Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member

Dont shop at GNC EVER!!!

I worked there for a year and ill tell you some things i bet you dont know.

1. They dont train the employees, you have to do your own research on suppliments. Most of the people there make everything up, believe me i know. I once saw a lady sell a bottle of some bogus GNC brand carbo drink and she said almost every professional athlete uses that one. I pulled the guy aside and told him what they really use.

2. They work on comission and each month you get more commission on certain products (if you sell liquid creatine you get like 4 dollars for a bottle), so if you go in GNC and ask what is a great creatine i bet you 99.9% of the time they say liquid creatine.

3. They have a price match button on the register menu and if you call or ask they are suppose to match prices but they will never advertise that.

4. We are suppose to ask at least 7 (literally) questions to every customer so we get more commission.
    A. Do you have a GNC gold card?
    B. Are you taking a multivitamin?
    C. If you buy one the second it is half off.
    D. Would you like to try a free sample?
    E. Hi my name is ___ are you finding everything ok?
    (I forgot the other 2)

5. They send in mystery shoppers in the store and if you dont push GNC suppliments you get written up.

6. They are allowed to give you your "Gold Card Discount" any day of the week, but they say they can only do it the first week of the month.

7. THey HAVE to take back anything you buy. Its on the return policy. You could buy something and use 3/4 of it and say it didnt work and they HAVE to take it back. You could also buy stuff from vitamin shoppe and retuen it there. LOL.

8. When you work there you get a 30% discount. That means an employee at GNC buys suppliments for the same price anyone else does at vitamin shoppe and anabolicreview.com

Tell me what you think about this sh*t.

NickRizz

and i forgot to mention their suppliments suck. They are rediculously overpriced and everywhere else you go they are 30% cheaper than GNC. THeir weight gainer is like $50 and has something like 6 servings in it. THey taste horrible too.

LORDBLiTZ Guest
    Gold card discount sucks!! I use five finger discount and it's much better.

it doesnt make sence, you have to buy a card to get 20% off, and you can only use the card when they tell you. Have you ever heard anything like that before? shop at allsports, a real company!

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    it doesnt make sence, you have to buy a card to get 20% off, and you can only use the card when they tell you. Have you ever heard anything like that before? shop at allsports, a real company!
    Damn bro, I like you, you should come work for us.

I knew some of the things that happened there, but some of that is new to me.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I am so glad you posted this thread.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

mfenske is offline Member
    I worked there for a while and I really liked it. It was a great way to make some money. Pushing certain items is what sales is all about. I averaged like $15 per hour most of the time. You are right that most don't know what they are talking about, but you get that anywhere you shop. That's why you have to do your homework before you shop. Other than that most GNC customers are newbies anyhow so asking if they take a multi vitamin, or have a gold card, etc. is just good practice. As far as secret shoppers go, if you are doing your job right and can sell then don't worry. I would think that making more comissions would be a good thing. I guess once a salesman, always a salesman. Mark

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    hell when I go into a GNC I end up answering the clerk's questions...i get my flax and bars on emergency there...otherwise i'm all about allsports now!!!

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    all sports is the way to go...

I piss on GNC's gold steps!!

I rather be without a supplements for 3 business day and order online. IMO there is no emergency excuse for stepping a foot or spending a penny in that joint.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

kc
    abstrack...haven't needed to since i found out i can get shipped pretty much anything within 3 days....the last online distributers i used had a 10 day minimum for delivery....emergency protein or bars happed frequently

gotta hand it to ya'll at allsports, got my loyalty after my first order...just bummed i didn't get my shakers

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    kc, well I got a hook up with Jason and he sent them to me instead.

kc
    :O shoulda figgerd!!!! dammit man, of all people you should feel my pain of shakin up a shake and chuggin it over the sink

I just dont understand how every other store sells supps for 20-30% off retail and GNC sells them for retail and over and people still shop there.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    damn. i feel like a dumbass. i never go in there and ask them about stuff though. I am in and out, i know exactly what i'm looking for.

I just dont understand how every other store sells supps for 20-30% off retail and GNC sells them for retail and over and people still shop there.
    that shit gets me to bro
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I notice we have a lot in common abstrack, you wouldnt happen to be from jersey would ya? lol

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I will admit I laughed when I saw this post because I just shopped there today which is AGAINST my GOLDEN RULE of NEVER shop there. BUT we were all at the mall and I really needed some creatine and milk thistle. I actually did ask for that discount and got it. He didnt ask me any of those questions because he knew I was there for only those things. I knew my way around better than he did. I had to tell him where the milk thistle was to get it for me. That store is too funny. Like I said, I didnt wanna wait two weeks for ASN. Sorry. But I did order my regular stuff before I came here. LATER guys

someday is offline Member

seriously

So if i take back that shitty half empty bottle of NO2 that didn't do squat i can get my $$ back? Say it aint so...
    Last edited by someday; 07-10-2003 at 11:26 PM.

fyerstarter is offline New Member
    GNC caters to fitness newbies. They recently started "working out" and are now looking for a "quick fix" in the form of the latest "miracle supplement". Within 3 months they will have quit like most people starting a new exercise routine and the half eaten bottle of NLarge will sit abandoned on top of their fridge. That's ok because a continuous stream of wannabes inspired by the latest informercial, diet craze, exercise gadget, or workout video will quickly replace them.

From a business perspective this is genius! and explains why GNC is so successful. In every field there are the people who know and do (usually the top 20%) and the people who envy them (the remaining 80%). It's smart business to cater to the 80% who are ignorant and impressionable rather than the discerning 20%. Not only are they the majority but they are more likely to spend more money based on the "advice" that you provide.

I personally cannot stand GNC because of the constant pestering. Within 5 seconds of walking in I have some oaf breathing on my shoulder asking 20 questions (or at least 7) I used to drop in there to buy my multivitamins but now I just get some Walmart cheapies. At least the cashier isn't trying to sell me some extract from Peruvian bulls balls or something
    Last edited by fyerstarter; 07-11-2003 at 12:50 AM.

markas214 is offline Senior Member
    I will go to GNC rarely because it is convenient. Otherwise I buy online. As far as how they treat their employees, that seems to be the norm with most companies. They see employees as an expense not as human beings.

fyerstarter you couldnt have said it better.

markas214 you are right (but they are the worst) my boss told me i should come in at 7:45 to get the store ready to open and i shouldnt get paid for that, and i should stay 15 minutes after close and not get paid for that either.

someday if you have your recept they have to give you your money back (make up something like it made you have constant constipation or something, thats if they even ask). Without your recept tell them you will take a store credit and buy something else or sell it on ebay.
    I once had a guy come in and every month he would buy TRAC and return it and they rebuy it. LOL.
    Keep these great "i hate GNC" posts going.

man, im glad i found this post. Guess whose got 80 dollars back in thier hand. Hell....it might be time for a steak.

did they give you your money back?

Yah they did, and I even yelled at thier store manager about lieing to me about the use of the gold member card. I bought some protien in there about the same time I bought the NO2 and they told that they couldn't give me the discount. It was great, i got an apology, my money back for the NO2 and a couple free detour bars. I think i also managed to scare away a couple of other customers in there while i was ranting. It was great.

Just call me mr AntiGNC

Valmont is offline Banned
    Just call me mr AntiGNC
    I think that Gnc is a great place to .....scam.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LORDBLiTZ
    Gold card discount sucks!! I use five finger discount and it's much better.
    I'm not surprised.

LOLol

Archangel230 is offline Junior Member
    Actually, GNC isn't doing that hot according to accounting records (don't ask me how I know ) but IMO 90% of the products that franchise sells are just overpriced garbage. The rest are just overpriced.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Burn all GNC's

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up

allsports is number 1!!!! Best prices! Best service!!!!

I was next door to GNC today and i needed a protein bar and psylum seed husks and i drove 20 miles in other direction so they wouldnt get my money.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    I heart GNC

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    I wasted a lot of $ at GNC before someone knocked some sense into me. I use to use their weight gainer and it didn't work. .......WEIGHT GAINER.... I thought any weight gainer would work, but theirs is crap and thats the only results u get from it (just crap, literally)

All of their stuff is crap

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    pure crap man i bought a tub of GNC protine it was shit didnt tast good didnt work good. I got some optimum and now things are good

they try to compare their 100% whey to optimums protein and it doesnt even come close. THen they sell their MEGA whey which is only 2 servings of 100% whey. THey are a horrible company.

ColdSore is offline Banned
    haha...im just waiting for GNCGUY to step in here...i remember he got in a heated argument a few weeks ago over this...where are ya???

Oh and fuck GNC, fuck NO2, and fuck the gold card.

FrkyBgStok is offline Senior Member
    hey now, that gold card saves ou A LOT of money....fuckers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information