Iron horse is offline Anabolic Member

why is taking gluatmine "useless" if taken with a protien shake?

gluatmine is just an amino acid; and your protien shakes are just a bunch of amino acids which = protien.

so, why is this amino acid not absorbed like the others???? because all protien is amino acids right? whats the difference!

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    because you want glutamine to get absorbed fully and when you mix t with other aminos and protein hardly ny of it gets absorbed

then wouldnt that mean all the other amino acids arnt absorbed properly?

MeatHead03 is offline Associate Member
    do you take glutamine with your cycles?

i take it anytime i have it... why??

MeatHead03 is offline Associate Member
    just wondering on how effective it is with AS....not to knowledgeable about glutamine

guys just look at search there is like 80 good ones that should answer all your questions

all i want to know is why gluatmine is different then all the other amino acids, since it should be taken alone unlike the rest because its not absorbed properly.

just want evidence

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iron horse
    all i want to know is why gluatmine is different then all the other amino acids, since it should be taken alone unlike the rest because its not absorbed properly.

just want evidence
    [/QUOTe
    well glutamine is very expensive and i listen to every way i heard to take it......i heard this is the onlyway by even the worst companies so i will

hmmmmm.. ok

L- gultamine wont be absorbed properly
    but if you use gultamine peptides they will work with pro or carbs
    Xzoomzx is right theres nuff threads on this
    run a search

damn!!! im asking for research on WHY gluatmine isnt absorbed as well as other amio acids. Im not disagreeing, i just want the science behind it.

bronzebeefcake is offline Associate Member
    I dont know about protien/glutamine intake interferance though Ive read a post on creatine and glutamine blocking each other.....From what I read it takes the same propertys to absorb creatine and glutamine, therefore if both are taken at once one will be more likely to be absorbed thatn the other....Which one Im not sure....Now if all this is true why do some companys put all three into one drink?????

Originally posted by Iron horse
    damn!!! im asking for research on WHY gluatmine isnt absorbed as well as other amio acids. Im not disagreeing, i just want the science behind it.
    well there is probaly tests that have been done and not all aminos are the same so its very possible that some of them do not abosrb good when cmbined with others .....i mena there has to be research somewhere if you look harsd enogh check asts website....i read all my info on glutamine from there,,,,

ya, ast has a nice web. Im sure there's research. but thats what I want!

Pitbull is offline Junior Member

Question URL

What is the URL for ast's web site ?

isnt glutamine is THE MAIN amino acid for muscle repair and doesnt it get absorbed fast then othe amino acids?

isnt glutamine is THE MAIN amino acid for muscle repair and doesnt it get absorbed fast then othe amino acids?

they both compete for the same muscle receptors and there is only so many of them so when taken together they start to block each other out therefor not given you the desired results. When taken seperatly they get a much greater percentage absorbed into the muscles which is much more effective

amio acids are protien, they cant "compete" for muscle receptors.

LJ, I think your off a bit bro.

they dont compete for receptors they compete for "greatest" intake or digestion. glutamine is recommended on an empty stomach so you take advantage of absorbtion, thats it.

protien is amio acids, they dont block each other. But if your taking $$$ gluatmine when you want utilized since its the most abundent amio acid in the body.

NightOp is offline Member
    ok guys... L-glutamine is what won't be absorbed well when taken on anything but an empty stomach... meaning regardless if you have a protein shake or just a bowl of rice, the L-glutatmine will not be absorbed very well because the "food" in your stomach is being broken down by enzymes in your stomach and those enzymes are needed for proper L-glutamine absorbsion... don't ask why.. this is just what I've learned.

Now, Glutatmine Peptides which is totally different than L-glutamine, CAN be taken ANYTIME because they are in peptide form and do not have the problem that L-glutamine has with absorbtion when food is present....

Final note... MANY protein powders already have like 4 grams of glutamine peptides per serving.. if you are like me.. that means that you take at least 3 servings of protein powder already.. heance.. you get enough glutamine without having to supplement any extra... if your protein source does not have glutatmine peptides... try using 100% Whey Protein from optimum nutrition.... www.allsportsnutrition.com has a 10 pound bag for like 50 bucks after tax and shipping and everything..

hope this helps.

finneyc is offline New Member
    NightOp,

What about the Creatine/L-Glutimine stack like Weider Creatine ATP? Is this a solid product to supplement with the daily protein? It has 5g C and 3g L-G. I assume based on your discussion that it should be taken apart from the protein shake. Is it correct to assume you should take this before a workout and protein shake immediately after?

Thanks.

finneyc... I'm no expert and my previous post is just the best collection of info that i've obtained.

As to your question, I would forget that product... There is a debate over whether or not creatine's absorbtion is hindered by other amio acids/proteins when taken with them.... Creatine is best utilized when taken with simple and high GI carbs (such as dextrose and maltodextrine).

This is what I would do for ideal pre/post workout drink... you can tailor the carbs to meet your needs but here is a wonderful way to use creatine to its full potential.

<60 to 70 mins before your workout>

5 grams of Micronized Creatine Monohydrate
    30-50 grams of dextrose and/or maltodextrine
    200-300mg ALA (alpha lipoic acid)

<35 to 40 mins before your workout>

Whey Protein drink (i don't know your diet... take in the appropriate amount for your daily needs for this meal...)

<Immediately after workout>

5 grams of Micronized Creatine Monohydrate
    30-50 grams of dextrose and/or maltodextrine
    200-300mg ALA (alpha lipoic acid)

<20-30 mins after workout>

Whey Protein drink and possibly more carbs (complex) depending on your goals/needs...

Now, that is just a suggestion.. alot of ppl (including myself) have/do take all of the protein and creatine and carbs in one preworkout and one postworkout meal... but if you want to be sure that the protein is not bothering the creatine absorbtion... try something like what I have above...

As to your L-glutamine... save that for in between meals on an empty stomach... or just forget it and buy whey protein that already has glut peptides.... such as 100% Whey Protein from Optimum Nutrition.

www.allsportsnutrition.com
    www.proteinfactory.com

everything you will need can be found at those sites.. and protein factory can even custom mix anything such as a custom post workout powder to your specific requirements... hope this helps bro, take care.

oh ya, one more thing... i have posted a total of 10 grams of creatine per day.. that might be too much or too little... depending on your size.... I use creatine for a 2 weeks on, and 2 weeks off basis... saves money... safer (debatable)...... and UCLA med center research found it to be the most effective way to take creatine... just my opinion.. i dont want to open up a hornets nest here
    Last edited by NightOp; 07-08-2002 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks for the info NightOp

Thanks Op. The product I mentioned has Creatine, L-Glut, ALA, Turine(sp) and about 50mg of dextrose. I knew about "loading" creatine for five days (20g/day) and then keeping a daily dose of 10g. I wasn't aware of the 2-weeks on/off. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by finneyc
    Thanks Op. The product I mentioned has Creatine, L-Glut, ALA, Turine(sp) and about 50mg of dextrose. I knew about "loading" creatine for five days (20g/day) and then keeping a daily dose of 10g. I wasn't aware of the 2-weeks on/off. Thanks for the info.
    some ppl do it that way.. others don't.. For me, I like the 2weeks on, 2weeks off.... do whatever produces better results for you personally.

tryingtogain is offline Member
    ok whats up with that i take a protien shake with L-glutimine mixed in it and i was told to take glutimine on an empty stomuch humm its made buy eas to

if it has L-glutamine and not glutamine peptides then "according to theory" the L-glut is not being absorbed very well..... I would just finish what you have bought and then find a different brand or buy L-glut separate and take on an empty stomach... OR buy glut peptides and mix them in anytime.. i would opt for the first thing... that is change brands of protein.. alot cheaper and easier IMO

http://www.absolute-creatine.com/

Found this site on the When to take Creatine debate. Lots of good info on its use. My take is that they recommend you take it about 1 hour before workout to maximize the blood serum levels at the time you tear down the muscle. Haven't found a straight answer as to whether or not it "competes" with L-Glut or Protein. More to come.

http://www.massivemuscle.net/newsletter/9.htm and
    http://www.massivemuscle.net/newsletter/1.htm

Seem to suggest what has been debated here. They recommend taking L-Glut on an empty stomach and outside the time you take protein. Their argument is that the two supps compete for absorption and L-Glut loses.
    Last edited by finneyc; 07-12-2002 at 11:42 AM.

thx for the links.

Thread Information