EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Lightbulb Glutamine Basics

Here's a little something I found that might help answer some recent questions:

What is Glutamine supposed to do?

Glutamine regulates protein synthesis, along with inhibiting protein degradation and stimulating glycogen synthesis. Due to these effects, glutamine plays an important part in your body by aiding recovery of muscle calls. Intense weight training (inducing a catabolic state) has been shown to uniformly decrease glutamine levels by 50%, taking several hours to return to normal levels. In athletes, glutamine has been used as a marker to overtraining. In this condition research shows glutamine levels are significantly reduced, taking up to one month to return to baseline. These athletes have increased susceptibility to infection, resulting from impaired immune functions. For these reasons, athletes have been supplementing their diet with significant amounts of glutamine. In addition, glutamine has an important cell volumizing effect, which is to trigger a growth promoting effect. Glutamine is also a nitrogen transporter, helps in the correction of acidosis, preserves blood pH, and stimulates the immune system.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    What are we supposed to do.....thank you????

Punk!!!

LOL!
    There were so many newbie glutamine questions when I posted this, so it needed to be done. You're the first reply, I'll send you the prize!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Yee haaa!!!!

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    good post, i'll give the big B-U-M-P

Kingnut is offline Junior Member

Another newbie question

What are the doses taken for this stuff?? On roids? Thanx, Nut

primodonna is offline Female Member
    5g in a.m.
    10g post-workout
    5g before bed

this is what i do...last time it was asked, the majority of the people answered basically the same way
    What happens here, stays here

Sounds good to me. Sometimes I workout at night, so I take 10g post workout and 5g in the morning.

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i usually go 10g in the morn, 10 after workout, and 5 at night.

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    No side effect? Does is slow down your glutamine production in long term as creatine can do?

Medicine Man is offline Associate Member
    i have a friend who has done a lot of research with glut... basically he says that you should take 15g before bed because during sleep you are "building" ... glut helps to hault catabolism in your body while regenerating muscle. also, when you work out your body loses very esential branched chain aa's and glut... so if you take some in your post workout shake i could see that being beneficial as well. i took his advice and for the past few months have seen significant gains. there are no sides to glutamine it is a natually occuring amino acid. it plays many roles in your body's biochemistry, like vitamins it is essential you get this aa to help build muscle quicker.
    my friend did research on rats - gave then glut at various times, subjected them to various diets and working out, some even subjected to starvation.... he concluds at night your body uses glut the most. good luck choosing.
    MM

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    Thanx man. Ill have to try it.

firedup is offline Junior Member

glut

a couple of weeks ago there was a post stating that glut and protein compete for absorbtion? did your friend mention anything about that?

Medicine Man is offline Associate Member
    I actually know the answer to that. They dont!
    Glut and protein do completely different things. Actually, muscle protein is MADE of glutamine in our bodies. So during muscle synthesis our body calls on the food we eat for the glut so that they can build. The philosophy goes the less glut we have the longer it takes to build muscle!
    I will tell you this however, different types of proteins have different absorption rates in our bodies. And to help increase this number take a few grams of ginger a day. ALSO, dont buy cheap protein. It is cheap because its absorption rate in our body is really low (ie you get stomach pains). Get good protein like myoplex, metrx, or isopure.
    bottom line - glut is an Amino Acid that is needed to help repair muscle tissue (along with glycine, alanine, valine, leucine, and isoleucine). protein is the backbone to this synthesis but BOTH are need for optimal growth!
    MM

firedup is offline Junior Member

Thanks..but why ginger?

what does ginger do to help with absorption.?

thanks again

BUMP

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    dam u guys are talking about 25 g in one day. the shit i just bought is only 1000mg per serving with 50 tabs. so it would last me 2 days if i take those doses......

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    Good post, I think that info would go great in the new supplement Q&A cause there are a ton of questions about glute.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Glutamine is an amino acid, a building block of protien. All of the advice I've heard suggests against taking aminos (Creatine, Glutamine) with a protein meal/shake as they compete for absorption.

MM could you give us some examples of "cheap" protien?

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Glutamine is an amino acid, a building block of protien. All of the advice I've heard suggests against taking aminos (Creatine, Glutamine) with a protein meal/shake as they compete for absorption.

MM could you give us some examples of "cheap" protien?
    yeah, i'd like to know what a cheap protein is also. i right now, i drink about 5 protein shakes a day which consist of EAS simply whey protein.

thanks,
    -- clocky baby

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    I've read the amount of glutamine your body gets when taken orally is very low. A lot of the claims supplement companies make are based on research testing glutamine delivered via IV.

Hero is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firedup
    what does ginger do to help with absorption.?

thanks again

Ginger is used to settle upset stomachs and help with things like sea sickness. My guess is ginger makes your stomach less acidic after a workout so that you can take it in better. Sipping on alka-seltzer during a workout is good at keeping your stomach calm especially during leg day.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    These old threads are killing me.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    These old threads are killing me.
    who cares if they are old, its sparks good new questions and discussion. i aint fucking blind, i see that they are old also, but these old topics are just being viewed by newer members (like me) and in turn, are causing me to be curious about things.

-- clocky baby

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    The majority of glutamine research focused on it's effects on the critically ill and burn patients. So, IV administration is most certainly correct. The problem with oral glutamine administration is that glutamine is a major metabolic fuel for the small intestine. Also, high doses of glutamine have been shown to be absorbed by the kidneys. The result being that little glutamine ingested actually reaches the muscles. So, I would say taking small doses throughout the day would be most efficient as to avoid absorption by the kidneys. Also, for those on a ketogenic diet, glutamine inhibits ketogenesis in the liver. The end result being that ketosis may be difficult to achieve while consuming sufficient quantities of glutamine.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Hey Khull dont buy the damn pills get the powder. You'll save a lot of money. For like 39$ you can get 700 servings of Glut. 5 grams=1 serving=1 teaspoon. vs 1 gram pills? shit thats 5 pills for 1 teaspoon.

TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Hey Khull dont buy the damn pills get the powder. You'll save a lot of money. For like 39$ you can get 700 servings of Glut. 5 grams=1 serving=1 teaspoon. vs 1 gram pills? shit thats 5 pills for 1 teaspoon.
    yea figured that out as soon as i read the average dose for glutamine on this thread.......

dv8
    dv8 is offline Banned
    I think glutamine is B.S. took if for 6 months and noticed nothing different. There are also studies to show that glutamine levels have no effects on protein synthesis. IMO, it's just another scam!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    There are also studies that show glutamine has effects on protein synthesis. It is common practice for clinics and hospitals to up your glutamine during and extended stay to help absorbtion and other reasons. It is also an essential amino so that in itself makes it important. And just because you took it for 6 months.... how much? when? what was the rest of your staple diet. It is also similiar to creatine in that it effects cell-volume and also helps joints out. I take multi-vitamin/mineral and dont notice a difference does that mean I shouldnt take them?

Thread Information