xenithon is offline Member

Sleeping aids and metabolism??

Hiya guys,

I have a few problems with sleeping - not disorderly type things but it does affect me eg. if I wake up to go to the toilet after 5 hours sleep - no getting back to sleep; also getting to sleep could be difficult for me. I wanted to try sleeping aids, in particular melatonin. I know people who used it with great results, and we all know how important sleep is when building up

My question is: the reason why we cut out carbs and calories in general at night is since the body's metabolism slows down and thus any excess calories ---> fat! I wanted to know if any sleep aids like melatonin further slow down the metabolism. If so, does it do so to the extent that requires a further calorie reduction before sleep in order to prevent fat storage??

Thanks!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Bro, i dont know all the mumbo jumbo about metabolites and sleeping aids. But i do know, that you are not building muscle and releasing GH if you're not sleeping. Try Melatonin @3mg 2 hours before bed. If that doesn't work, try 4 or 5....but 3mg of melatonin shall do the trick...it does for me!!!

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Kava Kava relaxes me so that I can get to sleep easier.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Cutting calories at night? As long as you don't slug out you can eat up to 3 hours before bed. One thing I have done is just cut out most liquids after 7:00. That way you won't wake up. Melatonin, kava kava, valarian root can all be helpful and will not change your metabolism at rest. Your body will convert ANY calories that cannot be assimilated to fat at anytime of the day, do the key once again is to plan your food intake to your needs for the next 3-4 hours. If you do wake up to use the toilet then do not turn on any lights. Sleep studies show that the light triggers a change in hormone levels making it more difficult to fall back asleep.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Originally posted by dumbells101
    Sleep studies show that the light triggers a change in hormone levels making it more difficult to fall back asleep.
    They had to do a study to figure that out? I think we all know that from experience. That was probably a government study. Taxpayer dollars going to good use! Did you know the US government funded a study to figure out the viscosity of ketchup?

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Bro I spent 4 years active duty AF 84-88. I can tell you some stories about gov waste.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Alchohol some use to induce sleep ...However it does not premote a restful sleep ..... just a note

Thread Information