motoxxxguy is offline Anabolic Member

ALA vs. r-ALA and your thoughts/exp...

Well, I've been reading for a few days about the benefits of ALA supplements, but haven't come to a final conclusion about whether or not I'm going to buy into the idea. I see ALA available nearly everywhere, and the r-ALA is a little harder to find, but it is out there. My question is what is the real difference between the two, other than price, and has anyone used both kinds and noticed a difference between the two? I am always sceptical when it comes to OTC supplements, as people (who sell them) can claim anything they want and not have to back it up.

I also see recommended ALA dosages anywhere from 600mg - 4500mg daily, about half that for r-ALA. Give me some of your opinion and experiences with ALA/r-ALA to help me make up my mind!

-moto

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    took 600mgs of r-ALA during the summer and loved it. The stuff works great. I stuffed my face at every buffet for a week in Vegas and I didn't gain a lb of fat. Its probably even that much better while on and following a strict cardio and diet plan.

And from what I read...ala doesn't even come close to comparing to r-Ala. R-ala being far superior of course.

~US~

Thnks US, that's pretty much what I've been reading. I would much rather eat like a horse while bulking and not get a fat gut!

Actually, if the stuff acts like they say it does, could you get away with eating less? Just a thought...

-moto

FmRommel is offline Member
    Bro...def go with the R-ALA...I also used it this summer and my pumps were great, veins blew up, uped the carbs....great stuff going back for more now!!

FM

What type of dosages and timing are you guys using?

-moto

FmRommel is offline Member
    I was taking about 600 - 800 mgs daily (200mg caps) I would take at least one before and after working out and then whenever a good amount of carbs were consumed in a meal....

FM

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I took a 100mg pill before each meal, usually like 6-7 pills a day. I think the ratio is 100mg pill for every 50g of carbs. Don't quote me on that though.

Also don't skip out on quality. I can personally attest to the difference between brands. Took the ones from the AF store the first time and they worked great. Tried a different brand the second time to save a few bucks and was very dissappointed. Both times following the same diet also.

Appreciate the input bros.

-moto

GonnaBeHuge is offline Junior Member
    Interseting, looks like time to up my R-ALA. I only have bene taking 100 mg a day :P If a guy is just lookin' to bulk up would 600 mg do?

rs1000 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoxxxguy
    Well, I've been reading for a few days about the benefits of ALA supplements, but haven't come to a final conclusion about whether or not I'm going to buy into the idea. I see ALA available nearly everywhere, and the r-ALA is a little harder to find, but it is out there. My question is what is the real difference between the two, other than price, and has anyone used both kinds and noticed a difference between the two? I am always sceptical when it comes to OTC supplements, as people (who sell them) can claim anything they want and not have to back it up.

I also see recommended ALA dosages anywhere from 600mg - 4500mg daily, about half that for r-ALA. Give me some of your opinion and experiences with ALA/r-ALA to help me make up my mind!

-moto
    R(+)-alpha lipoic acid was shown in a study to increase lifespan in a particular strain of rodents by 33% (Tory Hagen, et al.). The study also tested the standard R/S ALA and found that it may actually shorten lifespan a little. This should be enough by itself to suggest that R-ALA is the better of the two, at least until new studies emerge.
    insulin resistance and as a blood sugar lowering agent. The S enantiomer is actually synthetic and man-invented, and does not exist in nature. It seems to interfere with the action of R-ALA, according to studies.

ALCAR (acetyl-l-carnitine), has been shown in two studies to decrease the amount of time it takes muscles to heal after exercise. What's more, it may have general synergistic effects when combined with R-ALA, according to studies done by the well-known biochemist Bruce Ames, and other studies by Tory Hagen, et al. As a side note, a new edition of Reader's Digest has an article about the potential of an ALCAR/ALA combo as an anti-aging pill. (ALCAR should be taken on an empty stomach).

ALA also appears to act synergistically with conjugated linoleic acid in lowering blood sugar, and CLA by itself may aid in fat loss and muscle building. (CLA should also be taken on an empty stomach).

As far as dosages are concerned, I don't think there are any precisely determined best dosages for this substance. I take 350mg of R-ALA every twelve hours. I think this is a reasonable and effective dosage.

ALA may compete with biotin, so a good amount of biotin should also be taken daily if one chooses to supplement with ALA.

Theoretically, ALA might also be helpful when combined with chromium polynicotinate or vanadium sulphate.

Ryan

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Yep, that's a good read. I saw that a while back, and immediately ordered Glucorell ( I was going to anyway ).

longhornDr is offline Member
    ALA makes my urine smell horrible, r-ALA doesn't.

I've been using r-ALA while dieting the past 3 months and have lost 45 lbs and gained strength in all lifts....how much of that is attributable to ALA is anyone's guess.

Thread Information