Protien Before bed??? good/bad???

Hi all

Just wanted to know if it was a good idea to take protien before bed after a hard days workout......... I have heard from manyh ppl that this is a very important time to take it is that true??

Little_Jonah

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Of course. Just think about it. You will not be eating for approx 6-10 hours depending on how much you get to sleep. So taking in one last dose of protein will only benefit you. I always stick to straight protein mixed in water. This way I keep the carbs down before I go to sleep.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    You grow when you sleep, and you need protein to fuel the growth. A whey protein shake before bed won't cut it. Get casein or eat some real food. The longer it takes to break down and digest, the better.

PapaPump has a good quote for you.

Big_Dan is offline Associate Member
    If you can only get whey though, mix it with olive oil or flax (take it separately of course) and digestion will be slowed.

This works even on a cutting diet, considering youre still below caloric expenditure.

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    Always take it after busting your ass in the gym. They have that some kind of special protein to take before sleep but that shit cost like 79.99 and 89.99 for a 30 day supply.

adonis_myth is offline Junior Member
    Michael,
    Definetely not. Now if you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and can fix a shake and fall back to sleep then that would be fine. But I wouldn't set the alarm. I have shakes because I wake up during the night. Just make sure you have some protein that contains casein before you go to bed and that will work. Train hard...Jay

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

Dear Jay,

Do you think it is viable for extra gains to set my alarm 4 hours into
    my sleep so that I can wake up and take some casein protein to offset
    catabolism?

It sounds like a good idea, but it would be very inconvenient as I am a
    high school student and I need my sleep!

Regards,

Michael

Jimmy_Bravo is offline Associate Member
    yep, you want to take in some form of protien before bed. This is one of the most important times of the day to take in protien. Your body grows during sleep, and releases GH to help build your muscles, and repair any sicknesses, or injuries. There is a reason why doctors tell you to get alot of rest when your sick. Sleep will actually cure you!
    Anyway, Excess is right when he says it is better to eat some solid food, because it takes longer to break down. I don't always do what is best though, I just take a protien drink.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    exactly what others have said, feed the muslces before you grow!

drink or eat the protein and rest well bro

Thread Information