Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    rnsplg's Avatar
    rnsplg is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    989

    Electrolyte ratio + does this seem legit?

    Most electrolyte products seem to have a different ratio of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sometimes chloride or something else too. I was wondering if there's any research on what ratio has proven to be best? I remember reading coconut water works very well and that is dominantly potassium (10-20x more than the rest).

    Also do you guys think this stuff is any good?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potassium-c...ssium+chloride
    Much cheaper than supplement brands potassium but why would it not be what it is...

  2. #2
    Clove1234 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Gains factory
    Posts
    339
    I would personally stay away from coconut water, I don’t like to drink my carbs

  3. #3
    Ephemeral is online now New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rnsplg View Post
    Most electrolyte products seem to have a different ratio of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sometimes chloride or something else too. I was wondering if there's any research on what ratio has proven to be best? I remember reading coconut water works very well and that is dominantly potassium (10-20x more than the rest).

    Also do you guys think this stuff is any good?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potassium-c...ssium+chloride
    Much cheaper than supplement brands potassium but why would it not be what it is...
    I don't go with ratios, but instead I guess how much I need from each a day, and if my food doesn't cover it, I take the difference in supplements. That potassium product seems to be good, but I don't think most ppl need to take extra potassium unless their diet sux.

  4. #4
    rnsplg's Avatar
    rnsplg is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by Clove1234 View Post
    I would personally stay away from coconut water, I don’t like to drink my carbs
    Same here that's why I was just looking at the ratios of minerals from it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeral View Post
    I don't go with ratios, but instead I guess how much I need from each a day, and if my food doesn't cover it, I take the difference in supplements. That potassium product seems to be good, but I don't think most ppl need to take extra potassium unless their diet sux.
    I get several times the RDI of pretty much everything, I still get depleted of electrolytes due to how physically active I am, it's evident since when I take these store bought electrolyte effervescent tabs I have no cramping issues during training.

  5. #5
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    325

    Electrolyte ratio + does this seem legit?

    Iíve seen everything ranging from 1:1 (the modern recommended ratio for modern slackasses) to 16:1 potassium to sodium (paleolithic era estimated intakes). The latter is due to most whole foods being pretty low in sodium and high in potassium, and would also explain why salt was such a valuable commodity for most of human history.

    I personally tend to hit around 2:1 p:s (7500:3750) though thereís obviously daily variance.

  6. #6
    rnsplg's Avatar
    rnsplg is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I’ve seen everything ranging from 1:1 (the modern recommended ratio for modern slackasses) to 16:1 potassium to sodium (paleolithic era estimated intakes). The latter is due to most whole foods being pretty low in sodium and high in potassium, and would also explain why salt was such a valuable commodity for most of human history.

    I personally tend to hit around 2:1 p:s (7500:3750) though there’s obviously daily variance.
    I think I do fine with 2-3g sodium per day but even 5g of potassium from foods doesn't seem to do it. I think I'll go with potassium powder and try 2-3g pre workout and increase if it doesn't help.

    Any opinions on whether to go for potassium chloride or gluconate? Too much chlorine will just keep my insides clean right? :P

  7. #7
    Gallowmere's Avatar
    Gallowmere is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by rnsplg View Post
    I think I do fine with 2-3g sodium per day but even 5g of potassium from foods doesn't seem to do it. I think I'll go with potassium powder and try 2-3g pre workout and increase if it doesn't help.

    Any opinions on whether to go for potassium chloride or gluconate? Too much chlorine will just keep my insides clean right? :P
    I just use potassium chloride, when needed, though thatís rare for me. I have days where Iíll go well over 8500 mg just from food. Since it wasnít required on labels until this past year, there are a lot of foods with very high potassium to sodium ratios that most people wouldnít think of (beef, salmon, carrots, pumpkin, etc.).

    Amusingly enough, the food often thought of as a great potassium source (bananas) isnít really all that hot from a potassium to calorie ratio stance. 89 kcals of banana is about 350mg of potassium. 89 kcals of carrots? About 700mg.

  8. #8
    rnsplg's Avatar
    rnsplg is online now Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallowmere View Post
    I just use potassium chloride, when needed, though that’s rare for me. I have days where I’ll go well over 8500 mg just from food. Since it wasn’t required on labels until this past year, there are a lot of foods with very high potassium to sodium ratios that most people wouldn’t think of (beef, salmon, carrots, pumpkin, etc.).

    Amusingly enough, the food often thought of as a great potassium source (bananas) isn’t really all that hot from a potassium to calorie ratio stance. 89 kcals of banana is about 350mg of potassium. 89 kcals of carrots? About 700mg.
    Yeah too much carbs in the bananas and they don't make you full lol.

    In my last anadrol cycle I had some very serious sides regarding excessive pump and cramping. First set went great beat the book by a lot then the rest got ruined. I'm guessing it was too powerful in drawing in nutrients and minerals into the muscle cells (just assuming here) so I need to find solutions for next time I run an oral and even for every day use as I am prone to cramping. Doesn't help having physically demanding work hehe.

  9. #9
    Clove1234 is online now Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Gains factory
    Posts
    339
    Pickle juice for the win. I drink that stuff all the time. Never have problems with cramps

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •