06-21-2002, 02:09 AM #1Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2002
Why do you see women with cellulite and you dont in men?
06-21-2002, 02:47 PM #2
Men do get it, but less than women Why? Lots of factors. Well what is cellulite? Cellulite is the elastic proteins in the skin giving out (ok,ok stretching, thinning, splitting as well) under the stress of subcutaneous fat.
1) Men have less fat than women.
2) Men carry fat predominately on the stomach (and organs). not so much of a cellulite problem here
3) estrogen. it does two really bad things. it causes fat. and it prevents fat from going away. These are acutally two different things done by different mechanisms
4) not as much testosterone as men. testosterone helps stimulate repair of much of the body as well as grow muscle.
5) thryroid. women are much more likely to have low thyroid or other metablolic problems leading to weight gain or failure to repair tissues.
06-21-2002, 03:15 PM #3
Props to Jeffylyte
Very good reply!
06-21-2002, 03:24 PM #4Senior Member
- Join Date
- May 2002
How do you get rid of it?
06-23-2002, 08:58 AM #5
1) lose fat. its really the only way. there ae two spot reduction techniqes available.
a) yohimburn or some other cream like this (usually containing aminophylline and other stuff). it works by binding to certain receptors in the fat causing them to release thier energy (remember I said estrogen causes fat?). it works....some...but you have to be losing fat at the time to do anything. The study the formulations are based on are from injecting aminophyllline into one thigh of people on a weight lose diet. there was many inches difference in the two thighs at the end. the problem is that there is a big difference between injection and topical creams.
b) there is another cream out there that temporarily causes a contraction in the skin (maybe through dehydrating the outer layer?) it "reduces the appearance of cellulite". I know nobody who has used it, but supposedly it works. I have no idea how much though.
dont worry, if you lose weight they will come....or ...wait...something like that. anyway, even fitness competitors can get cellulite. about two years ago MnF had a profile on one (I dont remember her name, she was black, good looking, and named Lisa?) that complained about haveing cellulite during the offseason.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)