Slugger is offline Junior Member

Banannas in protein shake?

Do any of you guys blend a bananna in your protein shake? I heard the potassium in a bananna is good for muscle recovery after lifting. Also, how much protein is in one bananna? Would mixing one bananna in my shake daily be beneficial?

cb25 is offline Banned
    mmmmm bananas....

i used to blend one up in my MRP's. there's no protein in it tho...all simple carbs and potassium...

murph is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Do any of you guys blend a bananna in your protein shake? I heard the potassium in a bananna is good for muscle recovery after lifting. Also, how much protein is in one bananna? Would mixing one bananna in my shake daily be beneficial?

i think its a good thing to get the simple carbs right after a workout, so a banana in that shake is good (IMO), but i dont use them in my shakes other times. I use strawberries NON-FAT yogurt (the kind of yogurt i use has only 6 grams of sugar) later in the day and such, things with little less sugar...

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    Bananas don't have enough protein to be considered for a source of protein in your diet. But as murph said a banana would be great for an after workout shake, or just a healthy snack between meals.

Go Time is offline Associate Member
    Very good post workout source of carboydrates due to its potassium content and high glycemic value. Mix it in with protein post workout like everybody else said and you are good to go.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    pws should not have any fructose in it...substitute with some dex instead.

ToolMaster is offline New Member
    The potassium in a banana is good to reduce the lactic acid buildup and supposed to help with soreness

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Mix everything you can get ahold of in your shake if you are trying to bulk.
    Mix milk, ice cream, eggs, fruit, grain, wheat germ, etc.
    It all makes it taste better and its easy to drink when you arent hungry. All that stuff will add about 300 calories to your shake.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolMaster
    The potassium in a banana is good to reduce the lactic acid buildup and supposed to help with soreness
    I've heard this about postassium as well (not sold yet, but interested)...but for pwo shakes you'd want dextrose/maltodextrin - not fructose (fruit sugars). Fructose will replenish liver glycogen, but not muscle glycogen effeciently.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Banana's, Papyas, Pineapple - all contain FOS which is essential to creating a postive environment for the formation of digestive enzymes. Which helps your body utilize food sources - especially proteins.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Banana's, Papyas, Pineapple - all contain FOS which is essential to creating a postive environment for the formation of digestive enzymes. Which helps your body utilize food sources - especially proteins.
    Right...i've heard about FOS and the digestive enzymes etc...are you recommending that one of these should be tossed in PWO though? Or just a good idea to add throughout the rest of the day? I've always said the latter...

mass junkie is offline banned
    Yes sir I put a banana and some natty peanut butter in my isopure

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    Yes sir I put a banana and some natty peanut butter in my isopure
    Gotta admit...definitely makes the best MRP, in my humble opinion

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    Right...i've heard about FOS and the digestive enzymes etc...are you recommending that one of these should be tossed in PWO though? Or just a good idea to add throughout the rest of the day? I've always said the latter...
    Sure - post workout would be a good time. Especially if stomach PH levels were to get too acidic during training... since that would cause the breakdown of digestive enzymes. And this is frequently the case, especially with frequent/intense training sessions. But yeah - I agree about the fructose - but adding Banana's, Papayas, Pineapple, as well as yogurt to the mix can help the body utilize food better by helping to create a better environment in the digestive track.

Thread Information