right now). I check it out. Thanks Johan.

hocoathlete is offline Associate Member
    I didnt know vit C can burn fat? what kind of fat burning are we talking about? anything noticable? and how long?

Has anyone experienced the inability to sleep while megadosing C? Im already an energetic person and no joke...I havent slept in two days...

I just took a two hour nap before a final and I aced it. It is now evening and I havent really slept in 48 hrs and Im not tired...Am I weird? I feel perfectly normal...

Has anyone experienced the inability to sleep while megadosing C? Im already an energetic person and no joke...I havent slept in two days...

I just took a two hour nap before a final and I aced it. It is now evening and I havent really slept in 48 hrs and Im not tired...Am I weird? I feel perfectly normal...

Sleep is overrated.. You can get more work done if you don't sleep

Sleep is overrated.. You can get more work done if you don't sleep
    Yeah...I cant say I mind. I just go to class and do my thing during the day then whore the threads at night then do it all again when the sun comes up...

Quote Originally Posted by hocoathlete
    I didnt know vit C can burn fat? what kind of fat burning are we talking about? anything noticable? and how long?
    It was noticable to me when I threw it in at the end of my cutter. My weightloss had stalled but I went back to losing 1 ib/week when I got on the vitamin c. Without doing any change to diet. Its not a dramatic difference.

Poliquin on the other hand claims several bf% reduction within days if you use vitamin c IV at dosage of 100+ grams.

I noticed the same in the begining. So I stopped taking vitamin c in the evening. Atleast not high dosages. Maby just 1g before beed. But dont worry, this effect goes away pretty quickly.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I checked for my book and I forgot my brother has it at his home (125 miles away). Anyway, the book was Optimum Sports Nutrition by Dr. Micheal Colgan (he runs the Colgan Institute). Good read. He recommends supplementing with 2-12g of Vitamin C daily. Sorry about that.

Johan I think I am going to be sick.. I may have bought the wrong stuff.. Okay I have not had a chance to get to the store until today.. I have been taking 10-12 grams per day of regular VitC and no more stomach upsets.. I did not get a chance to do the 10grams at once +++ like you said.. It has been so crazy around here I have been in and out of the office too much to be "toilet dependent"

anyway I thought while I was up near a local Natural food store I would pick up some power VitC.. I asked for the stuff you said but the lady said the Sodium version will screw up my already high blood pressure and gave me Ascorbic acid with calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and potassium citrate which I guess is to cut the acid??

anyway it is 2 grams per teaspoon so I thought heck lets throw a tablespoon of it in my protein shake (6 grams).. I have never tasted anything so gross in my life.. I had to thrown the shake away.. ugh ugh!!

Is this stuff really this bad tasting or did I get the wrong stuff.. oh my!!

Oldman

USMCSS is offline Associate Member
    there is not much sodium in sodium ascorbate. Cant remember exact amount but not that many miligrams for each gram. Vitamin c is a little diuretic anyway so any possible water retention by the sodium would be negated by that effect. Drink plenty of water though since I notice its easy to get headaches from lots of sodium ascorbate of getting dehydrated.

You should give digestion enzymes a go bro and probiotics.
    Just got my order of 3lbs of the sodium ascorbate today. One level tablespoon is 1.9 grams and contains 210mgs of sodium per tablespoon. Seems like that would be ALOT of sodium for 10 grams of the stuff a day. That's adding roughly 1000mgs of sodium to my diet a day. I hope you're right about the no water retention thing as I'm on a cycle of cyp as it is.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridla
    THis stuff is awsome!
    Johan Is the F****** mann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Energy level is out the roof. Strength outta this world. FAt is melting better than clen anyday the of the week!!!!!!!!!!!
    All U bross gotta try it!!!!!!!!!!!
    15mgs a day and some days 10mgs
    i take atleast 9 grams of vitamin c a day and it does not strip fat off better than clen and i have not noticed any strength gains.

anyway I thought while I was up near a local Natural food store I would pick up some power VitC.. I asked for the stuff you said but the lady said the Sodium version will screw up my already high blood pressure and gave me Ascorbic acid with calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and potassium citrate which I guess is to cut the acid??

anyway it is 2 grams per teaspoon so I thought heck lets throw a tablespoon of it in my protein shake (6 grams).. I have never tasted anything so gross in my life.. I had to thrown the shake away.. ugh ugh!!

Is this stuff really this bad tasting or did I get the wrong stuff.. oh my!!

Oldman
    Yes those 3 things are acid buffers. But getting to much potassium isnt good. How much per 100 grams of powder is potassium and calcium??
    Hope you can stomach that stuff

Sodium ascorbate just tastes a bit salty. I doubt it would have made the blood pressure worse since vitamin c dilates blood vessels so it would acctualy lower it. Any negative impact from the sodium would most likely be balanced by the positive from the ascorbate.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS
    Just got my order of 3lbs of the sodium ascorbate today. One level tablespoon is 1.9 grams and contains 210mgs of sodium per tablespoon. Seems like that would be ALOT of sodium for 10 grams of the stuff a day. That's adding roughly 1000mgs of sodium to my diet a day. I hope you're right about the no water retention thing as I'm on a cycle of cyp as it is.
    Vitamin c is sligthely diuretic so the sodium wont do anything. Il quote swolecat in that sodium isnt even a issue if water intake is keept high. There is more sodium in a bad of potato chips anyway if I remember right. Add a extra liter of water a day if you are worried

Well I have it inthe bag to take back away but here is what it is.

Per Serving 1/2 teaspoon
    ascorbic acid 1 gram
    calcium carb - 200mg
    magnesium carb - 100mg
    potassium citrate - 50 mg

so that would be times 15 for a daily dose of 15 grams of VitC.

I guess that would be a bit high.

Okay I will return these and just order the other stuff and not worry about it.

Thanks!!

Oldman

When you go with the sodium ascorbate. Run a check on the bloodpressure just to be 100% sure aswell. I have naturaly low bloodpressure thank god. I regulary monitor my bloodpressure anyway(I have one of those automatic wrist bloodpressure meters at home)and I never noticed any difference form the vitamin c.

Check this site for blood pressure lowering vitamins and minerals
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/contdis/bp.html
    They are a bit more conservatite about dosages then I am but a good site anyway. Not realy preserving the legacy of Pauling though.

Thanks!! That is a very interesting site. I will need to look over all of those.

I will let you know how it goes from here on the VitC

peace_frog is offline Associate Member

Is this a new developement? Or do you sometimes go without sleep for days anyways? People who are bi polar can go days without sleep especially if your are prone to being manic(ulta high energy and motivation!!). I sleep like poopoo as well. Interested to know if youve always had bad sleep, or its new with the vit. c. I use melatonin, but its not stong enough for me or something, even at 9mg. Im planning on high dosing C , but i may have to back off in the evening or get a better sleep formula.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information