Thread: "Impact Carbs"

bearohs is offline New Member

"Impact Carbs"

I have been drinking these EAS edge zero carb RTD's for a while now, and at walmart i saw that some of the bars looked appealing. So i started reading adn i noticed taht the nutritution label said 18grams of CHO's and the front said "2g impact carbs"....

Can someone please let me know what the hell this is about.

bearohs

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Impact carbs are carbs that effect your insulin levels. All the other cals come from what the FDA wants called carbs but don't effect insulin levels. Mainly sugar alcohols. They have cals but no/little impact on insulin. Also fiber is a carb but doesn't effect insulin.

Pain

so bottom line if you are watching your CHO intake do you count only the impact carbs, or all of the ones... there is a large difference.

bearohs

Well you have to count them as cals since they are if you want you don't have to count them as carbs since they really won't be effecting your insulin levels, which is the whole idea behind a low carb diet.

Pain

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    now i gotta stop and say thanks, this is a very nice thread.

Pain you are very good at this info, i look forward to learning much more from you. Diet is the key to everything

thanks P.I.T.A. ..
    im gonna limit myself to one bar a day, i eat more real food than most people. so i odnt imagine it will hurt..

Originally posted by Buddha_Red
    now i gotta stop and say thanks, this is a very nice thread.

Pain you are very good at this info, i look forward to learning much more from you. Diet is the key to everything
    Thanks bro, and yes Diet is the key to everything.

Pain

Originally posted by bearohs
    thanks P.I.T.A. ..
    im gonna limit myself to one bar a day, i eat more real food than most people. so i odnt imagine it will hurt..
    I am the same way, I eat real food all the time except post workout. When cutting with low carbs I give myself one bar a day, one that has a low net carb impact (nitro tech and solid protein are my favs.) This helps with the whole low carb thing and makes me feel good because it is almost like a little cheating, but it really isn't.

Pain

Keightly is offline Junior Member
    couldnt agree more

I do belive that sugar alcohols should be counted if you are on a ketosis diet. The structures of sugar alcohols are nerly identical to the same sugars that replenish the TCA cycle and kick you out of ketosis. hey may not be recognised by your pancreas, but i would bet they are still broken down into TCA intermediates. I looked for a direct mention of this in some biochemistry books and found nothing about their specific route in metabolism but many websites have stated that they will end ketosis and anectotal evidence from other message board confirm this.

I am not sure on how they act, I have seen some research suggesting they are more like a fat than a carb, and the only reason the FDA puts them as carbs is because they have 4.63cal/gram. Still I am not sure, also I thought what ended keto was the liver getting refilled with carbs, I am not sure that these "carbs" will refuel the liver, I thought that was mainly done by fructose. As I am not saying any of what I am saying is 100% true as I do not have a bio-chem degree and I am not arguing any of the points you brought up. I think they are still a under studied topic and the real info on them will come out in the future. BTW, I take in 80-100g of carbs a day 50-60g being non impact (fiber and sugar alcohols). My diet isn't even really a keto diet as I think my fat % is too low, yet I get into keto many times during the day, I test with strips and from the smell of my urine (I feel weird when people are next to me and I am pissing and it smells so bad, O well that is the smell of fat burning.) So I think another part is your personal body type and how it uses them, we are all different.

Pain

BTW, do you have any knowledge on sugar alcohols and r-ALA? I am interested to know if r-ALA has any effect on them since they don't effect insulin . I am not sure what to think on this topic.

Pain

"Still I am not sure, also I thought what ended keto was the liver getting refilled with carbs"

what really ends keto is when you allow the TCA cycle intermediates into any cells. tca intermediates can be made from alot of stuff, most notably, carbs. But citric acid, which has no calories, can do it too. The intermediates serve as the engine not the fuel, hence, 0 calorie keto killer. glycerol, a sugar alcohol, absolutely can fill the TCA cycle.

I dont know much about r-ala at all but am interested to learn how it works. If what i understand is true and it mimics insulin than it would effect them since insulin basicaly accelerates any reaction that uses glucose (muscle glucagon formation, fat and protien synth) and stops reactions that create glucose. I know that sorbitol builds up in the eyes of diabetes patients which indicates that insulin will increase sugar alcohol use in the body just as it will for glucose since their structure is so close.

What i dont get about rALA is that if it mimics insulin it would increase fat synth too, unless that itself is when insulin and rALA differ. I suppose it would still be a good thing to turn sugar into fat if you were certain it would put you into keto becasue then when the fat is burnt there would be less energy out than you put in....could you describe r-ala for me?

My diet is identical to yours except i dont eat any sugal alcohols (at least not knowing it) and i go in and out of ketosis as well.

Thanks bro,

Pain

hah i guess i got a good new thread going, for being new here.

So here is my reply to all this.. What is the benefit of floating near ketosis? I have always tried to keep a 40/30/30 Split, but start cuttin the CHO's when dieting (which i dont do very well anyways)... can someone explain why they like floating near that line adn how beneficial is it in getting to a fat loss goal?

I like getting near that line because I know at that point my insulin is really low so I am burning fat for energy. Plus I think it is cool the fact that I am in a sense pissing out fat, I love the smell too, JK.. For me getting near that line is important because I beleive I have a very high sensitivity to insulin so having blood glycogen levels low is very helpful for me when cutting. That is my .02

Pain

Thread Information