frank rizzo is offline Junior Member

Glutamine supplementation worthless???

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    hhhmmmmmm.....good read, I'll just stay brainwashed and take my glutamine though.

zzo18 is offline Associate Member
    I've got to agree with BT on this one...
    -zzo

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I do not take Glutamine for a few reasons.

1. Most of the proteins already have glutamine added.

2. The only benefit I can see from additional supplementation is for prevention of a catabolic state when on an empty stomach and nutrients are not fueling you with energy; such as when a person runs in the morning on an empty stomach, or in the middle of the night when dieting and food consumption could hinder your prgress.
    If your consuming Protein from the time you wake untill the time you sleep, I see no need.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Pheedno
    I do not take Glutamine for a few reasons.

1. Most of the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>s already have <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=GLUTAMINE" target="_blank">glutamine</a> added.

2. The only benefit I can see from additional supplementation is for prevention of a catabolic state when on an empty stomach and nutrients are not fueling you with energy; such as when a person runs in the morning on an empty stomach, or in the middle of the night when dieting and food consumption could hinder your prgress.
    If your consuming Protein from the time you wake untill the time you sleep, I see no need.
    Good points! The glutamine I take is premixed with my protein and premixed with my creatine. i do take some extra before bed though.

yellows2k is offline Member
    I only take it during cutting phases...

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Now after reading that article I have a few comments.

1) most of the articles disproved a link between glutamine supplementation and improved immunity and improved glycogen synthesis. So? Most knowledgeable people wouldn't have really thought there was a link anyway. muscle burnes amino acids differently than glycogen (most glycogen is in the liver) and there really should be no link to salivatory IgA. Most of these articels were worthless.

2) the first article was the best, but has a few problems. a) the use of non-resistance trained individuals over a period of only 6 weeks will not correlate well to well-trained individuals. and 6 weeks? it is very difficult for anyone to gain a significant amount of mass in 6 weeks (unless they are juicing). it has been shown repeatedly that strength gains are from neuromotor enhancement. all this being as it is notice that while the 1RMj squat and bench were the same, knee torque in the glutamine group was increased , lean mass increased, and rate of breakdown decreased relative to the non-suppl group. ANOVA analysis showed no significant differences, but knowing something about statistics (from cell culturing and pharmacology) this can be played with.

3) there may be no benefit. but they have not proved there case. I take glutamine mainly for the sleep benefit, which ironically, improved sleep has been shown repeatedly to enhance protein synthesis. but other reasons can be that cooked protein has almost zero bioavailable glutamine. the body doesnt process it well. it is well known that burn patients and such gain much benefit, some may question the relevance, but to me it is a matter of degree.

until good well controlled and thought out studies are performed, ill continue to "waste" my money on the stuff!

Thread Information