powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

melatonin for better sleep?

Just wanted some feedback from anyone who has used it. I am about to start supplementing it and see what happens. Stacked with ZMA of course! haha

BajanBastard is offline VET Retired
    I love it. 3-6mg about 30min-1hour before bed. Sure to time it so you can get a solid 8 or even up to 10 hours sleep. It also aids in fat loss (studies), it loses effect with continued use tho. So use it when you need it.

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Valerian root is great as well

Quote Originally Posted by big k.l.g
    it loses effect with continued use tho. So use it when you need it.
    It says on bottle to "limit use to two months with a break of one week". I had another question about it...isn't melatonin what gives skin its color? Would this make me darker?

PowerHouse555 is offline Associate Member
    melatonin + ZMA + GABA = the best night of sleep in your life...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    It says on bottle to "limit use to two months with a break of one week". I had another question about it...isn't melatonin what gives skin its color? Would this make me darker?
    No bro ur thinking of melanin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC
    No bro ur thinking of melanin
    Haha, yeah I got confused. I think I mistaked melatonin with melanotan, which would be melanin.

USMCSS is offline Associate Member
    Melatonin doesn't phase me. Nothing really does except STRONG prescription drugs.

Just an FYI for those who want to take it and live in desert climates. I have been told by SEVERAL physicians that melatonin is useless to those who live in the desert. Not exactly sure why, but all three said that the climate already causes the body to do what melatonin does.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS
    Melatonin doesn't phase me. Nothing really does except STRONG prescription drugs.

Just an FYI for those who want to take it and live in desert climates. I have been told by SEVERAL physicians that melatonin is useless to those who live in the desert. Not exactly sure why, but all three said that the climate already causes the body to do what melatonin does.
    I am guessing you are a Marine stationed in a desert? Man, proper sleep is even more important in the military. ZMA has helped me dream better and sleep a little deeper, if you havent tried it I recommend it. Good luck

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    i use 3mg of melatonin and one serving of ZMA everynight before bed and i sleep amazingly...and ive read a book by the guy that founded melatonin and he says you will never build tolerance to it, its just that some people need more than others...i sleep nonstop 8-9 hours everynight...when i do finally wake up though it feels like my bladder is about to burst open.

USMCSS is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    I am guessing you are a Marine stationed in a desert? Man, proper sleep is even more important in the military. ZMA has helped me dream better and sleep a little deeper, if you havent tried it I recommend it. Good luck
    No I'm out now. I live in Georgia now but am from Arizona originally. I'm lucky enough to have Xanex AND Ambien on hand for sleep if need be but am interested in the ZMA. Can you link me to something that tells more about?

Quote Originally Posted by USMCSS
    No I'm out now. I live in Georgia now but am from Arizona originally. I'm lucky enough to have Xanex AND Ambien on hand for sleep if need be but am interested in the ZMA. Can you link me to something that tells more about?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/zma.html

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    the site doesnt telll you much about the deep sleep you get from it but it explains everything from more test production to better strength gains.

hulkzer is offline Associate Member
    doesn't work for everyone. i tried it and couldn't fall asleep for like 4hrs.
    zer_

peace_frog is offline Associate Member
    You really have to take it when you are seriously ready to fall asleep. You will certainly "feel" it kick in, it gives you this groggy feeling. Just make sure not to get interested in a movie or anything else after taking it. For me, i can out last melatonin even at 9mg. If you are ready to sleep tho, this certainly will put you over the edge. Its good stuff if youre not cronicly prone to poor sleep. Be prepared for very VIVID dreams also. I would recommed you start with 1mg pills to assess how much you need. I found at times i would take 1mg, then when it kicked in so i was a bit tired, id take one more and go lay down. It takes about 20mins to kick in, so as you may lay there resting, almost falling asleep, the 2nd pill kicks in and you probably wont wake up again til someone wakes you.

If a late protein shake tends to make you feel more awake like it can sometimes(at least for me) melatonin can help that too. I find it doesnt make much difference if i take it with or without food, except maybe in how soon it kicks in.

jsimon is offline Associate Member
    melatonin I love it.

Veretta21 is offline Junior Member
    Anyone ever hear anything about melatonin being really hard on the liver?

Bryan2 is offline Supplement Guru
    for all of the guys that state it doesnt work for you that great anymore you should look into tryptophan it was banned for sale to humans but you can still find it for your animals wink wink!

Brent_G is offline Associate Member
    i use it when i need it. If im up late stressed out thinking to much ill pop a 3mg melatonin and i usually pass out about 20-30 mins later.

It really helps me regulate my sleep habits. But like people mentioned above try not to use it everyday. just use it when you have a hard time falling asleep.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    My 2 boys who are 6 and 7 and have ADHD take it at night, they use 3mg each 1 1/2 hours before bed and and doze off real well i cant say they stay asleep the whole night though.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Ive been using it at a dose of 6mg for like 2 years with no stop and it still puts me out.

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    ....Well, it works for me too but I have the WEIRDEST dreams on it......
    visuals straight out of an M.C. Escher painting!
    Strange - but I like it!

skribbble is offline Member
    form some reason zma actually pumps me up. I stay awake forever when i take zma haha weird huh? Ive taken it before workouts and was focused the whole time. For some reason it works like caffine for me?

Thread Information