Hey everybody. My name is Corey, i'm 18 years old im from Staten Island NY and Im currently attending the University of Tampa. I currently lift 5 days a week run 5 days a week keep a healthy diet, but I absolutely hate my body. I will try to explain everything in hope some expierenced person on this forum can give me in depth help to an entire new workout plan, eating routine and possible supplements to help me.

I have always been a chunky kid all my life and I hit my heaviest around when I was 16. I was 210, 5'6, 38 inch waist, completely fat. In about 6 months I dropped down to 160, no definition just scrawny. Currently Im at around 175-180 5'10 and believe I have decent muscularity but I just hate how I look (will post pics soon). I have a 34 inch waist, and clothes I once fit in over the summer dont fit anymore which really bothers me. My goal isnt really to get huge, but to have the slim cut look. Being around peers who generally have this I feel somewhat bulkier and dont like it. I personally think its very mental, but i absolutely despise my love handles, little roll, and fat that hugs around the waist of jeans on the back.

Current Lifting Routine: In this order for the past many months, in need of an entire routine to achieve the goal above.

Monday:Chest
    Flat Bench: 12/165 10/180 8/190
    Incline Dumbel Press: 12/60 10/65 8/70
    Decline Dumbel Press: 12/60 10/65/ 8/70
    Cable Flies Bottom: 12/30 10/40 8/40
    Fly Machine

Tuesday:Arms
    Biceps
    Cable Curls: 12/80 10/90 8/100
    Suppenating sit down curls: 25/10 each arm 30/10 35/10 40/6
    preacher curls: 8/75 8/75 6/85
    Not sure what this is called - Standing up as if u were flexing cable curls: 12/30 12/40 12/40
    Triceps
    Behind the head Tricep dumbel press: 65/12 70/10 75/8
    Cable triangle pushdowns: 12/100 10/120 8/130
    Standup rope over the head: 12/80 10/90 8/100
    Dumbell or Cable kickbacks 10/12 15/10 20/8

Wednesday:Legs

Smith squat
    Machine quad excercise
    lunges
    calf raises

Friday:Back
    Close grip pulldowns 12/130 10/140 8/150
    Widegrip pull downs same
    close grip rows same
    bent over rows dumbels 12/55 10/60 8/70

Saturday: Shoulders/Traps
    dumbell press 12/50 10/55 8/60
    lat raises: 12/15 10/15 8/20
    Machine where it looks like ur flapping for the sides
    front dumbell lifts
    arnold press

dumbell shrugs
    barbell shrugs

Everyday I try to run about 3 miles, or 30 minutes of cardio. I do varios ab excercises about 3 -4 days a week.

I currently take On Whey 1 scoop after I lift as well as sometimes before I go to sleep. Ive tried many fat burners over the past year while lifting, redline,thermoburn,stacker and currently im trying animal cuts. Nothing ever seems to work. Ive triew CLA with L Carnatine and Multi Vitamins no help still have that same belly fat.

Ive tried a few creatines nothing I really stuck with. Cellmass didnt like how I felt, Trac poweder saw no differnce, and currently liquid vitol drops, I see some improvement but I think its increasing my body fat and body size right now, which ironically isnt what I want to do.

At college its hard to keep a strict diet but I try.
    Morning, egg white omelette with vegetableas - sometimes fruit and cottage cheese - cup of coffee

2 small lunchers - salad with vegetables,egg white, loq fat dressing, turkey or a wrap. The cafeteria has various things a deli station,sald station, and cereal and fruit station which is always avaiable during meal hours. Then there is classics,Internation,Grill,Pizzeria and Vegetarion which i try to stay away from becuase usually each dish is small and had 700 calories or so.

Using everything you guys know and the dipiction I tried to give you guys, please help me formulate some lifting strategy,eating strategy, supplement help you can offer me. Keep in mind I dont want to become huge, just extremely lean,cut,toned, with some decent size. I see people my same body weight and much more ripped,cut and bigger fitting into smaller clothing which makes it very hard for me to keep what im doing.

After coming this far from how I was, I dont want to stop until perfection even if the abs never will come.

Flexor is offline Banned
    It sounds like your main goal is to get lean whilst also gaining some muscle mass. The answer is a smaller weight lifting routine and more cardio. I usually suggest a 3 maybe 4 day split anyway, but in this case its exactly appropriate.

Monday: chest, tris, shoulders

Tuesday: abs, cardio

Wednesday: back, bis, traps

Thursday: abs, cardio

Friday: quads, hams, calves

Saturday: rest

Sunday: cardio

Keep your exercises to compound (multi joint ones where you can go heavier than isolations) on these days, as you will hit more muscle groups and more muscle fibres and it will abbreviate your routine whilst you will also be building muscle. Stay away from machines and cables as they are not conducive to building mass. You want to get deadlifts in there as well, unless you naturally have a bad back.

At your weight you should be able to do pullups and not pulldowns. Pullups are superior for mass. Concentrate on pullups with an underhand palms facing you grip with your hands shoulder width apart. This will hit your lats and biceps and negate the need for small bicep isolations. If you can't do them then stick with some pulldowns but attempt negative pullups (from the up position lowering down). Keep the supinating curls, they are great. For triceps, try to get dips and close grip bench in there and skullcrushers, leaving out the other isolations. Drop kickbacks, they are useless.

So as an example, your monday routine may go like this. Its compact and hits all the muscles. Flat bench, incline and close grip bench will hit your front delts plenty, but if you feel not add military presses.

Flat bench x 3
    Incline db press x 3
    Dips x 3
    Close grip bench x 3
    Skullcrushers x 3
    Lateral raises x 3

The rest of your routine is sound.

For your cardio, you want 45 mins but no more. This allows fat burning to start and gives you enough time to get enough of it in. At 65% maximum heart rate (220 - age x 0.65) calorie burning of fat is maximised, so this is your ideal range. Get on the incline treadmill, elliptical trainer or exercise bike and as soon as you hit 65% MHR time yourself for 45 mins. Cardio in the morning before breakfast is best in terms of burning fat, but if you cannot manage that even with a cup of coffee, leave it late in the day with 2-3 hours since your last meal consisting of fat and protein. That is the next best alternative. Personally I love AM cardio, wakes you up and gives you a good feeling!

Post back about what you think, and ask more if you need.
    Last edited by Flexor; 01-02-2006 at 04:47 AM.

Wow thank you very much. One thing when you say x3, how many repetitions do you think I should be doing to get the maximum lean goal I'm looking for.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyTampa09
    Wow thank you very much. One thing when you say x3, how many repetitions do you think I should be doing to get the maximum lean goal I'm looking for.
    Cutting is not dependent on repetitions. Shoot between 8-12 for mass building. Higher reps will increase your endurance capacity and will not lead to much size gain, but they will possibly give you a harder cardio workout. I suggest 12 reps because of this, and a break of 60 seconds between sets to keep your heart rate high. You can have a longer rest though, see how you feel. Squat at 15-20 reps.

You can do your weight training almost cardio style to help with fat loss, whilst still putting mass on.

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    Hey everybody. My name is Corey, i'm 18 years old im from Staten Island NY and Im currently attending the University of Tampa. I currently lift 5 days a week run 5 days a week keep a healthy diet, but I absolutely hate my body. I will try to explain everything in hope some expierenced person on this forum can give me in depth help to an entire new workout plan, eating routine and possible supplements to help me.

I have always been a chunky kid all my life and I hit my heaviest around when I was 16. I was 210, 5'6, 38 inch waist, completely fat. In about 6 months I dropped down to 160, no definition just scrawny. Currently Im at around 175-180 5'10 and believe I have decent muscularity but I just hate how I look (will post pics soon). I have a 34 inch waist, and clothes I once fit in over the summer dont fit anymore which really bothers me. My goal isnt really to get huge, but to have the slim cut look. Being around peers who generally have this I feel somewhat bulkier and dont like it. I personally think its very mental, but i absolutely despise my love handles, little roll, and fat that hugs around the waist of jeans on the back.

Current Lifting Routine: In this order for the past many months, in need of an entire routine to achieve the goal above.

Monday:Chest
    Flat Bench: 12/165 10/180 8/190
    Incline Dumbel Press: 12/60 10/65 8/70
    Decline Dumbel Press: 12/60 10/65/ 8/70
    Cable Flies Bottom: 12/30 10/40 8/40
    Fly Machine

Tuesday:Arms
    Biceps
    Cable Curls: 12/80 10/90 8/100
    Suppenating sit down curls: 25/10 each arm 30/10 35/10 40/6
    preacher curls: 8/75 8/75 6/85
    Not sure what this is called - Standing up as if u were flexing cable curls: 12/30 12/40 12/40
    Triceps
    Behind the head Tricep dumbel press: 65/12 70/10 75/8
    Cable triangle pushdowns: 12/100 10/120 8/130
    Standup rope over the head: 12/80 10/90 8/100
    Dumbell or Cable kickbacks 10/12 15/10 20/8

Wednesday:Legs

Smith squat
    Machine quad excercise
    lunges
    calf raises

Friday:Back
    Close grip pulldowns 12/130 10/140 8/150
    Widegrip pull downs same
    close grip rows same
    bent over rows dumbels 12/55 10/60 8/70

Saturday: Shoulders/Traps
    dumbell press 12/50 10/55 8/60
    lat raises: 12/15 10/15 8/20
    Machine where it looks like ur flapping for the sides
    front dumbell lifts
    arnold press

dumbell shrugs
    barbell shrugs

Everyday I try to run about 3 miles, or 30 minutes of cardio. I do varios ab excercises about 3 -4 days a week.

I currently take On Whey 1 scoop after I lift as well as sometimes before I go to sleep. Ive tried many fat burners over the past year while lifting, redline,thermoburn,stacker and currently im trying animal cuts. Nothing ever seems to work. Ive triew CLA with L Carnatine and Multi Vitamins no help still have that same belly fat.

Ive tried a few creatines nothing I really stuck with. Cellmass didnt like how I felt, Trac poweder saw no differnce, and currently liquid vitol drops, I see some improvement but I think its increasing my body fat and body size right now, which ironically isnt what I want to do.

At college its hard to keep a strict diet but I try.
    Morning, egg white omelette with vegetableas - sometimes fruit and cottage cheese - cup of coffee

2 small lunchers - salad with vegetables,egg white, loq fat dressing, turkey or a wrap. The cafeteria has various things a deli station,sald station, and cereal and fruit station which is always avaiable during meal hours. Then there is classics,Internation,Grill,Pizzeria and Vegetarion which i try to stay away from becuase usually each dish is small and had 700 calories or so.

Using everything you guys know and the dipiction I tried to give you guys, please help me formulate some lifting strategy,eating strategy, supplement help you can offer me. Keep in mind I dont want to become huge, just extremely lean,cut,toned, with some decent size. I see people my same body weight and much more ripped,cut and bigger fitting into smaller clothing which makes it very hard for me to keep what im doing.

After coming this far from how I was, I dont want to stop until perfection even if the abs never will come.

First off you should never hate your body its the best thing you can ever have and one must look after it!.

Secondly you should aim to get bigger,stonger and tighter than your college friends.you call them peers, make yourself a PEER!!!!.Dont go along with the trend look.B-unique and stand out.(a small thin slim toned body or a massive thick ripped beast)...i know which id have.

As far as your training goes i think there is a touch of overtraining.. Firstly i feel 5 days is far to much for you with regard to college e.t.c I would shoot for three days weight lifing and three days cardio,this is what i do and it really works.With regard to cardio do it in the morning on an empty stomach with a fat burner(all will be talked about soon) NOW JUST READ:-

Monday:- Chest/Triceps + delts
    As flexor says you hit both tricpes and delts really hard in a chest workout..So hit three birds with one stone..Delt wise i am talking about front and side.Rear delts will be hit on back day as mentioned l8r.

Flat Barbell bench:-will hit the chest triceps and delts
    Dips:- Triceps + Chest
    DB flys:- Chest
    Cable crossovers:- chest finisher
    Lying Tricep press:-Triceps

DB side lateral with cable laterals:-Get the shoulders pumped
    Barbell Military Press:- Hits front and side delts

Tuesday:-Cardio and Abs

Wedensday:-Back/traps+rear delts and Biceps
    With back you automatically hit traps and rear delts anyway as well as biceps..
    Widearm Chins or lat pulldowns:back,traps,foreams,bis
    Deadlifts:-lower back,traps, thighs e.t.c COMPOUND
    DB shrugs superset with upright rows:-2 sets of each SQUEEEEZEEEEEE EM TIGHT.
    Barbell Rows:-Traps,rear delts, back, bis..

Preacher curls:-Biceps
    DB standing Curls:- Bicpes,foreams

Thursday:- Cardio and abs

Friday:-Legs
    HIT em hard.if your legs are hit well they will help all the other body parts grow...IM SERIOUS ABOUT THAT COMMENT!

leg press
    lying leg curl
    leg extensions
    single leg curl or stiff legged db deads
    BURNOUT SET SQUATS

SATURDAY:- REST UP AND ENJOY THE BRAKE GET PLENTY OF REST

SUNDAY:-CARDIO AND ABS

GET PLENTY OF SLEEP
    DRINK PLENTY OF WATER

TRAIN FOR NO LONGER THAN AN HOUR IN YOUR WORKOUTS..MAKE SURE YOU GET IN AND HIT THEM REALLY!!!!!!!! HARD AND QUICK..GO TO FAILURE ON EVERYTHING AND USE WARM UP SETS TO GET THE BLOOD FLOWING....USE THE LIKES OF DROP SETS AND NEGATIVES TO COMPLETE THE FAILURE OF THE MUSCLE.........

AS FAR AS YOUR DIET GOES I THINK THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES...

DO THE CARDIO IN THE MORNING. AFTER THIS HAVE A GOOD SOLID6-7 MEALS.EAT EVERY 3-4 HOURS AND FOR A BOY LIKE YOU WHO IS WANTING TO LOOSE WEIGHT BASE ALL CARBS AROUND WORKOUT TIMES..

CUT DOWN ON SUGAR THORUGHT THE DAY ONLY USE IT AFTER WORKOUTS TO GET AN INSULIN SPIKE WHICH WILL HELP DRIVE NUTRIENTS INTO YOUR MUSCLE...HAVE IT WEE BIT DURING IF REQUIRES..

SUGAR RESULTS IN INSULIN RELEASE FROM THE PANCREAS..IF SAY YOU ARE PIEING OUT ON SUGARY FOODS LIKE CHOCOLATE OR SUGARY DRINKS YOUR BODY PRODUCES FARR TO MUCH INSULIN! IN RESPONSE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR DROPS AND YOU GET A SUGAR CRASH (LIGHT HEADED ,WEAK)YOU FEEL VERY HUNGRY AND USUALLY EAT ANHYTHING IN SIGHT..THIS PUTS ON WEIGHT..AND THE WORST COMBO IS IF YOUR HAVING A SUGAR CRASH AND YOU PIE OUT ON SOMTHING FATTY LIKE CHCOLATE/CHIPS..ALL THAT FAT GOES STRAGHT TO THEM HANDLES BOYYYYY!!!!

AS WELL AS EATING SUGARY FOODS AND GETTING A CRASH YOUR SUGAR ALSO BEGINS TO CRASH WHILST GOING WITHOUT FOOD FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME SUCH AS 4-HORS THAT IS WHY IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO EAT REGULARY.... AND WHILST YOUR BLOOD SUGAR HAS DROPPED AFTER A PERIOD OF 4 HOURS OR SO YOU WILL START TO BRAKE DOWN FAT AND MUSCLE THAT IS WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP AMINOS IN THE BLOOD..DNT GO TO LONG WITHOUT FOOD AND DONT STARVE YOURSELF EVER!!!!!!!!

SP MANIPULATE YOUR INSULIN LEVELS BY CHOSING LOW GLYCIMIC CARBS SUCH AS RICE , RICE CAKES, SWEET POTATOES E.T.C

HIGH INSULIN SPIKES WILL PUT ON WEIGHT

SUPPLEMENT WISE:-
    GLUTAMINE POWDER
    PROTEIN POWDER
    CREATINE
    CAFFINE
    EFA CAPSULAES(ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS)
    MULTIVITAMIN (COVER ALL YOUR MINERAL AND NUTRIONAL NEED)

DONT WORRY ABOUT TRYING BIG BRANDS LIKE CELLMASS AND OTHER BIG NAMES GET THE REGULAR CHEAP STUFFFFF.

MEAL ONE
    OATS
    FRUIT
    TIN OF TUNA
    EFA OILS(cod liver flaxseed e.t.c)
    MEAL TWO(PRE-WORKOUT)
    RICE
    CHICKEN LEAN SKINLESS
    VEGGIES
    MEAL 3(POST WORKOUT SHAKE)
    PROTEIN POWDER
    DEXTROSE POWDER
    CREATINE
    GLUTAMINE
    MEAL 4( AN HOUR AFTER WORKOUT SHAKE)
    POTATOES
    TURKEY
    VEGGIES
    MEAL 5 (START CUTTING CARBS)
    COUPLE RICE CAKES
    TIN OF TUNA VEGGIES
    MEAL 6 (STILL LOWERING CARBS)
    Veggies/tomatoes/salad e.t.c
    turkey breast ( LEAN)
    GLUTAMINE
    **DONT COMBINE CARBS WITH FATS,,INSULIN INCREASE WILL CARRY FATS OVER ESPECIALLY IF YOUVE BEEN CUTTING THEM DOWN THIS LATE IN THE DAY E.T.C**
    **FAT BURNER TIME** PLUS SOME CARDIO 30 MIN OPTIONAL
    MEAL 7(NO CARBS)
    4-5 EGG WHITES
    PEANUT BUTTER
    BROCHLLI,LETTUCE

*SINCE YOU HAVE BEEN CUTTING CARBS , YOU FEEL LIKE ABSOULTE SHITE!!!!!USE THE LIKES OF CAFFINE TO KEEP YOU SANE.WHEN YOU GO TO SLEEP AND WAKE UP YOUR GLYCOGEN WILL BE SOO LOW IN THE MORNING YOU CAN BE CONFIDENT YOU ARE DIGGIN INTO FAT CELLS FOR ENERGY AND NOTHING ELSE ,IMAGINE ALL OF IT ALL STRIPPING OFF IF YOU NEED MOTIVATION..45 MIN...TAKE YOUR FAT BURNER AND SOME GLUTAMINE TO PRESERVE MUSLE MASS IN THE MORNING..JUST IN CASE!!!!!

NOW AS FAR AS MENTAL PREPARATION GOES..JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU WANNA MAKE THE BEST OUT OF YOUR SELF AT ALL TIMES..SET YOUR SELF AIMS..YOU WANT TO SHAPE YOUR BODY IN TO A STATUE OF YOURSELF...RESPECT YOUR SELF LOVE YOUR SELF B UNIQUE...BE YOUR OWN NUMEBR ONE!!!! screw your mates there probably all living along with the rest of the world (bingers, scroungers, dnt give a **** about there body.....at least your doin somthing about it)
    Last edited by BIGPHIL; 01-02-2006 at 03:20 PM.

Should I also do cardio on the days of lifting. As for the other days could you possible formulate a workout routine minus cable pulldowns for back and other excerices utilizing that since my college doesnt have that. Thank You.

Thank you very much. If you can just elaborate on the supplements Im kind of out of the loop when it comes to the oils,caffeine,fat burner. If you can just tell me some brands or what not i should stick to that would be great.

The glutamine i just mix it with water and drink?

You listed my pre workout and post workout meals. What if I dont get a chance to work out in the morning, do I subsitute say meal 5 with 2 or vice versa? Thank you

BIGPHIL is offline Associate Member
    Thank you very much. If you can just elaborate on the supplements Im kind of out of the loop when it comes to the oils,caffeine,fat burner. If you can just tell me some brands or what not i should stick to that would be great.

The glutamine i just mix it with water and drink?

You listed my pre workout and post workout meals. What if I dont get a chance to work out in the morning, do I subsitute say meal 5 with 2 or vice versa? Thank you
    For me supplement wise these are the products i use and only use:-

Biotest Hotrox:-Good we fat burner,keeps hunger at bay for up to six hours so allows you to stick to your diet plan. All are pritty much the same,Stacker,xedarine,e.t.c However dont rely on fat burners for your weight loss...DIET IS KEY....however they will help with food cravings..

Creatine:-You can shoot for any cheap brand of creatine, no need to splash out on dear stuff like cell mass, cell tech, no xplode, v-12, bolt, or any other of those dear brans...Just get some regular creatine monhydrate or ethy ester..I live in Britain and i use PEAK BODY creatine comes in 100g tubs for a £1 a tub..works really well...i dont know wat you could get in America but somthing cheap....look to take creatine after workouts...i take twice a day....load up if you want not really necessary...get Creatine Ethyl Ester its better than monohydrate i just havent got round to it yet

Dextrose:-You can get this in any shop really,,basically just pure sugar...CREATES AN INSULIN SPIKE AFTER WORKOUTS.Very cheap stuff

Glutamine:-helps protect the muscle and provide an anabolic environment..buy a small tub and take whenever..One teaspoon at a time..Yes you do mix it in water or whatever beverage you use..take it before morning cardio before training after training and before bed..always keep it in your system.

You can take EFA or fish oil caps if you want however i like to use food for this ,which inculdes the likes of seeds,natural peanut butter e.t.c

yes with regard to your meals manipulate them so that all your carbs revolve around pre and post workout

any more questions just ask
    Last edited by BIGPHIL; 01-03-2006 at 04:03 AM.

Flexor is offline Banned
    Should I also do cardio on the days of lifting. As for the other days could you possible formulate a workout routine minus cable pulldowns for back and other excerices utilizing that since my college doesnt have that. Thank You.
    You should see how it goes with cardio on the separate days at first. If you are up to it you can maybe do some cardio on weights day, but usually it is not such a good idea even though a lot of people do it. Don't ever do cardio and weights at the same time.

If your college gym doesn't have a pulldown tower, the only other alternative to that is pullups with an assistance lever or negative pullups using a step to step up to the bar. Dumbell or barbell rows are similar auxilliary exercises, but you need some form of vertical row like chins or pulldowns. Your back routine is already pretty solid, you would just need deadlifts in there. Put the supinating curls and preacher curls after your back workout and add shrugs in there. Traps are on the back, work them on back day. This removes the need for a separate shoulder day, since you can do those few exercises on chest day.

Thread Information