Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Vitamins Thread

IM708 is offline AR's Supplement Guru
    To answer both marka and luck luciano. In my honest opinion, multivitamin supplementation isn't all that necessary, a good diet will get you all the nutrition you require, as you can see it doesn't take all that much (ex: B-9 400-1000 mcg)to get the required dose in order to stay healthy . There are those exceptions for those vitamins that superdosing does add additional benefits (C, D, B12, calcium, etc).

the_mofoman is offline New Member
    So what do y'all think is one of the better overall multivitamins to take these days?

I've taken both Animal Pak and NOW Adam in the past. Always open to try new things though.

Marcos01 is offline New Member
    I have no idea about it but what I would like to suggest is to look for the best and the most trusted vitamins available online to help you get the best results in terms of improved health and stamina. So, if you are looking for the vitamins then look for the deals available online.

Uma J is offline New Member
    Vitamins are really essential for our body and they can be said as minerals .With this we have many other minerals like silica , phosphorous , zink , sulpher etc.
    Last edited by Uma J; 09-10-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Keith Woolley is offline New Member
    Thank you for posting such informative article in this forum. It would be very helpful for those who are looking out for some information about the vitamin supplements that they are using in daily life.

dec11 is offline 'everything louder than everything else'
    Blog Entries
    multi vits are actually a scientific grey area, there is no conclusive evidence that they are necessary if an adequate diet is being consumed, and if you are in the lifting lifestyle your diet should be complete

ddp2727 is offline Associate Member
    So I'm searching through looking at how much B-12 I would need to inject my wife with, I can't seem to find the answer? what is your recommendations? She is 25 and weighs 120 lbs.

DrHealth is offline Junior Member
    Usana has a great absorption ratio. It is in the top 2 in that regard. IMO the best way to get vitamins is through the IV & FOOD.

HellRiserPL is offline Junior Member
    Thank you sir that's lot of information, im amazed how much time some members spend educating us newbs, i really appreciate it. Thank you again.

Patrickthecool is offline Junior Member
    You guys are like scientist on here. cant I just take some extra multi vitamins from costco

1killer80 is offline New Member
    great thread and lots of good info about the vitamins, something that i am not clear on is what should we be taking for sure while cycling and at what time of the day....I am also curious about is it better to take vitamins that are mixed like a multivitamin or is it better to take all your vitamins as individual types? Only a short answer is required, types of vitamins and best time to take.

thanks for your help and the time you took to write all that out.

killer

Quote Originally Posted by the_mofoman View Post
    So what do y'all think is one of the better overall multivitamins to take these days?

I've taken both Animal Pak and NOW Adam in the past. Always open to try new things though.
    Food man
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Woolley View Post
    Thank you for posting such informative article in this forum. It would be very helpful for those who are looking out for some information about the vitamin supplements that they are using in daily life.
    Thanks, everyone should always be in the pursuit to stave ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by dec11 View Post
    multi vits are actually a scientific grey area, there is no conclusive evidence that they are necessary if an adequate diet is being consumed, and if you are in the lifting lifestyle your diet should be complete
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by ddp2727 View Post
    So I'm searching through looking at how much B-12 I would need to inject my wife with, I can't seem to find the answer? what is your recommendations? She is 25 and weighs 120 lbs.
    Why are you injecting your wife with B-12?

Quote Originally Posted by HellRiserPL View Post
    Thank you sir that's lot of information, im amazed how much time some members spend educating us newbs, i really appreciate it. Thank you again.
    Thank you, it took a very long time to collect all the information not including all the proof reading either.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickthecool View Post
    You guys are like scientist on here. cant I just take some extra multi vitamins from costco
    You can but that's the equivalence to throwing you're money in the garbage. Unfortunately, not all vitamins/multivitamins are created equally.

Quote Originally Posted by 1killer80 View Post
    great thread and lots of good info about the vitamins, something that i am not clear on is what should we be taking for sure while cycling and at what time of the day....I am also curious about is it better to take vitamins that are mixed like a multivitamin or is it better to take all your vitamins as individual types? Only a short answer is required, types of vitamins and best time to take.

thanks for your help and the time you took to write all that out.

killer
    If you're cycling then your diet should be top notch which means you really shouldn't require any vitamins to compensate, honestly.

al_capone is offline Junior Member
    Great post.

Abmaster is offline Junior Member
    What brand is best ??
    How about what brands r bad ??
    Brands u find commonly on grossery store shelves
    I here roomers there actually bad for ur liver is this true ?

Aaryan is offline Associate Member
    Great post. I have always taken vitamins C, D, B6 and B12, as those are my essentials but its good to know all the pros/cons of each vitamin profiled. I applaud you for all that hard work and conclude with a thank you

Quote Originally Posted by al_capone View Post
    Great post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abmaster View Post
    What brand is best ??
    How about what brands r bad ??
    Brands u find commonly on grossery store shelves
    I here roomers there actually bad for ur liver is this true ?
    Ugh.. anything in extreme excess can be bad for your liver. If your taking vitamins and they cause liver failure then it was already f*cked beforehand. Store brand multis are a horrible option. Low doses and poor quality, might as well eat some wheaties.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryan View Post
    Great post. I have always taken vitamins C, D, B6 and B12, as those are my essentials but its good to know all the pros/cons of each vitamin profiled. I applaud you for all that hard work and conclude with a thank you
    If i was to take vitamins again Id take b complex, c + flavonoid, d + calcium. Thanks for the compliments fellas.

bobsyouruncle is offline New Member
    i feel like ive wasted money on all the multivitamins ive just bought. What is your opinion on multivits such as orange triad that have added joint support in them

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member

dj erk15 is offline Junior Member
    Great read.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I spent loads on vitamins over the years, being ignorant and not really looking into it. Over the years I've cut back to what I think is necessary, A multi, 3-4000iu vitamin D, and fish oil.

-KJ- is offline Productive Member
    great read.. for reference and the purpose of each vitamin this is one of the best.

definity is offline New Member
    Any one heard of lypospheric C? it uses a lypospheric system to deliver the vitamins into your cells it so effective it does a better job than straight injections. I ordered the stuff to make it and i will report back in a couple of weeks when it all arrives.

thai007goy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IM708 View Post
    Hello to anybody who reads this. This post right here will consist of water soluble & fat-soluble vitamins, minerals, and trace elements. If you are looking for dosages and info for these substances then this post could be very useful to you. Most of the dosages follow along the guidelines set by the National Academy of sciences and are based on full grown males & females within the ages of 19-70 y.

*Note:* Do not think that by taking even a higher dosage than the super doses below that you will make yourself a healthier person or gain any benefits from it for that matter. Unless you have a deficiency of vitamins due to drug use, recommended by a doctor, and such do not go above the listed guidelines below. One of the ways body stays in a state of homeostasis through the use of vitamins and minerals, taking high dosages of one vitamin can throw that off leading to adverse health effects. Do not follow these guidelines if you are pregnant or lactating or do not fall within the listed age bracket above.

Please feel free to distribute this around the web, just give me credit for my work.

Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
    Dosage: Minimum 90 - 2000 mg, No established toxicity
    Info: It's an Antioxidant, needed for healthy gums, enhances immune function, reduce cholesterol level, lower blood pressure, prevent arteriosclerosis, promotes healthy cell development, strengthens the walls of capillaries, prevents blood clotting, promotes proper calcium absorption. Vitamin C comes in different forms, the one you want is Ester-C. Esterfied Vitamin C enters cells 4x faster, is more effectively moved into the cells, and stays in the cells longer than than its standard acidic form. There are people who superdose the Vitamin C they take under the assumption that it will stave off possible sickness. Dosages for a person can go over 5 grams per day. When you do that though the amount absorbed decreases exponentially. Ex: If you take in the amount your body truly requires per day which is around 100mg there is a 80-100% absorption rate, 500mg per day there is a 75% absorption rate, 1000mg per day there is a 50% absorption rate, 6000mg per day there is a 20% absorption rate.
    Assimilates best with: Bioflavonoid, calcium, and magnesium
    Antagonist(s): Alcohol, Antacids, Birth Control, Steroids deplete this vitamin from the body. Air, Heat, Water, Long periods of storage, overcooking, and processing destroy Vitamin C.

Vitamin P (Bioflavonoid)
    Dosage: 200 - 500 mg
    Info: Enhances absorption of Vitamin C, used in the treatment of sports injuries, used a pain reliever, lessen symptoms of prolonged bleeding, promote blood circulation, work as an antibiotic, used in production of bile, lowers blood cholesterol, used in the treatment & prevention of cataracts. Bioflavonoid is found naturally inside foods we eat. This is in part why Vitamin C tends to absorb better when found naturally than found in pill form. It is necessary that this be taken with Vitamin C or it won't absorb.
    Assimilates best with:Highly recommend Vitamin C, also calcium
    Antagonist(s): None found

The B-Complex these would be categorized as the vitamins that have B-1 up to B-12 all in one capsule. Also you would typically find various amounts of Choline, Inositol, PABA, and Biotin inside the complex depending on the brand you buy.

Vitamin B-1 (Thiamin)
    Dosage: Minimum 1.2 - 100 mg
    Info: Enhance blood circulation, blood formation, and metabolism of carbohydrates, required for nervous system function, used to manufacture HCL.
    Assimilates best with: B Complex, Manganese, and Vitamins C & E
    Antagonist(s): Destroyed in cooking, by alkaline substances, poor absorption if coupled with high amounts of refined foods. Alcohol, phenytonin, sulfa drugs, antibiotics, caffeine, oral contraceptives. High carbohydrate diet increases need for vitamin.

Vitamin B-2 (Riboflavin)
    Dosage: Minimum 1.3 - 100 mg
    Info: Required for the body to use oxygen, used in the metabolism of carbohydrates, fatty acids, & amino acids. Needed to activate and absorb Vitamin B-6, absorption of iron, eases watery eye fatigue, treatment of cataracts, uses it when protein intake is high, helps to create niacin.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex and Vitamin C. Try to have the same dosage of B-2 as B-6.
    Antagonist(s): Sensitive to light, exercise, antibiotics, alcohol.

Vitamin B-3 (Niacin (AKA: Nicotinic Acid) & Niacinamide)
    Dosage: Minimum 16 - 50 mg Niacin, 50 - 100 mg Niacinamide
    Info: Help to release the energy of Carbohydrates, Protein, and Fats. Proper Blood Circulation, healthy skin, nervous system function, improves cholesterol levels, used as a memory enhancer, used in production of HCL. Used as a natural detox. There are two different forms Niacin and flush free B-2 which is referred to as Niacinamide. The more effective form is Niacin but comes with side effects that may make you feel flushed.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex and Vitamin C
    Antagonist(s): Is destroyed when foods containing this vitamin are cooked in water.

Vitamin B-5 (Pantothenic Acid)
    Dosage: Minimum 5 - 100 mg
    Info: Plays a role in the secretion of hormones (ex: Cortisone), which in turn regulates the metabolism. Helps fight allergies, beneficial in the maintenance of nerves, muscles, and skin. Involved in the metabolism of Carbohydrates, fat, protein, and creation of lipids, neurotransmitters, steroid hormones, and hemoglobin. Known as the Anti-Stress vitamin.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex, Vitamins A, C, & E
    Antagonist(s): Roasting or Milling of food containing this vitamin will destroy it. Acids or alkaline substances will also destroy it and a majority will by canning.

Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine)
    Dosage: Minimum 1.3 - 100 mg
    Info: Assists the immune system, involved in the growth of new cells, used in the metabolism of fatty acids, carbohydrates, and proteins. Helps control mood and behavior, promotes red blood cell production, helps to prevent eczema, dandruff, and psoriasis. Balances sodium and potassium levels, has links to cancer immunity, may help diminish PMS symptoms in women, help fight the formation of the toxin homocysteine.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Zinc, Linoleic Acid, and Fatty Acids. Try to have the same dosage of B-6 as B-2.
    Antagonist(s): Light, Cooking, Diuretics, Cortisone

Vitamin B-9 (Folic Acid, Folate, Folacin, Pteroylglutamic Acid (PGA))
    Dosage: 400 - 1000 mcg
    Info: Required for DNA synthesis and cell growth, "brain food", important for red blood cell formation, division and replication. It also assists in digestion, and the nervous system. Is required for protein metabolism therefore it is involved in the formation of amino acids. Helps to improve mental and emotional help, which would include treating depression and anxiety.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex & Vitamin C
    Antagonist(s): Light, Alcohol, Heat, & Storage for long periods of time

Vitamin B-12 (Methylcobalamin & Cyanocobalamin)
    Dosage: Minimum 2.4 - 200 mcg or higher
    Info: Needed in the manufacture and maintenance of red blood cells, stimulates appetite, promotes growth, and energy release. Used to prevent mental deterioration, speed up mental processes, said to provide protection against caner and allergies, is also used in the metabolism of fats, protein, and carbohydrates. If you notice when you buy straight vitamin B-12 you get a dosage much higher than the listed 200 mcg, that is because the vitamin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. To enhance absorption, buy a vitamin with vitamin B-12 in the form of methylcobalamin, it is considered to be the active form of the vitamin.
    Assimilates best with: Iron, Calcium, Sodium, Potassium, & Vitamin C
    Antagonist(s): Excessive Alcohol, Laxatives, & Antacids

PABA (Para-Amino benzoic Acid)
    Dosage: 10 - 50 mg
    Info: Used to improve protein use throughout the body, aids in the manufacture of Folic Acid, aids with vertigo, linked to hair re-growth and reversing graying of hair, typically used in sunscreen products
    Assimilates best with: Vitamin C and B-Complex
    Antagonist(s): Antibiotic use & Sulfa Drugs

Biotin (Vitamin H)
    Dosage: Minimum 30 - 800 mcg
    Info: Used in cell growth, production of fatty acids, metabolism of fats and proteins, plays a role in the Krebs cycle, needed for healthy skin, hair, nerve tissue, and bone marrow. Helps maintain steady blood sugar level, assists with muscle pain, helps with transfer of carbon dioxide.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex, Vitamin C, and Sulfur.
    Antagonist(s): Not easily destroyed, excessive egg consumption (avidin), antibiotics, sulfa drugs, & saccharin.

Inositol
    Dosage: 50 - 200 mg
    Info: Reduce cholesterol levels, promote healthy hair and growth, protects the health and the function of cell membranes in places like the brain, bone marrow, eyes, and intestines. Used as a filler for a specific recreational drug.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamins E & C, B Complex, Linoleic acid (0mega-6), and equal levels of Choline
    Antagonist(s): Caffeine

Choline
    Dosage: 550 - 3500 mg
    Info: Aids in weight control, help control cholesterol levels, prevents gallstones, keeps cell membranes healthy, very useful in the maintenance of the nervous system, helps with memory and learning ability, can help fight infections, used in the kidneys for water balance, aids nerve impulse transition, liver function, gallbladder regulation, lecithin (group of various lipids) production.
    Assimilates best with: Same dosage as Inositol, B-Complex, Vitamin A, and Linoleic Acid
    Antagonist(s): Processing, Storage, and Cooking

1. Vitamin C is very popular with bodybuilders since it is depleted dramatically by their steroid usage, it common to see some take up to 5000mg (5g) in a day for supplementation.
    2. When taking B-Complex (or Vitamin B-2) you will find that no matter what you do, your urine will be a neon yellow color.
    3. During moments of dieting and/or coupled with periods of intense exercise, you may find that these Vitamins will be depleted very quickly due to their water solubility. That can be why you feel sluggish after the first couple weeks of dieting.
    4. This list only consists of water-soluble vitamins.

Vitamin A
    Dosage: 5000 - 10000 IU Vitamin A, 5000 - 25000 IU Carotenoids w/ Beta-Carotene
    Info: It's an antioxidant, assists in immune function, protects against carcinogens, reduces risk of cancer, aids in the digestive and urinary tract, enhances the sense of taste, aids in a maintenance of skin, general eye wellness, aids with wrinkles on the skin. Carotenoids are a class of compounds related to vitamin A. Some act as antioxidants & precursors to Vitamin A. 563 different carotenoids identified so far.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamins C, D, E, & B Complex, Choline, EFA's, Calcium, Phosphorus, & Zinc.
    Antagonist(s): Sunlight, High Temps, Copper and Iron cooking utensils, do not soak foods containing Vitamin A in water for long periods of time.

Vitamin D (D-2 & D-3)
    Dosage: Minimum 200 - 2000 IU
    Info: Improves absorption of calcium, assists in bone growth, promotes strong teeth. Three different forms of the Vitamin D, D-2 (ergocaliciferol), D-3 (colecaliciferol), D-5. D-2 is found inside of foods we eat & D-3 is synthesized in the skin when we come in contact with sunlight. Between the two D-3 is considered the natural form & the most active. Take with calcium to avoid toxicity.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamin A, Choline, EFAs, Calcium, Creatine, & Phosphorus
    Antagonist(s): None

Vitamin E
    Dosage: Minimum 15 - 1000 IU
    Info: Is an antioxidant, prevents degenerative diseases (ex: heart disease, stroke, arthritis, diabetes, cancer), prevents blood clots, prevents blood clots, increase of stamina and endurance is associated with use. Helps keep skin looking younger, heals cuts, prevents scar tissue formation, said to help with eczema, shingles, skin ulcers, and cold sores. There are two forms of the vitamins, d-alpha-tocopherol & l-alpha-tocopherol. D-alpha is considered to be the natural form while L-alpha is the synthetic form. The L form gets excreted so your 400 IU dl-alpha-tocopherol Vitamin E pills only equate to 200 IU of actual usable Vitamin E.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamin C & A, EFAs Selenium, B-Complex, Calcium, & Manganese
    Antagonist(s): Milling, Cooking, Freezing, Long periods of storage, Inorganic Iron supplements.

Vitamin K
    Dosage: Minimum 120 - 500 mcg
    Info: Involved in various processes that deal with blood clotting, used in bone formation and repair, assisting in converting glucose to glycogen, may be wise to take if dealing with osteoporosis/ bone loss. Use a natural form of K.
    Assimilates best with: Fats for better absorption. Three forms of Vitamin K, K-1 (phylloquinone or phytonactone), K-2 (menaquinones), & K-3 (menadione). K-1 is derived from plants, K-2 is created by intestinal bacteria, & K-3 is synthetic. If you want to supplement Vitamin K get it from plant supplements such as alfalfa or green leafy veggies.
    Antagonist(s): Do not take with Vitamin C & E or Antibiotics

This list only consists of fat-soluble vitamins.

Calcium (carbonate, citrate, gluconate, lactate, dolomite, oyster shell, bone meal)
    Dosage: Minimum 1200 - 2500 mg, take in 500mg dosages to maximize absorption
    Info: Required for the formation and maintenance of bones, teeth, and gums. Needed for blood clotting, used to keep many body functions at homeostasis such as heartbeat & nerve impulses. Prevents muscle cramps, aids with muscle growth, required for muscle contraction, lowers cholesterol, provides energy, breaks down fats, healthy skin. It is possible that low blood calcium can cause high blood pressure.
    There are several different forms of calcium, the most common is carbonate. Carbonate isn't the most bioavailable form of calcium because it requires extra amounts of stomach acid for it to be absorb, so it would be wise to take with or after a meal. Citrate is a form that has a higher rate of absorption since it does not require stomach acid for it to absorb. But the catch is that it is more expensive to produce and requires that you take more off it to get the same amount of elemental calcium found in the carbonate form. Also if you have issues with acid reflux or heart burn etc then it may be wise not to supplement with citrate since it would only make symptoms worse. Gluconate and lactate contain a very low amount of elemental calcium so you would have to more of it to get the same effects of carbonate form. Dolomite, oyster shell, and bone meal are natural forms of calcium that may contain trace amount of heavy metals such as lead so it would be wise to avoid these forms.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamin D & A, Magnesium, and Amino Acids *
    Antagonist(s): Phosphorous, Alcohol, Sodium, White Flour, & Coffee deplete this mineral. Too much fats, proteins, sugars, impede absorption.

Chloride/Chlorine
    Dosage: 500 - 3600 mg
    Info: Forms parts of Hydrochloric Acid (Stomach Acid), Controls the flow of fluid into blood vessels, and regulates acidity of the body.
    Assimilates best with: You find this inside of everything you consume except pure water.
    Antagonist(s): Anytime you excrete fluids from the body including puking & diarrhea.

Magnesium (oxide, taurate, citrate)
    Dosage: Minimum 420 - 1000 mg
    Info: Aids in the formation of bones & teeth, assists in absorption of calcium & potassium, helps prevents depression, dizziness, muscle twitching, calcification of soft tissue(s), cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, certain cancers, & possibly reduce cholesterol. Known as a natural relaxant.
    There is a few different forms of magnesium, oxide is the most common form and cheapest but doesn't absorb very well. A step up would be citrate but like calcium it is more expensive to produce and can worsen acid reflux and heartburn if you are already prone to getting it. The highest absorbed and most expensive to produce would be the taurate form.
    Assimilates best with: Calcium, Phosphorus, B-Complex, Potassium, and Vitamin C & D.
    Antagonist(s): Alcohol, Diuretics, high levels of Zinc, Vitamin D & Calcium, excretion of any fluids, foods high in oxalic acid, any fat soluble Vitamins, Fluoride.

Phosphorus
    Dosage: Minimum 700 - 3000 mg
    Info: Used heavily in bone and teeth formation, many metabolic processes, kidney function, cell growth, and contraction of the heart muscle. Very rare to be deficient of this element.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex, Vitamin D, Sodium, Iron, and Manganese
    Antagonist(s): None

Potassium
    Dosage: 99 - 500 mg
    Info: Needed in growth, building muscle, transmission of nerve impulses. Works hand in hand with sodium in body functions.
    Assimilates best with: Sodium & Vitamin B-6
    Antagonist(s): Canning of Foods, tobacco, caffeine, licorice, stress, excretion of fluids.

Sodium
    Dosage: Don't worry about it, you are already getting too much as is.
    Info: Electrolyte & needed to produce hydrochloric acid.
    Assimilates best with: Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin D, and Sulfur
    Antagonist(s): Excretion of fluids

Sulfur
    Dosage: 850 to over 3500 mg, found in many foods we eat
    Info: Used to detoxify the body, assists immune system, fight the effects of aging including illnesses associated with aging, found in proteins, used in the synthesis of collagen, is found in hair, nails, and skin.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex
    Antagonist(s): Heat and Moisture

1 Aim for twice as much potassium than sodium.
    2. This list only consists of minerals.
    3. The difference between mineral and trace elements is that minerals are required in very large amounts for survival and optimal health vs very small amounts such as copper.

Boron
    Dosage: 3 - 20 mg
    Info: Enhances the bodies ability to use and store calcium, magnesium, Vitamin D in the body. Assists in brain function and recognition. Possible reduction in arthritis symptoms. Helps build muscle through enhancement of natural steroid compounds.
    Assimilates best with: Manganese, Calcium, B-Complex
    Antagonist(s): None Found

Chromium
    Dosage: Minimum 35 - 400 mcg
    Info: Chromium is needed for energy, controls insulin level (or stable blood sugar level), required for fat metabolism, typically combined with GTF (glucose tolerance factor), assists with regulating cholesterol level.
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex, Cysteine, Glycine, and Glutamic acid.
    Antagonist(s): High phosphorus contained foods impede absorption, processed foods, aging.

Cobalt
    Dosage: ??, Good diet should suffice
    Info: Required for the manufacture of RBCs, prevents anemia
    Assimilates best with: B-Complex

Copper
    Dosage: Minimum 0.9 - 10 mg, can cause nausea at higher dosages
    Info: Required for formation of hemoglobin, bone formation, RBCs, noradrenaline, pigmentation of your hair. Aids in the formation of collagen & elastin.
    Assimilates best with: Cobalt, Iron, Zinc and Folic Acid
    Antagonist(s): Large amounts of Vitamin C, Zinc, & Fructose

Iodine
    Dosage: Minimum 150 - 1100 mcg, can find inside of kelp whether in pill form or found in nature
    Info: Used in the production of thyroid hormones, aids with the prevention of certain cancers, help metabolize excess body fat, important for mental and physical development.
    Assimilates best with: Iron, Manganese, and Phosphorus

Iron (gluconate, fumarate, citrate, protein chelate, avoid sulfate)
    Dosage: Minimum 8 - 45 mg
    Info: Used in the production of myoglobin and hemoglobin, needed for RBC oxygenation, essential for production of many enzymes, healthy immune system, and energy production. There are various forms of Iron such as fumarate, gluconate, and sulfate. If you decide to supplement with iron (which isn't recommended unless you are anemic) then choose a natural form which would be protein chelate or gluconate, forms that are considered inorganic such as sulfate oxidize vitamin E depleting it from the body. If you do require some sort of iron supplement due to being anemic then it would be best to take with Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an acidic compound (Ascorbic Acid) which makes for an acidic environment which helps greatly with iron absorption. Older persons may have issues with iron since HCL production decreases with age. Do not take Iron if you have any sort of bacteria infection, you will make the infection worse by promoting growth of the bacteria. Out of any of the minerals Iron is the hardest for the body to excrete which is why it isn't recommended to take via supplemental minerals, toxicity or death can occur from high dosages.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamin C & A, Copper, Manganese, B-Complex, Molybdenum
    Antagonist(s): Tea & Coffee at mealtimes, should not be taken with Calcium, Zinc, or Vitamin E.

Manganese
    Dosage: Minimum 2.3 - 11 mg
    Info: Allows the body to utilize Vitamin C & E, B1, Biotin, & Choline. Helps manufacture fats, sex hormones, Breast Milk, synovial fluid, bone growth, cartilage, nerves, immune system. Possibly neutralizes free radicals, used for normal nervous system function, prevents diabetes, important for brain function.
    Assimilates best with: Vitamin E, B-Complex, Calcium, Iron, & Phosphorus
    Antagonist(s): Large amounts of Calcium, Zinc, Cobalt, Soy Protein all impede absorption. Milling and fertilizers destroy the element.

Molybdenum
    Dosage: Minimum 45 - 2000 mcg
    Info: Assists in the breakdown of sulfite toxins in the body, prevents cavities, mouth & gum disorders, anemia. Has possible antioxidant properties, helps the body fight nitrosamines, metabolises fats & carbohydrates.
    Assimilates best with: None Found
    Antagonist(s): Excess copper, tungsten, & sulfates deplete the element. Heat and moisture change the chemical make up in its supplemented form.

Selenium
    Dosage: Minimum 55 - 400 mcg
    Info: Antioxidant, rids the body of toxic elements (ex: lead), assists in fighting infection, more energy, fights cold sores & shingles, helps prevent cancer, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, required for pancreatic function and tissue elasticity, shown to keep blood from being as sticky. When combined with vitamin e and zinc may help relieve an enlarged prostate.
    Assimilates best with: Should be taken with Vitamin E & A, & Beta-Carotene since they work synergistically together as a powerful antioxidant(s).

Silicon
    Dosage: 30 mg
    Info: Aids with the health of bones, cartilage, tendons, and artery walls, hair, nails, skin. Assists immune system function, aids with the treatment of gum disease, allergies, heartburn. Plays a major role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease.
    Assimilates best with: Iron, Phosphorus, Boron, Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, and Potassium.

Zinc
    Dosage: Minimum 11 - 100 mg
    Info: Needed for a healthy immune system, helps fight skin ailments. Required for the health of skin, nails, and hair. Aids in the growth and maintenance of muscle. Required for protein synthesis, aids with detoxifying the liver, zinc lozenges can helps reduce the duration of colds. Enhances the sense of taste and smell.
    Assimilates best with: Copper, Boron, Calcium, Phosphorous, Selenium, Vitamin A & E, and B-Complex.
    Antagonist(s): Excessive sweating, grains have an unabsorbable form of the element. Excretion of any fluids will deplete zinc levels in the body.

1. You do not want to supplement more than 50 mg a day of Iron. Iron does not get easily excreted from the body and having too much can occur easily if you are not careful which will lead to adverse health effects at high enough amounts. If you are shopping around for a multivitamin and are concerned about iron toxicity then buy a vitamin that is without iron.
    2. Relatively equal amounts of Iron to Zinc should be consumed, but not at the same time since they interfere with each others activity and absorption.
    3. This list consists only of trace elements.

To clear up any possible misconceptions I will explain what each of these groups mean.

Name of Substance (alternate name) - Self explanatory

Dosage - The amount that you would take in a day for supplementation. Do not take dosages higher than the listed upper limit.
    IU - International Units, Mcg/µg - Micrograms, Mg - Milligrams, G - Grams

Info - This would be the typical thing that this vitamin would do for you. This might give reasons for wanting to start supplementation.

Assimilates Best With - These are the substances that stack best with that specific vitamin or mineral/element. It's best to take these with the vitamin or mineral/element because it allows for better absorption, can work in conjunction with them, and allows for greater effectiveness when it’s in the body.

Antagonist(s) - These would be substances that would do more harm than good. Generally they would destroy the element, impede absorption, and/or deplete the substance from the body.

Here's a nice link to some of the highest quality multivitamins:
    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=369900
    Excellent post!

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    Thanks very informative thread

Phoenix18 is offline Junior Member
    this forum has a never ending supply of info. Great thread here!!

nussnussbaby is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for posting. I still can't get over how bad the GNC multi is.

khaled_mgsx is offline New Member
    good info thanks

Trevis is offline Associate Member
    Vitamins are essential, at least for those who train hard.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Well, I just want to bow down to you people for doing such in-depth thread about multis... I've yet havent read everything but booked for later-read.

I was using Animal-Pak and Animal-Flex for my multi pack, (1 pack every 24h of each), I do lift 5-7days a week, and most times sets are put the way so I go to muscular failure, my diet has never been tight so I guess I was using them two types of multi's as an insurance policy. Anybody else been using these two types of multi while on cycle and on strict diet too? Just curious... Ive bought good few boxes when they were on sale..

Vecka is offline New Member
    Good tread

blake702 is offline Junior Member
    Man, I regret it took me so long to find this forum. you guys have awesome info! Thanks!

Should you take more zinc when cycling on testosterone ?

I'll definitely steer clear of animal pack from now on =/ What are your thoughts on lipid encapsulated vitamin c? Does that really help with bioavailability?

anoxicblaze is offline Associate Member
    Hi, I have injected B12 without my doctor's approval. Just once, yesterday. Now the doctor wants to test me for b12 deficiency (great timing). How long will it take for the b12 I injected to leave my system i.e. For my levels to go back to what they were? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anoxicblaze View Post
    Hi, I have injected B12 without my doctor's approval. Just once, yesterday. Now the doctor wants to test me for b12 deficiency (great timing). How long will it take for the b12 I injected to leave my system i.e. For my levels to go back to what they were? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's hard to assess but if you had real B12 deficiency then a single pin of B12 wouldn't fix that,

as with IM or subq cobalamin anything not absorbed by liver or bound by plasma protein will be readily eliminated with urine;

maybe wait 1-2 weeks to let circulating B12 to reach target tissues.

In order to check B12 status you also need to test homocysteine . Check my own thread in the TRT section for reference.

prenes is offline Junior Member
    good read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information