Brendan is offline New Member

Question Pre-workout Nutrition

Ok, I'm just a newbie to whole weight lifting thing, and I still dont know much about.

I have a GNC store located near me, and so I was wondering what a good pre-workout nutrition meal is, and actually what it does for you.

Can anything that can be found around the house surfice for one?

Thanks.

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Hint: Stay away from GNC.

Tip: Order online.

Another Tip: www.1fast400.com , www.allsportsnutrition.com.

Last Tip: Those two have been very good sellers to me in the past so I'm gonna continue ordering from them and you should.

BTW: Welcome to the board.

GNC = THE DEVIL

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan
    Ok, I'm just a newbie to whole weight lifting thing, and I still dont know much about.

I have a GNC store located near me, and so I was wondering what a good pre-workout nutrition meal is, and actually what it does for you.

Can anything that can be found around the house surfice for one?

Thanks.
    Just keep in mind, if you decide to get stuff from GNC, their sales people tend to know very little about the products they sell, but they will push the GNC label products. They get paid to be bias.

As far as nutrition is concerned......it really depends on why you're lifting. Also, for the most part, you can do with what's around the house. For example, I sometimes eat a couple steaks right after I work out instead of taking protein suppliments. Steak gives you plenty of protein, all of your aminos and a lot of calories. But steak is a lot more expensive than a suppliment. On the other hand, getting your vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc. from natural sources are of a higher quality and are more easily asimulated by your body.

Most people like to eat something high in carbs (oatmeal) just before they workout so they have the energy to get through the workout. Some people drink a protein suppliment just before they work out, so they have protein in their system while they're working out. So, the best pre-workout nutrition is something that has carbs, for emediate energy and protein to help your muscles recover right away.

Right after the workout, you can take some creatine. And about an hour after you workout, you can take another protein suppliment to help your muscles recover. So, the best post-workout nutrition is something that is high in protein, and amino acids, but avoid empty calories while taking protein. Protein and aminos cause an insulin spike and any empty calories will be stored as fat.

BREASTMAN is offline Associate Member
    Well, regardless of where you buy your stuff, you want something that will help you feel energetic during your workout and give you nutrients you need while training.

Personally, I like to train on a pre-workout meal of whey protein and a scoop of natural peanut butter or almonds. Whey is a fast acting protein that will give you amino acids while training, and PB/almonds is a healthy fat source that keeps my stomach comfortable and gives me energy.

I consume this meal about 30-45 min before training. I use VPX Zero Carb Protein as my whey source.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I just have a small protein shake or bar with 5grams of creatine before I train. A quick 15-20gr of protien sure pumps me up, and I don't feel bloated for the workout.

2 quick tips:
    1: Stay away from GNC, the're evil, and know nothing.
    2: Refer to tip 1

dangit is offline Member
    Yeah, GNC is over priced for sure.

I just eat a baked potatoe or two and some tuna mixed in with it about an hour before I workout. Sometimes I take a protein shake to the gym with me and sip on that too while working out.

Don't have any simple carbs just before a workout. It might give you a quick boost, but it'll screw you over after about 5 mins into the workout. A meal with complex carbs in it is a great pre workout meal.

Also, have a protein drink with tons of simple carbs in it imediatly after your workout. This is very important for recuperation.

Thanks.

I laughed at all the Anti-GNC comments.

I've been in there a few times to buy some protein mix. I use the Optimun Nutrition brand. They did try and sell me the GNC brand, but I told them I heard it didnt mix well, it was low in quality and I heard from a friend that Optimun Nutrition is better.

And yeah, they dont seem to be highly educated in what their trying to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan
    Thanks.

I laughed at all the Anti-GNC comments.

I've been in there a few times to buy some protein mix. I use the Optimun Nutrition brand. They did try and sell me the GNC brand, but I told them I heard it didnt mix well, it was low in quality and I heard from a friend that Optimun Nutrition is better.

And yeah, they dont seem to be highly educated in what their trying to sell.
    Look up GNC on the search and you'll see a story about an Former GNC employee and how they make commission on certain products each month.

ANDDDDDD YOU CAN USE YOUR GOLD CARD ANYTIME OF THE MONTH! DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! "First week of the month". Bullshit. I went in the other day said it to the manager he said I was wrong. I proceeded to cuss him out and explain how I am certain you can use it all month long since I've talked to GNC employees. He appolgized and took my card for some Omega-3 Pills and box of Detour bars.

I love making GNC employee's feel dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Calipso
    Look up GNC on the search and you'll see a story about an Former GNC employee and how they make commission on certain products each month.

ANDDDDDD YOU CAN USE YOUR GOLD CARD ANYTIME OF THE MONTH! DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM! "First week of the month". Bullshit. I went in the other day said it to the manager he said I was wrong. I proceeded to cuss him out and explain how I am certain you can use it all month long since I've talked to GNC employees. He appolgized and took my card for some Omega-3 Pills and box of Detour bars.

I love making GNC employee's feel dumb.
    Yeah, I remember when I got my Gold Card they said first week of the month as well.

but I went in a while ago and said, "I can use my gold card right?" and the guy said, "ah... yah, its you can pretty much use it anytime,"

Uh huh.

Their employees just dont seem too bright.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    If you're in Canada...it will cost you an arm and a leg in shipping to order from the states.

Check your PM...I know of an awesome place.
    Last edited by Money Boss Hustla; 09-16-2003 at 02:31 AM.

BREASTMAN is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangit
    Yeah, GNC is over priced for sure.

I just eat a baked potatoe or two and some tuna mixed in with it about an hour before I workout. Sometimes I take a protein shake to the gym with me and sip on that too while working out.

Don't have any simple carbs just before a workout. It might give you a quick boost, but it'll screw you over after about 5 mins into the workout. A meal with complex carbs in it is a great pre workout meal.

Also, have a protein drink with tons of simple carbs in it imediatly after your workout. This is very important for recuperation.
    Hey dangit...if your avatar is a real pic of you, I'd like to compliment you on a truly awesome physique!

Thread Information