Slugger is offline Junior Member

Supps for soreness

What are some good supps for soreness?

Right now I'm taking multivitamin, glucosamine, glutamine, protein shakes, BCAA's, and creatine.

Anything else I should be taking?

cb25 is offline Banned
    Sounds like you've got it more than covered...

If you're having trouble with soreness try massage, soak in a hot tub or sit in the sauana after a workout...make sure you're stretching before and after workouts...

at this point i'm stretching for ideas...maybe get some ben-gay?

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Bananas. The potassium helps with the lactic acid...

Calipso is offline Banned Post Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999
    Bananas. The potassium helps with the lactic acid...
    Damn right, banana with a protein shake after every workout.

rs1000 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    What are some good supps for soreness?

Right now I'm taking multivitamin, glucosamine, glutamine, protein shakes, BCAA's, and creatine.

Anything else I should be taking?
    I assume you're excluding the prohormones and 1-test products?

One of the only non-hormone-related substances which has been proven to shorten recovery time and soreness is acetyl-l-carnitine. And the only cheap place to get it as of last time I checked is at beyond-a-century.com, for powder. 1 to 1.5 grams twice a day mixed with water, on an empty stomach. Synergistic effect combined with R-ALA at about 350mg every twelve hours.

I'd also add chromium 'polynicotinate' (not chromium picolinate) in divided dosages for about an 800 mcg daily total. Just a general supplement program 'may' be of benefit.

And, non-impact, low strain extended aerobic exercise, perhaps up to 45 minutes a day. Something like an exercise bike with wind resistance and moveable arms? Why? Because it gets your heart rate up without stressing your body in the slightest. It basically delivers oxygenated blood throughout the body to help speed repair and speed up disposal of lactic acid and removal of water.

Sports physicians give professional athletes electronic stimulus devices to increase oxygenated blood supply to injured areas to speed recovery. Extended aerobic exercise which is non-impact and low stress will do the same thing, except to the whole body.

However, hi-impact exercises like jogging or even an exercise bike with the resistance turned up may increase stress, rather than alleviating it.

Someone mentioned protein shakes. Problem is, the body can only process a certain amount of protein at once no matter what. When excess is consumed at one sitting, it simply ends up being excreted in the urine (which isn't good for the kidneys.) And before it gets excreted, it may leach certain minerals like calcium from the system, decrease blood and tissue pH, and possibly have other undesirable effects.

The correct way to ingest protein is to only get controlled amounts throughout the day (but by the end of the day it might add up to a lot). The body has no mechanism for storing protein, which is the reason why you will do yourself only harm by taking a massive dose of protein.

Well-known biochemist Barry Sears gives the basic guideline on how much protein to consume at one sitting: an amount of protein about the size and thickness of the palm of your hand (think of a piece of chicken breast.) From there, consume this amount of protein about every three hours, but never double up, because protein beyond this amount will be wasted.

The quality of the protein may have some influence. Wild sockeye salmon is believed to be the most complete source of protein known.

BTW, red meat like beef and pork contains a pro-inflammatory chemical called arachadonic acid, which certainly doesn't help with sore muscles (some believe it can make sore muscles worse). Better is low mercury fish like salmon, or poultry.

Hope this helps.

Thread Information