peace_frog is offline Associate Member

ALA + r-ALA= synergenic effect?

Do ALA and r-ALA work through different mechanisms so that by taking them both you could get a synergenic effect? Anyone know?

As a side note on ALA, it has recently been found to stop alzhiemers(sp) in its tracks. No other compound, neither natural or drug form, as been able to do this. A number of people in a controled medical study were studied for a year. The group taking ALA showed no new or progressive symptoms from the alzheimers disease over the length of the study. Im not sure why hasnt made major news( well...I dont watch much news anyways) Just thought you all might want to know that.Ive been taking ALA for years. I still cant find my keys and Im lucky to know what day it is most of the time. It must not be alzheimers.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    NO ALA has 50% s-ALA and r-ALA the s-ALA has actually been found to work negatively. That is also why you need to take 300mg of ALA for it to be as effective as 100mg of r-ALA.

Pain

Thanx bro. I have some r-ala on the way. But I bet a lot of people including myself were wondering. Great answer, and to the point. Saves me some money.

Peace~ô¿ô~

No problem here is some more info if you feel like reading.

How is R-ALA different from ALA?
    I have to get a little technical here in order to make the terminology meaningful. In chemistry, a compound that has four different groups attached to carbon has a plane of asymmetry. That carbon is designated “chiral”, meaning it has “handedness”. That means that the molecule can exist in two different forms that are non super-imposable mirror images of one another. Put your right palm on the back of your left hand. What do you see? Both hands have five fingers, with the same arrangement relative to the thumb and yet the thumbs point in different directions, so the hands are said to be mirror images of one another. Chiral molecules, like hands have this property. One of these isomeric molecules (called stereoisomers or enantiomers) rotates the plane of light in a machine called a polarimeter to the right and is designated dextro or +. The other isomer rotates the plane of light to the left and is called levo or -. There is another consideration when dealing with chiral molecules that places the four different substituents in order of priority. The priority is determined by convention and establishes what is called the ‘Absolute Configuration’ of the molecule. By starting with the highest priority substituent and moving in a clockwise direction to the second highest, and on to the third and fourth designates the molecule R. If you move in the opposite direction, the absolute configuration is S. Molecules in living systems generally exist in only one form. When the same molecule is synthesized, it consists of equal amounts of both forms. Commercially available alpha Lipoic acid is a synthetic product consisting of two forms, the R+ and S- isomers in equal amounts. As we said, naturally occurring Lipoic acid, the type your body makes and requires contains one form, the R-dextro or + form. This gives R-lipoic acid significantly more potency and efficacy. This is because the body recognizes R-lipoic acid and knows how to properly metabolize it, since all the key enzymes are structured to hold only the R-form of lipoic acid.

Does that mean ALA is no good?
    Remember, alpha lipoic acid is contains 50% of the natural R-form and 50% of the unnatural S-form. Most of the therapeutic value lies in the R-form. That is the reason why people get results when they take an alpha Lipoic acid supplement.

So if I take half the amount of R-ala compared to ALA, I'll get the same results?
    It’s not quite that simple, although until recently researchers thought this was the case. There is new evidence surfacing that the unnatural S-form may actually interfere with the beneficial properties of the R-form. In one study with mice, alpha Lipoic acid at high doses shortened the mean lifespan, but even at low doses, the R- form increased total life-span. So it is best to avoid the S-form altogether in order to achieve maximum benefits.

Pain

great post. I actually followed most of that. Good explaination. I ordered 2 bottles form AF. Im looking forward to trying that. Whats the best way to take it for maximum benefits. This is going to be one of my staple supplements for a while. Ive been very involved in supplements for the last 10 years. Its good to see something new and promising. Its been a while since I got excited about a supplement.

Take 100mg (r-ALA) for every 30-50g of carbs and take it with your meal.

Pain

Yung Wun is offline Member
    bump good info pain
    i was just looking for info on R-ALA

Thread Information