FedSki is offline Creator of Cycle Planner

Best times for taking carb. and protein shakes

I'm looking to bulk up. I'm 6'2" 90k (198lbs) and a hard gainer.

I take two protein shakes a day (mid morning and mid afternoon or after training on an evening) which consist of about 48g protein, 18g carb, 3g fat when mixed with milk.

I usually have two eggs and two slices of toast for breakfast with orange juice and pure creatine.

I have just bought 2 kilos of maltodextrin (orange flavour). A 30g serving mixed with water yealds about 28g of carbs.

I have a quality protein for lunch and dinner (chicken, steak, tuna, etc.), the same for supper followed by a high carb pudding about and hour before bed.

Question 1

Should I mix the carb shake with the protein shake or should I take them separately for maximum effect?

Question 2

I know that creatine is absorbed better when mixed with dextrose. Would it be advisable to have a carb drink with my creatine at breakfast?

Ta.
    Last edited by FedSki; 01-20-2003 at 09:46 AM.

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    Here's my opinion.
    question 1. You can mix the protein and carb drinks together and get the same effect as seperating them.

question 2. Take creatine/carb drink at breakfast on nonworkout days and immediately after workout on lifting days.
    Like I said, this is just my 2 cents.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by willpharmd
    Here's my opinion.
    question 1. You can mix the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> and carb drinks together and get the same effect as seperating them.

question 2. Take <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=CREATINE" target="_blank">creatine</a> /carb drink at breakfast on nonworkout days and immediately after workout on lifting days.
    Like I said, this is just my 2 cents.
    Sounds good to me.

Fragmaster is offline New Member
    I've heard that your a raging homosexual - does that have any implications on the way you have to train

J

Note to moderator - Fedski is a very close personnal friend of mine and no offence is meant by this post.
    Last edited by Fragmaster; 01-24-2003 at 05:57 AM.

That's funny, real funny.

Just wait - our lass will kick your skinny ass.

And we're not that close buddy - although I know you'd like us to be.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    If you are hard gainer, you not eating near enought food. Start with this;

2g of protien per lbs of body weight 1lbs-2.2 Kgs
    4g of carbs per lbs
    don't worry about fat too much

You can look up food values off home page of AR. All meals should come from real food not shakes, only time for shake would be post workout, ideally it should be about 50g protien and 100g carbs, add in your creatine then as well. Total meals should be at least 7 per day ideally 8 if you can fit them in.

Hey silverfox....I've been taking your advice about my diet. Jus twanted to say thanks and hope I can get over this bloated feeling. Nothing like trying to force feed yourself a plate of food. God I love this life!!!

i always knew i wasn't eating enough but find it really hard to eat as much as is required.

i too get bloated a lot and often find it hard to fit in extra meals at work.

i know that bloatedness often subsides. i've read so much on how to relieve bloatedness - are there any concise guides?

Decoder is offline Banned
    I take two protein shakes a day (mid morning and mid afternoon or after training on an evening) which consist of about 48g protein, 18g carb, 3g fat when mixed with milk. <-- first off your wasting protien. The average person can only consume between 35-42g of protien in one consumtion.
    To maximize the amount, take the protien either during or after your work out there is a 20 minute max window of time after your work out to consume it. Your body only takes it 8 grams of creatine a day also, And on the topic of mixing... i wouldn't if you do cardio seperately, use the carb shake before you do your cardio, for increased glycogen levels. I don't feel like going into deep detail about that warrior did on a post made by big_dan. If anyone is going to post to disagree about any of this better do some deep research.

2 grams per pound of body weight! even for a hard gainer that is way too much so your saying i should take 470grams of protien in a day since im 235? and double that with carbs? I doubt my body could even consume almost 500 grams of protien in one day. Correct if im wrong silverfox.

oh yah and you add milk to your protien your past 48grams your in the 50's!@##

Listen to silverfox, he knows what he's talking about.

The protein shakes are 48gms with milk, 40 if i mix with water (which I do from time to time). I take carb. mix b4 and during workout and a protein shake straight after.

I too had read that the body can only deal with about 36gms of protein per digestive cycle and have also read that excessive protein is wasted and/or damages your kidneys.

I'd also read that I need between 1.5gm and 2gm per lb of body weight. Another piece of dietry advice I'd read - as proteins and carbohydrates are absorbed at different rates it's best you eat them separately.

I've come to my own conclusions with regard to protein and carb. intake but I value your opinions and debate. I'm currently aiming to consume about 250-350gms of protein per day and roughly twice that in carbs.

Any additional comments on any of the above.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Only way I would consume up to 2g/lbs of protein is if I was taking Deca ,EG,Primo.

Pain.

I didn't state this in my first posting as it didn't seem relevant to the original questions but I am on a cycle. I'm on my third cycle (my first two were years ago and just dbol ). My current cycle is the common dbol/deca cycle. I know I've got to eat loads more than usual during the cycle and I'm trying really hard. I'm two days into week three. I put on about 3lbs week 1, 5lbs week 2. So this week I'm piling the food in.
    Last edited by FedSki; 02-12-2003 at 10:12 AM.

Originally posted by silverfox

2g of protien per lbs of body weight 1lbs-2.2 Kgs
    4g of carbs per lbs
    don't worry about fat too much

You can look up food values off home page of AR. All meals should come from real food not shakes, only time for shake would be post workout, ideally it should be about 50g protien and 100g carbs, add in your <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=CREATINE" target="_blank">creatine</a> then as well. Total meals should be at least 7 per day ideally 8 if you can fit them in.

Thread Information