kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member

This needs to be said about supplements. PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU WASTE YOUR MONEY!

I am starting this thread because I notice a lot of people asking for reviews on their different supplements on here. Let me be clear about something...99% of all supps are probably garbage. I'm talking about the ones that are called "JACKED XTREME!" and "MUSCLE PYTHON!" These are all more than likely trash. You are better off going to wal mart and buying 8 packages of boneless chicken breasts, and eating good than buying that stuff.

There are plenty of vitamins and minerals that have actually been proven to work, and those are the ones I choose to spend my money on. Everyone should be taking a multivitamin. Not One-a-day or MegaMen from GNC. Go to vitamin shoppe or wherever and buy the full packet vitamins with 8 pills per serving. If you want your body to run like a ferrari, you have to treat it like one. I currently supplement with the following....

Multivitamin
    Vitamin C
    Milk Thistle
    Cranberry extract
    Chromium Picolinate
    CLA
    Fish Oil
    Creatine Ethyl Ester
    ZMA

I have only bothered with crap like NO Xplode once, and I thought it was the biggest rip off ever. First of all, You are supposed to have finished a meal approximately an hour before you lift weights, but NO Xplode is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach and 45 mins before your workout. So this means I would have to wait about 45 minutes after I eat to consume NO Xplode and then it would prob take about 10 mins to fully consume it, and then wait another 45 mins to workout? That's an hour and 40 mins! I'm 40 mins late for my workout by that point. Anyways, guys say they don't wanna put down their weights, and they get crazy pumps! Well this pump only lasts you for the hour you are working out, and a pump never really built muscle. Please don't waste your money on preworkout drinks, that only temporarily benefit you while in the gym.

There are definitely good prohormones out there, but I would read reviews on them first. Competitive Edge Labs makes some great prohormones, and at great prices. I would recommend them.

Now for all the guys that think they can use OTC "estrogen blockers" for their prohormones/steroid cycles. STOP! This is not something to mess around with. There is a pretty banner in the top right corner of this web page. Click on it, and buy yourself some clomid and nolvadex and do some research.

Creatine buyers: Creatine monohydrate and liquid creatine and cell tech is all pretty much garbage now. Do yourself a favor and get some creatine ethyl ester, and stop wasting your money by only getting a small percentage of the creatine into your muscles.

To sum up everything, buy supplements that are actually PROVEN to work. If a company has to use a gimmicky name like "Muscle Matrix" it probably is worthless. Eat good, train hard, get 8 hours of sleep without interruption as often as you can, and put scientifically proven vitamins/minerals/supps into your body, only after the first three requirements have been met.

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    creatine ethyl ester
    chromium
    zma
    cla

All useless....
    sorry....

Use regular monohydrate...drop the chromium, cla and zma....

If you want me to elaborate i can....but its late...need to go to bed...tomorrow if your interested.....

Blog Entries
    I agree with your contention for the most part, just not your choices.

One of the best posts i ever read in a forum:
    "if you want to grow eat eat eat ....leave the shiny tubs of glory up on the shelf...."

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Yes but eating is hard work. I want to take a magic pill lol. I do wish it worked that way and so do most people, thats why we have so many crappy supplements. Ignorant people eat it up without doing their homework.

sensaispike is offline Member
    i am going to have to agree with jimmyinkedup.... its hard to beat good ol creatine monohydrate.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sensaispike View Post
    i am going to have to agree with jimmyinkedup.... its hard to beat good ol creatine monohydrate.....
    Ironically enough i got into a debate a couple years ago with a rep here. My contention was that ethyl esterification would not result in increased absorption or prevent conversion to creatinine. While this contention of increased absorption had been know to work with some substances -the exact opposite held true with others. I suspected the latter would be the case witrh creatine. I had no proof...just opinion based on sound speculation.
    Well it turns out i was apparently correct(dont get it twisted -not always the case). A study by Dr Tallon and Dr Child from the uk compared 2 cee products against regular old monohydrate. After exposure to stomach acids one cee product degraded to the point that only 75% of it was available for absorption. The other cee product degraded to the point that only 11% was available!
    Regular monohydrate...held steady at 99% availability......

Other studies (i believe University of Tulsa) showed cee was no more effective..possibly less effective...and surely less effective due to lower doasges in most cee products (flawed logic - you need less because more is absorbed)....

If cee doesnt bloat you when regular creatine mono does...its probably just because you arent getting the amount of creatine that is effective due to degradation or underdosage.

Tough92 is offline Junior Member
    Ill make a better list for you

General Supplements that work

Multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Creatine mono
    Whey/Casian protein(if you count protein powder as a sup)
    Pre-Workouts(for energy,pump,etc)

Basically everything else is shit such as 'test boosters" they are garbage and DO NOT WORK.If you a deficit in a certain vitamin or using a vitamin with a problem you have then fine but other than that everything is not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Ironically enough i got into a debate a couple years ago with a rep here. My contention was that ethyl esterification would not result in increased absorption or prevent conversion to creatinine. While this contention of increased absorption had been know to work with some substances -the exact opposite held true with others. I suspected the latter would be the case witrh creatine. I had no proof...just opinion based on sound speculation.
    Well it turns out i was apparently correct(dont get it twisted -not always the case). A study by Dr Tallon and Dr Child from the uk compared 2 cee products against regular old monohydrate. After exposure to stomach acids one cee product degraded to the point that only 75% of it was available for absorption. The other cee product degraded to the point that only 11% was available!
    Regular monohydrate...held steady at 99% availability......

Other studies (i believe University of Tulsa) showed cee was no more effective..possibly less effective...and surely less effective due to lower doasges in most cee products (flawed logic - you need less because more is absorbed)....

If cee doesnt bloat you when regular creatine mono does...its probably just because you arent getting the amount of creatine that is effective due to degradation or underdosage.
    whats your thoughts on creatine nitrate?Suppose to be better than mono

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tough92 View Post

Multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Creatine mono

Basically everything else is shit such as 'test boosters" they are garbage and DO NOT WORK.If you a deficit in a certain vitamin or using a vitamin with a problem you have then fine but other than that everything is not needed.
    I like that list much better. Pre workouts - well this is my take anyway. Stay away from products that strictly provide a "pump" - its essentially uselss for building muscle. Look at other benfits the product offers - pump is meaningless to me or at least secondary. Hell sometimes its a detriment. One primary ingredient to avoid is glycerol in a preworkout. Its very decieving..it provides a "false pump". What glycerol does is pull water from muscle and other tissue into the blood. Its great to prevent dehydration if you are an endurance athelete...but if you are a bodybuilder you are pulling water and nutrients (creatine) OUT of muscle. Many products containing this claim "increased nutrient delivery" - just the opposite is true. The also claim "amazing muscle pump" - also not true...the pump is from glycerol concentrating in the space in between muscle fibers....not a muscle pump at all.

Im very intruiged by nitrates and still looking into them. They def increase NO..but that doesnt do much for me....however there are other benfits they may provide that do. Nutrient partioning and some others.
    To sum up..i dont know but it looks very promising. Im still forming an opinion..i suspect it will be at least as good as mono with likelyhood of other added benefits - again thats just preliminary speculation on my part.

I like that list much better. Pre workouts - well this is my take anyway. Stay away from products that strictly provide a "pump" - its essentially uselss for building muscle. Look at other benfits the product offers - pump is meaningless to me or at least secondary. Hell sometimes its a detriment. One primary ingredient to avoid is glycerol in a preworkout. Its very decieving..it provides a "false pump". What glycerol does is pull water from muscle and other tissue into the blood. Its great to prevent dehydration if you are an endurance athelete...but if you are a bodybuilder you are pulling water and nutrients (creatine) OUT of muscle. Many products containing this claim "increased nutrient delivery" - just the opposite is true. The also claim "amazing muscle pump" - also not true...the pump is from glycerol concentrating in the space in between muscle fibers....not a muscle pump at all.

Im very intruiged by nitrates and still looking into them. They def increase NO..but that doesnt do much for me....however there are other benfits they may provide that do. Nutrient partioning and some others.
    To sum up..i dont know but it looks very promising. Im still forming an opinion..i suspect it will be at least as good as mono with likelyhood of other added benefits - again thats just preliminary speculation on my part.
    Wow did not know about the glycerol gonna check out which preworkouts contain it know,and yea I think preworkout are great for energy and focus and like you said muscle pumps do nothing for gaining muscle/strenth but hey who don't like having there muscles pumped up lol

And as for nitrates I haven't researched them yet but like you said they look legit.You seem knowlge of supps so may I ask wats AKG?I see nitrates are new but also see a lot of ingrdients that have AKG in front of there name such as AKG Arginine,Arginine seems to be the main NO ingrdient in supps but last time I checked studies showed that it was useless in creating a pump and pretty much a waste,so wats with this AKG stuff now

Multivitamin
    Fish Oil
    Creatine mono

that isn't a better list. i don't count protein powder as a supp. that should be a given. and preworkout stuff is garbage...how about stuff that works ALL DAY LONG?

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04 View Post
    that isn't a better list. i don't count protein powder as a supp. that should be a given. and preworkout stuff is garbage...how about stuff that works ALL DAY LONG?
    Wut do u mean all day long?how are preworkouts garbage?they give u energy and focus in the gym which def helps,there not needed but help

For instance, Hdrol works all day long. I guess I'll repost why I think they are not worth the money. here is what i said above...

I have only bothered with crap like NO Xplode once, and I thought it was the biggest rip off ever. First of all, You are supposed to have finished a meal approximately an hour before you lift weights, but NO Xplode is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach and 45 mins before your workout. So this means I would have to wait about 45 minutes after I eat to consume NO Xplode and then it would prob take about 10 mins to fully consume it, and then wait another 45 mins to workout? That's an hour and 40 mins! I'm 40 mins late for my workout by that point. Anyways, guys say they don't wanna put down their weights, and they get crazy pumps! Well this pump only lasts you for the hour you are working out, and a pump never really built muscle. Please don't waste your money on preworkout drinks, that only temporarily benefit you while in the gym.

If you really need energy, take b vitamins. I never really needed energy or motivation once i got in the gym, or a pump that lasts me an hour.

Blog Entries
    Wow did not know about the glycerol gonna check out which preworkouts contain it know,and yea I think preworkout are great for energy and focus and like you said muscle pumps do nothing for gaining muscle/strenth but hey who don't like having there muscles pumped up lol

And as for nitrates I haven't researched them yet but like you said they look legit.You seem knowlge of supps so may I ask wats AKG?I see nitrates are new but also see a lot of ingrdients that have AKG in front of there name such as AKG Arginine,Arginine seems to be the main NO ingrdient in supps but last time I checked studies showed that it was useless in creating a pump and pretty much a waste,so wats with this AKG stuff now
    alpha-ketoglutarate (alpha-ketoglutaric acid) - it play a role in the metabolism of nitric oxides and in krebs cycle. Most often you see it in the form of argenine alpa-ketoglutarate. The though was/is since argenine and akg play a role in nitric oxide metabolism the combo would increase nitric oxide. Thew fact is no real evidence shows that external supplementation shows any effect on NO levels in muscle ....and evidence also shows that increased NO doesnt result in increased protein synthesis or muscle strength.
    Now nitrates DO apparently increase NO ...but who cares really? Its the other potential benfits of nitrate supplementation im looking into. As has been mentioned - pump is more a feeling than a true muscle building benefit. Thats why IMO look to other benfits in a pre workout first if you want to use one.
    JMO...

Blog Entries
    For instance, Hdrol works all day long. I guess I'll repost why I think they are not worth the money. here is what i said above...

If you really need energy, take b vitamins. I never really needed energy or motivation once i got in the gym, or a pump that lasts me an hour.
    I primarily agree with you based on NO supps alone. I have to admit ive used eca pre workout for energy on and off for years. I do think preworkouts are overhyped. Im am intruiged by some that contain creatine nitrate and other nitrates not for pump but for other potential benfits. I also see nothing wrong with an energy boost pre workout. I agree much of that is mental and being motivated and in the right mindset is first and foremost. I also see nothing wrong with something that benfits you soley in the gym. Hell the better the workout - the better the result. I think preworkouts need to be seen for what they are ...and looked at for what they will and will not do. Most at this point simply provide energy boost. Some contain Beta Alanine and/or Citruline malate - we could get into every ingredient and what it may of may not do. Suffice it to say they are overhyped and thus expectations are skewed - as are outrageous claims of benfits recieved due to placebo effect.
    Nitrates however MAY actually provide some ergogenic benfit...jury is still out on that for me.
    If you want supp that benfit you all the time ...why are you taking useless ones like cla (trans fat - proven useless) , zma (do i even have to?) , chromium (uselss in non diabetics). Im not being smart a$$ - i do think if you are open to it i can make some suggestions and you can give them a try - and replace some of these with other things that may actually provide benfits. If you want tell me what you are taking these for....ill be happy to provide data to support my above contentions and offer some potentially helpful suggestions. Not that im the be all end all here - far from it - im always learning in this area. Maybe you can enligthen me on one of these 3 supps.

Blog Entries
    i have to say that i like jack3d as a preworkout supp...besides whey protien and vitamins its the only supp i take...i dont consider pro-hormones a supp as they are designer steroids that should be avoided inho...

I primarily agree with you based on NO supps alone. I have to admit ive used eca pre workout for energy on and off for years. I do think preworkouts are overhyped. Im am intruiged by some that contain creatine nitrate and other nitrates not for pump but for other potential benfits. I also see nothing wrong with an energy boost pre workout. I agree much of that is mental and being motivated and in the right mindset is first and foremost. I also see nothing wrong with something that benfits you soley in the gym. Hell the better the workout - the better the result. I think preworkouts need to be seen for what they are ...and looked at for what they will and will not do. Most at this point simply provide energy boost. Some contain Beta Alanine and/or Citruline malate - we could get into every ingredient and what it may of may not do. Suffice it to say they are overhyped and thus expectations are skewed - as are outrageous claims of benfits recieved due to placebo effect.
    Nitrates however MAY actually provide some ergogenic benfit...jury is still out on that for me.
    If you want supp that benfit you all the time ...why are you taking useless ones like cla (trans fat - proven useless) , zma (do i even have to?) , chromium (uselss in non diabetics). Im not being smart a$$ - i do think if you are open to it i can make some suggestions and you can give them a try - and replace some of these with other things that may actually provide benfits. If you want tell me what you are taking these for....ill be happy to provide data to support my above contentions and offer some potentially helpful suggestions. Not that im the be all end all here - far from it - im always learning in this area. Maybe you can enligthen me on one of these 3 supps.
    Well ECA is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it decreases bloodflow, so I would not recommend taking that pre workout, but it would be good throughout the day for weight loss/energy. I have seen studies that show CLA to be effective, so please show me yours which say it isn't. ZMA --I've seen studies that show an increase in free testosterone with use of this supplement, and I get the best sleep i've ever had on this stuff, and i wake up feeling refreshed every morning. If it costs me 30 bucks a bottle for a month supply of great sleep, it is worth it alone to me. I've also seen studies that show chromium picolinate to be effective, so please show me yours which show it isn't. As far as the NO supps go, my main problem with that stuff is the fact that you are supposed to wait to take it on an empty stomach, and then wait 45 minutes before your workout after consuming it. That's a solid hour and 40 minutes since your last meal, which means you are 40 mins late for your workout, especially if you are on a strict meal schedule that involves eating every 2-3 hours.

Blog Entries
    Well ECA is a vasoconstrictor, meaning it decreases bloodflow, so I would not recommend taking that pre workout, but it would be good throughout the day for weight loss/energy. I have seen studies that show CLA to be effective, so please show me yours which say it isn't. ZMA --I've seen studies that show an increase in free testosterone with use of this supplement, and I get the best sleep i've ever had on this stuff, and i wake up feeling refreshed every morning. If it costs me 30 bucks a bottle for a month supply of great sleep, it is worth it alone to me. I've also seen studies that show chromium picolinate to be effective, so please show me yours which show it isn't. As far as the NO supps go, my main problem with that stuff is the fact that you are supposed to wait to take it on an empty stomach, and then wait 45 minutes before your workout after consuming it. That's a solid hour and 40 minutes since your last meal, which means you are 40 mins late for your workout, especially if you are on a strict meal schedule that involves eating every 2-3 hours.
    CLA -

If you are a diabetic it can increase insulin sensativity...if not it DECREASES insulin sensativity:

At Uppsala University (Diabetologica v. 47, 2004) obese men were given 3.4 g of CLA for 12 weeks. They came down with hyperproinsulinaenemia. Translation: their insulin sensitivity was impaired. This condition is a prelude to both diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The authors concluded, “The use of weight loss supplements containing this fatty acid is worrying.” That’s an understatement certainly.

Uppsala University followed up this study (Am. J. Clin. Nutr. v. 80, 2004). They gave obese men 3 g of CLA for 12 weeks. Insulin sensitivity decreased by 15%. There were no measurable changes in body composition whatsoever. Lipid peroxidation increased as well which means you have more chance of getting cardiovascular disease. They promise to do similar studies in women.

University of Reading (Am. J. Clin Nutr. v. 80, 2004) Doctors gave healthy men CLA for eight weeks and raised their total cholesterol as well as their triglyceride levels.
    A few more:
    J. Salas-Salvadó et al., “Conjugated Linoleic Acid Intake In Humans : A Systematic Review Focusing on Its Effect on Body Composition, Glucose and Lipid Metabolism,” Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 46, 2006, p. 479
    content:there is not enough evidence to show that conjugated linoleic acid has an effect on weight and body composition in humans.” It was also found to have a negative effect on cholesterol.
    Craig Pinkoski et al., “The Effects of Conjugated Linoleic Acid Supplementation during Resistance Training,” Medicine and Science in Sports & Exercise, 2006, p. 347
    content:during weight training “CLA has small effects for decreasing fat mass and increasing lean tissue mass… the clinical significance is most likely quite small. The effect of CLA on fat and lean tissue mass was not supported in our crossover study.”

Ive never heard of anyone getting any dramatic effect from this. The effects on cholestrol & triglyceride levels are not surprising..its a trans fat. Its not rcognized as such nutritionally because trans linkages in a conjugated system are not required to be classified as such under nutritional reguilations....but it is.

suggestion:ala (esp in some forms) and an omega 3,6,9 (or at least fish oil)would prob do better..without adverse effects on cholesterol and trigycerides and plus illict a positive effect on insulin sensativity and inflamatory response. Also if you added ala...you would actually get the benfit i belive you are seeking with chromium..only ala works.
    JMO

Blog Entries
    ZMA:
    Testoterone effects (lack therof):

http://www.ergo-log.com/zma.html
    and this:

Effects of Zinc Magnesium Aspartate (ZMA) Supplementation on Training Adaptations and Markers of Anabolism and Catabolism

Colin D Wilborn,1 Chad M Kerksick,1 Bill I Campbell,1 Lem W Taylor,1 Brandon M Marcello,1 Christopher J Rasmussen,1 Mike C Greenwood,1 Anthony Almada,2 and Richard B Kreider1

1Exercise & Sport Nutrition Lab, Baylor University, Waco, TX
    2IMAGINutrition, Laguna Nigel, CA
    Corresponding author.
    Richard B Kreider: [email protected]
    Received December 18, 2004; Accepted December 28, 2004.
    This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
    Other Sectionsâ–¼
    Abstract
    This study examined whether supplementing the diet with a commercial supplement containing zinc magnesium aspartate (ZMA) during training affects zinc and magnesium status, anabolic and catabolic hormone profiles, and/or training adaptations. Forty-two resistance trained males (27 � 9 yrs; 178 � 8 cm, 85 � 15 kg, 18.6 � 6% body fat) were matched according to fat free mass and randomly assigned to ingest in a double blind manner either a dextrose placebo (P) or ZMA 30�60 minutes prior to going to sleep during 8-weeks of standardized resistance-training. Subjects completed testing sessions at 0, 4, and 8 weeks that included body composition assessment as determined by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry, 1-RM and muscular endurance tests on the bench and leg press, a Wingate anaerobic power test, and blood analysis to assess anabolic/catabolic status as well as markers of health. Data were analyzed using repeated measures ANOVA. Results indicated that ZMA supplementation non-significantly increased serum zinc levels by 11 � 17% (p = 0.12). However, no significant differences were observed between groups in anabolic or catabolic hormone status, body composition, 1-RM bench press and leg press, upper or lower body muscular endurance, or cycling anaerobic capacity. Results indicate that ZMA supplementation during training does not appear to enhance training adaptations in resistance trained populations.
    Full paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129161/

and this:

Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;63(1):65-70. Epub 2007 Sep 19.

Serum testosterone and urinary excretion of steroid hormone metabolites after administration of a high-dose zinc supplement.

Koehler K, Parr MK, Geyer H, Mester J, Sch�nzer W.

Institute of Biochemistry, German Research Centre of Elite Sport, German Sport University Cologne, Cologne, Germany. [email protected]
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVES: To investigate whether the administration of the zinc-containing nutritional supplement ZMA causes an increase of serum testosterone levels , which is an often claimed effect in advertising for such products; to monitor the urinary excretion of testosterone and selected steroid hormone metabolites to detect potential changes in the excretion patterns of ZMA users.

SUBJECTS: Fourteen healthy, regularly exercising men aged 22-33 years with a baseline zinc intake between 11.9 and 23.2 mg day(-1) prior to the study.

RESULTS: Supplementation of ZMA significantly increased serum zinc (P=0.031) and urinary zinc excretion (P=0.035). Urinary pH (P=0.011) and urine flow (P=0.045) were also elevated in the subjects using ZMA. No significant changes in serum total and serum free testosterone were observed in response to ZMA use. Also, the urinary excretion pattern of testosterone metabolites was not significantly altered in ZMA users.

CONCLUSIONS: The present data suggest that the use of ZMA has no significant effects regarding serum testosterone levels and the metabolism of testosterone in subjects who consume a zinc-sufficient diet.
    PMID: 17882141 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

The only study that showed zma had positive effect on test has been dismissed for several reasons. It was funded by Victor Conte the "discoverer" of this supplement and it was falsely reported to be published in a very respected journal to lend credibilty-that report was a lie. These are 2 of sevral reasons its BS.
    Suggestion:If zma helps you sleep in all likelyhoodit is a resulty of magnesium defficiency (this result in low levels of melatonin)or placebo. If you arr in fact magnesium defficient...try taking magnesium chelate ...about $4 for a 90 day supply.
    The likelyhood of being zinc or magnesium defficient is low. Sources for zinc are proteins and nuts. Sources for magnesium are whole grains and nut. Plus factor in the content in your multi. Defficiency not likely - however as i suggested other cheaper just as effective options if in fact you are.
    JMO.
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 03-16-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Chromium:

Resistive training and chromium picolinate: effects on inositols and liver and kidney functions in older adults.
    Thirty-two nondiabetic subjects, age 62 +/- 4 y, performed RT twice weekly for 12 wk and consumed either 924 ug Cr/d as Cr-pic (n = 17) or a placebo (n = 15). Whole-body strength increased in all subjects by 20 % (CR101).
    Effects of resistive training and chromium picolinate on body composition and skeletal muscle size in older women.
    Percent body fat and fat-free mass were unchanged with RT in these weight-stable women, independent of Cr-pic supplementation. Type I and type II muscle fiber areas of the m. vastus lateralis were not changed over time and were not influenced by Cr-pic supplementation (CR102).
    Effect of chromium supplementation and exercise on body composition, resting metabolic rate and selected biochemical parameters in moderately obese women following an exercise program.
    Twelve weeks of 400 microg/day of chromium as a CP supplement did not significantly affect body composition, RMR, plasma glucose, serum insulin , plasma glucagon, serum C-peptide and serum lipid concentrations or iron and zinc indices in moderately obese women placed on an exercise program. The changes in serum total cholesterol levels and TIBC were a result of the exercise program (CR103).
    The effect of chromium picolinate on muscular strength and body composition in women athletes.
    Fifteen women softball athletes were randomly divided into 2 groups, the chromium treatment group (n = 8) and the placebo control group (n = 7).
    The CrPic supplementation consisted of a 500 ug dosage taken once per day. All participants trained 3 times per week with 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions at 80% of 1 repetition maximum (1RM) using variable resistance machines and free weights. No significant (p < 0.05) differences in muscular strength or body composition were found after 6 weeks of resistance training (CR104).
    Effects of carbohydrate and chromium ingestion during intermittent high-intensity exercise to fatigue.
    The data confirm an ergogenic benefit of ingesting CHO during exercise designed to imitate sports like basketball, soccer, and hockey, but do not support the hypothesis that the addition of Cr would enhance this effect (CR105).
    Effect of resistance training with or without chromium picolinate supplementation on glucose metabolism in older men and women.
    The effect of 12 weeks of resistance training (RT) with or without chromium picolinate (Cr-pic) supplementation on glucose tolerance was assessed in moderately overweight older men and women (age, 62 +/- 4 years; body mass index , 29.1 +/- 2.5 kg/m2).
    High-dose Cr-pic supplementation had no effect on any measure of glucose metabolism during RT (CR106).
    [b]Effects of resistance training and chromium picolinate on body composition and skeletal muscle in older men.
    18 men (age range 56-69 yr). The men were randomly assigned (double-blind) to groups (n = 9) that consumed either 17.8 micromol Cr/day (924 microg Cr/day) as CrPic or a low-Cr placebo for 12 wk while participating twice weekly in a high-intensity RT program.
    High-dose CrPic supplementation did not enhance muscle size, strength, or power development or lean body mass accretion in older men during a RT program, which had significant, independent effects on these measurements (CR107).
    Chromium picolinate effects on body composition and muscular performance in wrestlers.
    Chromium picolinate supplementation coupled with a typical preseason training program does not enhance body composition or performance variables beyond improvements seen with training alone (CR108).
    Chromium and exercise training: effect on obese women.
    We conclude that high levels of chromium picolinate supplementation are contraindicated for weight loss in young, obese women (CR109).
    Chromium supplementation and resistance training: effects on body composition, strength, and trace element status of men.
    The effects of 8 wk of daily chromium supplementation (3.3-3.5 mumol as chromium chloride or chromium picolinate) or placebo (0.1 mumol Cr) and weight training were examined in 36 men in a double-blind design.
    Routine chromium supplementation has no beneficial effects on body- composition change or strength gain in men (CR110).
    Effects of chromium picolinate on body composition.
    The study employed a double-blind, placebo-controlled protocol and lasted for 16 weeks.
    400 micrograms chromium picolinate or a placebo were distributed to healthy, active-duty Navy personnel (79 men, 16 women).
    chromium picolinate was ineffective in enhancing body fat reduction in this group (CR111).
    Effects of chromium picolinate supplementation on body composition, strength, and urinary chromium loss in football players.
    Chromium picolinate supplementation was ineffective in bringing about changes in body composition or strength during a program of intensive weight-lifting training (CR112).
    Only the last study shows an effect from chromium picolinate on body weight in women but not men. Did this mean muscle or fat.........?
    Effects of chromium picolinate on beginning weight training students.
    Changes in body weight (BW), a sum of three body circumferences (sigma C), a sum of three skinfolds (sigma SF), and the one-repetition maximum (1RM) for the squat (SQ) and bench press (BP) were examined in 59 college-age students (37 males [M], 22 females [F]) over a 12-week weight lifting program. Using a double-blind protocol, half of the students were given 200 micrograms/day chromium (Cr) in the form of chromium picolinate (CrPic) while the other half received a placebo (P).
    The only significant treatment effect found was due to the F-CrPic group gaining more BW (p = 0.0048) than the other three groups. It was concluded that CrPic supplementation had a greater effect on the females than on the males (CR113).

REFERENCES

CR101)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...101&query_hl=1
    CR102)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...613&query_hl=1
    CR103)http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/20/4/293
    CR104)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...399&query_hl=1
    CR105)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...374&query_hl=1
    CR106)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...851&query_hl=1
    CR107)http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/86/1/29
    CR108)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...607&query_hl=1
    CR109)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...955&query_hl=1
    CR110)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...693&query_hl=1
    CR111)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...075&query_hl=1
    CR112)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...959&query_hl=1
    CR113)http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...504&query_hl=1

Chromium does play a role in our body as far as insulin sensativity - that doesnt mean more improves this The bottom line is this as shown above. Like many supps, this was pushed on anecdotal evidence.

Suggestion: Kill 2 birds with one stone. Suppelment with ala in lieu of cla and chromium. Use Regualr ALA or na-r-ala. R-ala is touted for better ala availibity than regular ala howevr due to its degradation with exposure to light it is unlikely that through manufacture , packaging shipping etc you will recieve it without some degradation taking place.

Blog Entries

As far as NO supps i think we are in agreement. Increasing NO has not been shown in any way to increase muscle and making ANY dietary sacrifices to use a supplement IMO is never prudent.
    Also of note as vasodialation has shown no improvement in muscle growth in my experience vasoconstriction (eca) has shown no adverse impact on it either. I do,however, see the practicality in your statement regarding eca preworkout .
    ECA has served me well over the years in several ways. I suggest people use it prudently and investigate benefits vs side effects and make a personal determination if its use is prudent for them.
    As i said - i think we are basically in agreement regarding supplements. I think diet, training and rest should ALWAYS be first priority and after those are in order - good prudent supplementation has its smaller place.

Blog Entries
    I bumped this thread because this was an interesting point that got me thinking. Thanks to kaptain for bringing it up. Ive used ECA for years...and never thought it impaired my performance. I always get a pump working out (which would show vasoconstriction was at very least limited). I decided to do some research. Found some intresting info . The overall gist is while ephedrine is a vasoconstrictor this effect is not only negated but reversed during exercise.
    Essentially what occurs is this. While exercising a1 receptors (stimulation results in vascoconstriction) are blocked. b2 receptors take over - resulting in vasodialation. Both are effected by ephedrine but during exercise this is what occurs.
    So for those concerned about vasoconstriction - dont be. As far as pump - well its highly overated as far as muscle buildinbg goes (at times i think it impairs my workouts)and aparently,according to studies, claims of "increased nutrirnt delivery" from increased NO dont translate to more muscle anyway, but ephedrine will not impair and probably aid in achieveing a pump. My main concern over vasoconstriction during exercise would be high blood pressure...but aparently that wont occur since the above is what takes place. If anything vasodialation would occur resulting in lowering of blood pressure.

Also of note aprently plain old aspirin (as in the eca stack) raises NO levels as well:

"FAU researchers conducted a randomized trial in patients at high risk of a first heart attack or stroke and assigned them to different doses of aspirin for 12 weeks. All doses produced highly significant beneficial effects on two important and well documented markers of nitric oxide formation."*

*Usual Doses of Aspirin Increase Nitric Acid Formation in Humans" is published in the November 2009 issue of Circulation, the official journal of the American Heart Association.

So good old eca stack may be a damn good pre work out that truely raises NO -if that is your goal. Mine in using it is simply energy. Nice to know however no dangers of drmatically increased blood presuure due to positive effect of vasodialation this stack illicits.
    Last edited by jimmyinkedup; 04-02-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Thread Information