JEO3 is offline Associate Member

Too much protein

If i eat a meal with 35g of protein in it, does it make sense to drink a protein shake? I've heard that you can only absorb 40 grams per meal. If that's true, how long do you wait till you should eat more protein?

Anyone??

BREASTMAN is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEO3
    If i eat a meal with 35g of protein in it, does it make sense to drink a protein shake? I've heard that you can only absorb 40 grams per meal. If that's true, how long do you wait till you should eat more protein?
    Well, how much you can absorb at one time depends on may factors, but there is no "40 g" rule. Generally, we can go higher, like between 50-60 g per meal, but the question is..."do YOU need that much?"

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Holy shit....that's the amount you can absorb?? At about 7 at night, I'll eat a can of tuna (34g) and 16oz of milk mixed with two scoops hydro-whey(62g)...so I'm looking at 96 grams for that meal! Am I wasting my time.??

Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    Holy shit....that's the amount you can absorb?? At about 7 at night, I'll eat a can of tuna (34g) and 16oz of milk mixed with two scoops hydro-whey(62g)...so I'm looking at 96 grams for that meal! Am I wasting my time.??
    Exactly, that's what i'm wondering...I try to get around 50g per meal or so just to be safe because i heard the 40g rule, but what i am wondering about is how long to wait until you can absorb more?? I have read to double your body weight in grams of protein to grow...That's like 5 meals of 50g each...I weigh 145-150

Quote Originally Posted by Peter North
    Generally an active male can process a protein intake of between 40-60g per setting. Hoss i think 96 is far too much for one meal. Reason being is that your body will convert excess protein into energy just as it does for carbs. your purpose for protein intake is certainly not for energy but rather for muscle repair. Certain factors can alter the amount of protein your body can use: on/off day from workout, use of anabolics, weight, age, among others. For me personally when bulking I try to shoot for 45g Pro and 80g Carb per meal. That split gives me about 270g Pro 480g Carb per day which is just about right in my opinion. PN
    makes sense...so after you consme 45g of pro and 80g of carb, how long do you wait till next meal?? I try to eat every two or three hours...Is that right?

killerpeaks is offline New Member
    for those of you who wine about thinking that they are taking too much protein and that it is a waste check this. protein is the slowest burning energy compared to fat and carbs, so if you are bulking up dont even reconsider large quantities of protein. Your body will feed on it alot longer than it would if you piled down a bunch of carbs. Also, best thing to do is down a bunch of protien before you go to bed, that way your body will be feeding on it while you sleep.

Russ616 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JEO3
    Exactly, that's what i'm wondering...I try to get around 50g per meal or so just to be safe because i heard the 40g rule, but what i am wondering about is how long to wait until you can absorb more?? I have read to double your body weight in grams of protein to grow...That's like 5 meals of 50g each...I weigh 145-150

At that body weight I'd say shoot for 45 grams per serving. Any more and you might be on the bowl.

dred is offline New Member
    Simple rules:

gr of protein you need = 1.7 - 2.2/Kg/BW

example if you are 100Kg then you will need between 170 - 220 gr protein/day. Take 40- 50 gr in one portion if no other protein source is on your table for that meal. The more will become just fat. You have to count the protein you take from your meals and add the left over from your supplement.

Protein will raise your urea and uric acid readings if you don't drink enough water during the day with it.

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    doesn't your body only use so much protein that you put in though. Like your body uses 100% of eggs and like 90% of chicken, or something along those lines. I think it was in Arnolds encyclopedia

lloyd_cannon is offline Associate Member
    yah the conversion factor whey protien is 100% usable eggs where like 90% and i though chicken was around beef lik 60% or something

Thread Information