Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    uniquemr2 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    11

    Calcium Caseinate

    Hey i'm starting to cut for the first time, since i dont have time to eat at 10am i want to buy a protein powder thats low carb and slow digesting. I'm thinking of Calcium Caseinate http://www.proteinfactory.com/in_case.htm
    what do you guys think? will it be useful taking it in the morning because it recommends taking it before bed. I also find this very affordable compared to other blended low carb protein powders. helps appeciated.

  2. #2
    Warrior's Avatar
    Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    6'0"/248lbs
    Posts
    7,129
    Slow down brah - Calcium Caseinate is a mineral. Casein is a protein source, 90 percent of milk protein - Whey being the other 10 percent of milk protein.

  3. #3
    painintheazz's Avatar
    painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    3,352
    Originally posted by Warrior
    Slow down brah - Calcium Caseinate is a mineral. Casein is a <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> source, 90 percent of milk <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> - Whey being the other 10 percent of milk <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a>.
    Agreed, Casein is what you want. If you want to slow the absorbtion of that down a little more add some Flax and Fiber to it too.

    Pain

  4. #4
    jeffylyte's Avatar
    jeffylyte is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Posts
    696
    sorry to throw a wrench in the concensus, but calcium caseinate is just an alkali salt of casein. Casein is present as the calcium salt in cow milk (and as a potassium salt in human milk, in case you were wondering). As casein's isoelectric point is at a pH of 4.7. Unless you put the stuff in dilute acid (such as cirus juice) it will always form a salt. Typically we work at neutral so this is the case (ironically in the stomach it will form the acid salt as casein is amphoteric).

    Lesson: it doesn't really matter if it is calcium caseinate, it will work just like drinking it from the cows tit!

  5. #5
    painintheazz's Avatar
    painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    3,352
    Originally posted by jeffylyte
    sorry to throw a wrench in the concensus, but calcium caseinate is just an alkali salt of casein. Casein is present as the calcium salt in cow milk (and as a potassium salt in human milk, in case you were wondering). As casein's isoelectric point is at a pH of 4.7. Unless you put the stuff in dilute acid (such as cirus juice) it will always form a salt. Typically we work at neutral so this is the case (ironically in the stomach it will form the acid salt as casein is amphoteric).

    Lesson: it doesn't really matter if it is calcium caseinate, it will work just like drinking it from the cows tit!
    It will still digest slower than whey, correct??

    Pain

  6. #6
    jeffylyte's Avatar
    jeffylyte is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Posts
    696
    Yes both should. For slowest release casein might be better. but its hard to judge as in the high acid content of the stomach the calcium caseinate will wither neutralize (and precipitate thus slowing absorption. casein isnt very soluble in water) or form the acid chloride just like pure casein would. of course, the less soluble something is, the less of it is adsorbed. that throws another factor in. this is why, i say just don't worry about it. eat a bunch of other slow digesting stuff with it, to slow it down.

  7. #7
    painintheazz's Avatar
    painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    3,352
    That is what Flax and Fiber is for. I bet with those 2 whey is just as slow if not slower.

    Pain

  8. #8
    painintheazz's Avatar
    painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    3,352
    BTW, where did you get this info on proteins???

    Pain

  9. #9
    jeffylyte's Avatar
    jeffylyte is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    Posts
    696
    the casein info is directly from the merck index (a reference for primarily biologic chemicals). once I had the specifics it was just inference from that, ie knowing the isoelectic point, how does it act.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •