chopper9451 is offline Associate Member

protien iso or no?

so im gonna oreder some protien in bulk and i might switch it up. I have been taking GNC brand "Iso 28" which is a 100% isolate protien. I stated taking Optimum gold iso blend a month ago and i liked it as well. price is not a biggy but I want to be on a good protien while im on week three ethenate right now

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    If price isn't an issue then go for it. Will absorb better.

peachfuzz is offline Anabolic Member
    iso if only being used PWO. i wouldnt use it before bed or between meals.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    i think even gnc's protein is cheap stuff so i'd stay away from that.

why no whey between meals? if you eat every 2-3 hours, it takes about an hour to digest so it would hold you over well

your right. usually it has about a 2-3 hour digestion rate so it will be ok to use between meals.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    isolate is pretty over hyped imo ...faster absorption ...better quality than concentrate etc... i guarantee you that if you did whey conc for 3 moths ....then the next 3 months did whey isolate all other factors the same...you would see absolutely no difference at all. Do with that info what you will....

I have actually read studies where subjects were given either only whey isolate as there protein source and the other group recieved only milk (predominatly casein) as there protein source. all other factors consistent the group recieving milk put on more LBM then the isolate group and it was concluded it was a result of being catabolic less time throughout the day.

*although i dont know if they were eating every three hours or not.

Blog Entries
    ^^^ yeah its tough to say i mean biotest published all kinds of bs studies saying that very thing ......then they came out with their GROW caesin protein powder a month or so later...im sure not a coincidence.....who knows.... like u said eating frequency ...working out...etc.... alot of variables.....honestly it prob matters very little i hate to say it..if adequate grams of complete proteins ingested daily its prob all good re: protein source.....but i do personally do a whey conc shake mixture PWO - JMO guys....
    does make sense if not eating slow digeting protein before bed to do caesin shake imo as well at least 40 grams...
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 12-22-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: correction

Andro9 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    isolate is pretty over hyped imo ...faster absorption ...better quality than concentrate etc... i guarantee you that if you did whey conc for 3 moths ....then the next 3 months did whey isolate all other factors the same...you would see absolutely no difference at all. Do with that info what you will....

totally disagree.you never know what your getting with whey conc. it can range from 30-80% in purity(the actual amount of protein you absorb). so i dont buy it
    Last edited by Andro9; 12-23-2008 at 01:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    ^^^what makes the claims on your isolate product more truthful than the claims on a conc bottle?? Whey is a complete source of protein ......the diff is an increase in bioavailibilty with iso ...imo not significant enough to justify cost of even again ,IMO, effect gains.... Any diff between whey conc and isolate ..if u belive label claims ..would be reflected in nutritional info label specifically in fat and carbs as the diff in purity is isolate b/c it has less lactose and fat... If isolate works for you and u like it thats great but you may want to revisit reasoning if thats the only reason you chose isolate. To reiterate JMO....

Andro9 is offline Member
    well i read it in an article off the net ill try to find it. where did you read that the bioavailbility is not signifigant between the two? was it on a product that you bought too lol

Andro9 is offline Member
    i think these are just opinions anyways for both our aguments sake.. unless i can find that article or you can post one

Blog Entries
    well its around 10% ..you can find the info on a pro bioavail chart or on a chart laying out biological values of different protein sources....plenty on the net.
    My point was not that it said that on a label of a product ...my point was the label tells the tale via fat and carb content...and if both labels are accurate then if iso says 24 pro 0fat 0 carb / and conc says 20pro 1 fat 2 carb ...the amount of protein is the amount of protein. Since whey is a complete source it will be ultilized by our body ..iso has a higher bv true ..but IMO not significant enough to see appreciable differences in results , add to that increased cost- not worth it imo. You dont only get say 6.65 grams of protein utilized by your body using concentrate (30% as u stated) that is 20 grams pro/serving ... thats inaccurate info . Hope this clarifies my statement and again dont take my opinions personally....

Blog Entries
    ^^^ again in my first response i said if u like isolate and it works for you ..great...
    If the reason is strictly based on info you read that may not be true (not my opinion or yours - its a fact u can research yourself) you may be able to get the same result and save some $ ..just a thought ....Now i will say this: syntrax nectar does TASTE delicious but its too expensive and like i said i see no diff (even scietifically its so minimal) so why bother....

Quote Originally Posted by T_Own View Post
    i think even gnc's protein is cheap stuff so i'd stay away from that.

why no whey between meals? if you eat every 2-3 hours, it takes about an hour to digest so it would hold you over well
    You think ON brand is any better? They are both made in the same factory. GNC has very good quality protein.

Andro9 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmaiden708 View Post
    You think ON brand is any better? They are both made in the same factory. GNC has very good quality protein.
    how do you know this lol

I'm a salesman for the company. Don't think I'm trying to hype gnc products and say that they are the best of the best. They sell quality protein. Their is a slight difference between ON Gold standard and GNC pro performance. ON does tweek their formula a bit by having roughly 1/2 gram more of glutamine (marginal) per 20 grams and has higher concentration of whey isolate and added aminogens, some say has superior flavor but I've also had lots of good feedback on the 100% whey by GNC. How superior Gold Standard is compared to other brands IMO is more of a placebo than anything, hype fueled by bro talk.

T_Own is offline Formula1 Aficionado
    well i don't doubt it, but i'd imagine they are similar in price, and i don't swear by it or anything, i just think its a good deal compared to some others. i have no problem with the way either taste, and thats not really a huge concern to me, i mix it with some stuff and drink it quick.

bro talk is good for a lot

Thread Information