Hard_Body is offline Junior Member

pre workout messing up sleep

Question here regarding pre workouts and its effects while sleeping. I usually train between like 7-9 pm , usually finishing my workouts at like 830 or 9ish, then sleeping at around 1. For the first like 4 hours after waking up I feel groggy and shitty, not tired or fatigued, just groggy [still getting my 8-10 hours], start to feel more alert as i get more meals in though. Usually like 4 hours after my workout and a few hours before it is where i am feeling my best. most focused, relaxed, just good in general. Just trying to figure out if pre workout has been disturbing my sleep. I could try going to gym early but i like the time im at now. I could just be one of those people whose more alert at night. Just ran out of RITUAL but im still going to take a caffeine pill before my session Saturday where Ill be going around 530ish since gym closes at 7. Will see how I feel sunday morning. Keep in mind I am 18 still.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Try not taking the preworkout for a while and see if it makes a difference. Do you take any other supplements, especially nighttime ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    Try not taking the preworkout for a while and see if it makes a difference. Do you take any other supplements, especially nighttime ones?
    Yeah like I said I just ran out of RITUAL, will probably be getting some more for xmas though, but Ill be off pre workout next week so Ill see how I am feeling then. Could just be my body trying to repair it self throughout the day from the heavy training sessions from the nights before but then at night time my body knows its time to train so it automatically gets into training beast mode. Im just on creatine, Some days are different then others though, I usually feel pretty dead the day after a heavy dead lift session though, but thats probably normal. woke up feeling like shit Tuesday, Monday was the dead lift day. will report back tomorrow, hit legs a few hours ago.
    Last edited by Hard_Body; 12-11-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard_Body View Post
    Yeah like I said I just ran out of RITUAL, will probably be getting some more for xmas though, but Ill be off pre workout next week so Ill see how I am feeling then. Could just be my body trying to repair it self throughout the day from the heavy training sessions from the nights before but then at night time my body knows its time to train so it automatically gets into training beast mode. Im just on creatine, Some days are different then others though, I usually feel pretty dead the day after a heavy dead lift session though, but thats probably normal. woke up feeling like shit Tuesday, Monday was the dead lift day. will report back tomorrow, hit legs a few hours ago.
    How long have you taken a preworkout?

Quote Originally Posted by AllKindsOGains View Post
    How long have you taken a preworkout?
    always but i took like a week break maby a month ago, idk if its the pre workout. I woke up at like 730 today feeling really good and energized,testosterone must have been peaking then, which is like 3-4 hours before i Normally wake up, but was hungry as i woke up, so this was probably the contributing factor to me waking up at such an unusual time, hit legs the previous night as well so my body was probably craving food, so i ate, Then I went back to sleep and woke up at like 1230, so in total like 10 hours of sleep, didnt feel my best after waking up then but felt better after I got another meal in ,730-1230 is like 4 hours without eating which is long for me,. 2:45 right now and i feel solid. ate 3rd meal at 230.

always but i took like a week break maby a month ago, idk if its the pre workout. I woke up at like 730 today feeling really good and energized,testosterone must have been peaking then, which is like 3-4 hours before i Normally wake up, but was hungry as i woke up, so this was probably the contributing factor to me waking up at such an unusual time, hit legs the previous night as well so my body was probably craving food, so i ate, Then I went back to sleep and woke up at like 1230, so in total like 10 hours of sleep, didnt feel my best after waking up then but felt better after I got another meal in ,730-1230 is like 4 hours without eating which is long for me,. 2:45 right now and i feel solid. ate 3rd meal at 230.
    Are you going to bed and waking up at the same time every day? Your body has a circadian rhythm and if you fuk with that you're always going to feel that way. For example I work a grave shift so on my days off when I flip my schedule around to have a normal life (sleep at different times) I feel like shiit half the time. Don't take you're preworkout 4 hours before sleeping, and try going to sleep and waking up within a half hour of the same times each day.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Question here regarding pre workouts and its effects while sleeping. I usually train between like 7-9 pm , usually finishing my workouts at like 830 or 9ish, then sleeping at around 1. For the first like 4 hours after waking up I feel groggy and shitty, not tired or fatigued, just groggy [still getting my 8-10 hours], start to feel more alert as i get more meals in though. Usually like 4 hours after my workout and a few hours before it is where i am feeling my best. most focused, relaxed, just good in general. Just trying to figure out if pre workout has been disturbing my sleep. I could try going to gym early but i like the time im at now. I could just be one of those people whose more alert at night. Just ran out of RITUAL but im still going to take a caffeine pill before my session Saturday where Ill be going around 530ish since gym closes at 7. Will see how I feel sunday morning. Keep in mind I am 18 still.
    which is why I don't take PWO stims. drop the PWO, really no need for it anyways. if you are prone to gym fatigue, then eat a banana or two prior to walking into the gym.

go to Costco and buy some melatonin. cheap. effective. helps with sleep.

Good luck

---Roman

Yeah still wondering if the pre workouts are causing this, could just be morning fatigue due to the workouts the night before since i train around 730-8om and usually leave the gym after 9 or 930 , yes i do usually sleep at the same time, id say I usually fall asleep at 130 and I just wake up whenever my body does which is usually around 11, since I am in college, only one 8am class but I have a month off right now. Will be off pre workouts next week, took last night off and woke up feeling good this morning, I am just going to take a caffeine pill before today's workout at 530 and see how i feel tomorrow.

Yeah still wondering if the pre workouts are causing this, could just be morning fatigue due to the workouts the night before since i train around 730-8om and usually leave the gym after 9 or 930 , yes i do usually sleep at the same time, id say I usually fall asleep at 130 and I just wake up whenever my body does which is usually around 11, since I am in college, only one 8am class but I have a month off right now. Will be off pre workouts next week, took last night off and woke up feeling good this morning, I am just going to take a caffeine pill before today's workout at 530 and see how i feel tomorrow.
    Let me know how you feel.

Let me know how you feel.
    Yeah I just woke up now and feel pretty good, not groggy, just had a cup of coffee and half a caffeine pill last night, didnt feel like it hit me as hard in the gym though, mental focus wasnt there lik it usually was but i still beat my numbers last week which is what matters, will see how I am feeling tomorrow morning

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I would bet it is your pre workout. Most have caffeine along with other stimulants that could keep up awake.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIN View Post
    I would bet it is your pre workout. Most have caffeine along with other stimulants that could keep up awake.
    I am usually able to fall asleep fine although some nights are harder than others. But yeah i know its not recommended to take it within 4 hours of sleep. Usually finish training around 830-9 and sleep at like 1

Yeah I just woke up now and feel pretty good, not groggy, just had a cup of coffee and half a caffeine pill last night, didnt feel like it hit me as hard in the gym though, mental focus wasnt there lik it usually was but i still beat my numbers last week which is what matters, will see how I am feeling tomorrow morning
    Are you eating a meal before the gym? You should be, but you need to wait at least an hour before taking your caffeine pill afterwards. If you have food in your stomach it will slow the absorption and it won't work as well. It also takes a full hour for the pill to digest, vs a preworkout or other liquid that takes tops half an hour. So if you have a small meal (I have a 200 cal protein bar) at 5, take your pill at 6, hit the gym at 7. I personally have the best results waiting 2 hours before ingesting my caffeine. I still get great benefits from it and I've been on it for a while now (several months twice a day).

Are you eating a meal before the gym? You should be, but you need to wait at least an hour before taking your caffeine pill afterwards. If you have food in your stomach it will slow the absorption and it won't work as well. It also takes a full hour for the pill to digest, vs a preworkout or other liquid that takes tops half an hour. So if you have a small meal (I have a 200 cal protein bar) at 5, take your pill at 6, hit the gym at 7. I personally have the best results waiting 2 hours before ingesting my caffeine. I still get great benefits from it and I've been on it for a while now (several months twice a day).
    Yes I have that situation totally under control, Everything is timed perfectly man, i Never take caffeine within 60 minutes of last meal before workout , I usually train after like 4 meals maby then eat 3 more after i train, I wait up towards 2 hours after my last meal before taking anything, usually take it around 90minutes

Yes I have that situation totally under control, Everything is timed perfectly man, i Never take caffeine within 60 minutes of last meal before workout , I usually train after like 4 meals maby then eat 3 more after i train, I wait up towards 2 hours after my last meal before taking anything, usually take it around 90minutes
    This is all mental masturbation, it really doesn't matter when you take your caffeine or pre-workout as long as you take it while it's still in effect. Personally i only notice a difference if i don't take any caffeine at all and if i take my PWO i'm super focused but it's not much different performance-wise besides the benefits being more focused has.

Sometimes i'll be eating while i drink my coffee then head to the gym 20 mins later, other times i'll eat then have my coffee straight after then head to the gym, other times it's food and coffee then wait half an hour or so then have PWO then head to the gym.

It doesn't really matter, if you notice a specific way that works best for you then by all means do it that way, but worrying about the digestion time of your caffeine and timing it perfectly with your meal and workout is just mental masturbation.

Yeah but lets say I go kill a big buffet then take a pre workout right after,chances are its not going to hit me for awhile because my body will be working on digesting all that food. Pre workout should hit much harder and faster on an empty stomach

Yeah but lets say I go kill a big buffet then take a pre workout right after,chances are its not going to hit me for awhile because my body will be working on digesting all that food. Pre workout should hit much harder and faster on an empty stomach
    Totally agree. Try eating a meal and drinking your preworkout on the side, then taking your pre on an empty stomach. You can feel it working within minutes with the latter, vs halfway through your workout when you had it with food. That's basic digestive science. And in this case it's mastication (chewing), not masturbation. It also says on most bottles of pre to have it on an empty stomach.

We're talking about two extremes here, one being overly full and one being on an empty stomach. I'm referring to real life when you've had a decent sized meal, maybe a couple cups of yoghurt and a protein shake or a protein bar. Drinking your PWO on the side or 10 mins after then heading to the gym makes no significant difference. Being a former drug addict for a while i preferred my PWO on an empty stomach for the fact i could feel it active within minutes, but now i just 'do what i want' ie eat whenever i want, take my PWO and go to the gym whenever i want and it makes no difference on performance or strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    We're talking about two extremes here, one being overly full and one being on an empty stomach. I'm referring to real life when you've had a decent sized meal, maybe a couple cups of yoghurt and a protein shake or a protein bar. Drinking your PWO on the side or 10 mins after then heading to the gym makes no significant difference. Being a former drug addict for a while i preferred my PWO on an empty stomach for the fact i could feel it active within minutes, but now i just 'do what i want' ie eat whenever i want, take my PWO and go to the gym whenever i want and it makes no difference on performance or strength.
    Waiting two hours and then taking your pre is not an extreme. But if this is working for you, then sweet sauce

Cody95 is offline Member
    It's the caffeine... You're taking it too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody95 View Post
    It's the caffeine... You're taking it too late.
    Yeah im up at 3am right now, cant sleep, I dont even have that much energy just cant fall asleep, I slept like 8 hours last night then slept like all morning so that could be why

Cody95 is offline Member

Yeah im up at 3am right now, cant sleep, I dont even have that much energy just cant fall asleep, I slept like 8 hours last night then slept like all morning so that could be why
    I'm pretty positive that's what it is. I believe it takes atleast 5 hours for caffeine to leave your body, depending on the amount. I'm had energy drinks at around 5-6pm before and had insomnia past 2:00am before. So I would advise you to avoid any caffeine before 4:00pm or maybe sooner, and see how it effects you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody95 View Post
    I'm pretty positive that's what it is. I believe it takes atleast 5 hours for caffeine to leave your body, depending on the amount. I'm had energy drinks at around 5-6pm before and had insomnia past 2:00am before. So I would advise you to avoid any caffeine before 4:00pm or maybe sooner, and see how it effects you.
    Yeah the thing is i train late and I don't see the point in training without it and having my performance suffer, I am usually able to fall asleep easily, But I have to admit I have felt a bit better this week off pre workouts,, on caffeine pills this week and still feel good in the gym, but not nearly as good as how i feel on pre workout

Cody95 is offline Member

Yeah the thing is i train late and I don't see the point in training without it and having my performance suffer, I am usually able to fall asleep easily, But I have to admit I have felt a bit better this week off pre workouts,, on caffeine pills this week and still feel good in the gym, but not nearly as good as how i feel on pre workout
    Honestly I would just try to sub all the suppliments in from the pre workout besides the caffeine and don't use the pre workout anymore. I've been off a pre workout for about 4 months now, it was rough for awhile there but now I'm back to normal without it. Also there are many caffeine alternatives out there you could try.

Yeah or I may just limit it to twice a week, before my dead lift and leg days where I really need it

Cody95 is offline Member
    Yeah or I may just limit it to twice a week, before my dead lift and leg days where I really need it
    True, I would do that and see how things change.

Nicky1010 is offline New Member
    I know this is an old thread but thought I would join in a bit.

Try using a stimulant free pre workout. Magnum Opus is a good one that I always use. I used to use PHD Wired, but had the same problem you're having. I'm really touchy to caffein and couldn't sleep for the life of me.

I used opus also. Beta alanine up the asss lol.

Nicky1010 is offline New Member
    I used opus also. Beta alanine up the asss lol.
    Ever find that opus tastes horrible? Very chalky? Or is that just me...lol

Na dude it sucks bawls. I tried both flavors and its like the most artificial berry taste anywhere. Couldnt stand the stuff.

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Just remember caffiene stays in the body around 10 hours. So plan pre workout accordingly.

testluva is offline Associate Member
    Take a pre work out without a stimulant when training late. Yes there a good one out there called EVP from Evogen.

Yeah i took about 2 weeks off it then re stocked at xmas and am limiting it to twice a week. I think my body just needed a break from it since i was taking it weekly for months without any real layoff period, I have not had much trouble sleeping lately but I have been sleeping later times.

tsarrast is offline New Member
    i've had same thing - best to workout earlier in day... like after 1 meal only (a lot of people do after meal 2 or 3, then i think PREW can interfere with sleep)

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    I cut my dose a little and took it 45min earlier.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

naxxy is offline New Member
    Try some various things like taking it with a meal, swapping PWO, staying well hydrated, taking a new PWO without caffeine, etc.

Good luck to you

Yeah, just started back at college, had to get up before 7 on Tuesday and Wednesday, trained around 8ish Monday and Tuesday night and i must have laid in bed well over an hour trying to fall asleep, I took PWO both nights so this is most likely the stimulants keeping me up but also when i was off school i was going to bed well after 2am and on monday and Tuesday I was in bed at like 1 maby, so it could also be my body trying to get into a new routine however i am off today through Sunday, might just cut out the pre workout on school night or something, but even last night which was a rest day for me It still took me a decent amount of time to fall asleep and I tried sleeping earlier so like I said it could just be trying to adjust to a new sleeping routine, Tuesday and Wednesday I got less then 5 hours of sleep which is about half of the amount of sleep I was getting while I was off, Had to leave the gym on Tuesday because I had no intensity.

alexgee is offline New Member
    Stopped taking pre workout and drinking coffee about a week ago and my sleep has been way better. Although caffeine withdrawal is extremely irritating

nes
    nes is offline New Member
    I had the same problem and found one solution that's maybe not the one you will love the most : don't take any if you train that late.

Now I take 400mg of caffeine in the AM, and start lowering my carb intake around 2pm-3pm ( except my pw shake that includes a good quantity ) .

Works pretty well and I sleep good !

Oh and I forgot, drink A LOT of water, helped me too

94ss is offline New Member
    Muscle Pharm_Arnold Series_Iron dream

Thread Information