Thread: Multi Vitamin

RyDawg88 is offline Junior Member

Multi Vitamin

What does the multi vitamin do when on hydroxicut? Everyone says if u take hydroxicut, get the multivitamin too? Thanx

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    you lose essential nutrients when dieting, the multi-vitamin simply replaces them.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I believe you need to take a multi-v even if you're not dieting. I take 2 a day.

Maytag is offline Junior Member
    most ppl's diet do not meet the micro nutrient needs of their body...yes even in bodybuilders who eats 7meals a day who is on a bulk

multi v plus minerals simply make sure you get the array of micro nutrients

using hydroxycut means you've dropped your kcal intake to cut right?

so

less food=even less micro nutirent

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Everyone should take a multi

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It's synergistic. You need B's for metabolism, you tend to be on less calories and getting less nutrients in your diet, calcium is lost from increased sweating which is also needed for metabolism and muscle growth, the list goes on and on...

But if you active and putting stress on your body to grow or change, a good timed-release MultiVit should be the first sup you ever buy and you don't cycle off of...

fast is offline Associate Member
    Multivitamins rock

repeatoffender is offline Junior Member
    Speaking of Multivitamins, which do you use?
    I use the GNC Ultra Mega without iron, but I wanna try to find somethin else cuz GNC now just started ripping people off even more, since they don't have the "Buy 1 get the other 1/2 off" any more. GNC is a rip all around.

Originally posted by repeatoffender
    Speaking of Multivitamins, which do you use?
    I use the GNC Ultra Mega without iron, but I wanna try to find somethin else cuz GNC now just started ripping people off even more, since they don't have the "Buy 1 get the other 1/2 off" any more. GNC is a rip all around.
    Try a franchise... or stop useing the current franchise I don't think all GNC's stopped that buy one get one half off - I picked up my last stock about 2 months ago. I take Ultra Mega Gold as well (w/iron).

I use nature made essential balance.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I get mine from
    www.puritan.com
    Puritans Pride . . . they took over another company a few years ago I had been buying my multivits from since the early 70's. Prices are pretty good on vits, not so good on stuff like protein powder.
    No idea on the quality . . . one pill looks the same to me as any other.

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    Why w/iron?
    We already have enough? because of all the meat we eat?

Originally posted by Aguro
    Why w/iron?
    We already have enough? because of all the meat we eat?
    You're right. Mine only has 10mg of iron per two tablets (a day serving). So that's a dose suffecient for me, at my weight and average diet to get the benefits from iron w/out any chance of toxicity. Benefits like improved immune system (I really hardly ever get sick), healthy blood formation, energy production...

Woman would need a higher dose though than men. Due to their lower calorie intake and menstraul cycles...

That's why I use one with only 100-200% of everything. I eat plenty of meat, fruits, veggies, ect., and probably get enough from food. The vitamin just fills any gaps.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I use CVS generic brand, it is the same exact makeup as centrum, has 100% of everything, except magnesium I think (but I doubt you will find many that do, I think they say the pills will be too big) If you want more than the daily dose of things take 2 pills they are dirt cheap. I think I got 260 for about 9 dollars. Gotta love the Generic's!!

If you want Centrum go eat a bowl of cereal - same nutrional value and same absorbtion rate.

And no, you don't just take more of low dosed multivitamins brah - it ain't that simple. You need to be aware of some minerals and fat soluables that can be toxic at high doses. And most mega doses are TIMED-RELEASE. If you understand that there is a Performance Daily Intake (PDI) above and beyond the FDA's recommended Daily Values (which are established for "the common" person - which is not a hard training athlete, and especially not one an indivual taking diuretic supplements and/or anabolic steroids ) then you should find a MultiVitamin that is suited for a hard trainer to keep healthy and prime shape. IMO.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I know that the RDA percents are crap. But I am more worried about just supplementing my diets natural vitamins, than eating crap and getting all my vitamins in a can.... I eat a lot of healthy foods so I am not very worried about getting all of my vitamins I am pretty sure I am close to what I need just in my diet. And yes I have put a little research into this and I keep a nutrition journal everyday so I know what foods I eat and can calc out what I get. ( I am a nutrition freak) I take a cheap multi to help assure that I am not deficient in getting anything. I don't beleive we should use multi's as a cure for not eating the right types of food in a good variety and balance. As for vitamins I also take others that come in the multi that I believe you need more of and do have different times of the day when you should get them, ZMA for example and Vit C & E. No multi will ever get around the problem that some vitamins should be taken with food and some shouldn't it is too hard to come up with something that will fix that problem, unless you get into multi pill multi's. Then I say if you are going to go that far just watch your diet and eat the right foods it will be much more beneficial to you.

Pain.

Hey Warrior, I take the generic brand of Centrum, now I take 1 in the morning with breakfast and 1 with my pre-workout shake. Does this seem ok? Or do you recommend another brand?

My vitamin intake goes as follows
    2 multi-v per day
    1 B-complex per day
    1 B-12 per day
    2-vit-C per day

BIG TEXAN - it really depends on your diet and training level. From your profile you look like a pretty advanced athlete. So yes - give the Centrum to an elder friend

The GNC Ultra Mega Gold is a good MultiVitamin because of the great ratio it has in it. It meats nearly all PDI recommendations. Plus it has digestive enymes which promote good health, proper protein digestion and good for people with allergies. I like 2g of Vitamin C and a couple Calcimate (Calcium w/ vit D) on top of it. The Vitamin C and Calcimates are taken post workout.

The only time you may need more B-Vits than what that Ultra Mega Gold has is if you are dieting down and cutting carbs. Since you are limiting your dietary supply of B-complex - than you may need to increase further.

The vitamins, minerals and metabolites that you need on daily basis change with training and your diet. But a good timed-release multi should be a staple.

If you want a really good read on PDI's, get Hatfield and Gastelu's Dynamic Nutrition for Maximum Performance - it is full of great info and easy to follow.
    Last edited by Warrior; 01-02-2003 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks Warrior! I'll give 'em a try.

Thread Information