THORSZ is offline Member
    Blog Entries

Question Protein at Costco?

Anyone try Costco's protein powder? It is 6 pounds of whey for $19. Looks like a good deal.

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I've never tried it because we don't have Costco where I'm from, but I know some of the other guys on the board use it. Whey is whey. Most of it is nearly identical. If I could get that deal I would but it.

ypesm is offline New Member

Costco Protein

Quote Originally Posted by THORSZ
    Anyone try Costco's protein powder? It is 6 pounds of whey for $19. Looks like a good deal.
    I've tried the vanilla, and it's pretty good. You hardly can't beat the price for a 6lb bucket a decent whey for under $20. Plus you get a few extra BCAA's. It tastes great.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    DONT BUY COSTCO PROTEIN!!!

The quality is horrendous. A relative of mine does live blood cell analysis (look it up in google) and found a lot of protein linkage (unidgested protein) in my blood stream. Plus it tastes like some baby formula. I'd rather eat my own vomit.

Buy something of a reputable quality. There's a reason its $20 for 6lbs! And don't say its just cause it's Costco prices... I worked there for 1/2 year and their markup was minimal (5%-20%).

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it the Pro-rated stuff that everyone on here buys?

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    The stuff at the costco near me is something along the lines of "Sports Nutrition..." can't remember, been years since I bought it.

JGK
    JGK is offline Junior Member
    I don't know about everyone else but I've been happy with ON 100% Whey.

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC78
    Yes and no....according the manufacturer Costco gets a lower grade of Pro-Rated protein than the rest of the country gets. I'm assuming it's a special mixed batch because of the amount of protein they buy at one time.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Unfortunately rates for shipping in HI are **** near international, so I can't buy from ASN while I'm here, so yes, I've tried Costco protein. More specifically, Pro-Rated Whey. Yes, it tastes OK, and does the job, but after hearing about the blood stream analysis I don't think I'll be picking it up again.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Do you guys prefer pro-rated or optimum?

neither are very high quality, though optimum is better.

RUDY-14 is offline Associate Member
    Optimum tastes unreal and is a fairly good protein imo.

Farmer is offline Member
    I remember the guy at 1fast400 on bb.com would send away 100gm samples to check purity. Does anyone know if he has done this with the Pro-Rated? IMO you cannot tell if a protein is 'working' or not in a short period of time..I try to get my protein from whole foods so I know what I am getting.

I was kindve curious about that protein because I bought 6 tubs last time..everything seems legit so far..but I won't believe anything till it's on paper.

Peace

Farmer

dangit is offline Member
    ****, that's super cheap though. I'm assuming you guys are talking about Costco in the States. We have Costco in Canada, but I've never seen 6lbs jugs of protein though.

Farmer is offline Member
    I remember the guy at 1fast400 on bb.com would send away 100gm samples to check purity. Does anyone know if he has done this with the Pro-Rated? IMO you cannot tell if a protein is 'working' or not in a short period of time..I try to get my protein from whole foods so I know what I am getting.

I was kindve curious about that protein because I bought 6 tubs last time..everything seems legit so far..but I won't believe anything till it's on paper.

Peace

Farmer

The protein they sell in the Canadian costcos tastes like excrement... it's truly horrible. Never again will I buy that stuff. As RP said, it's "Sports Nutrition" brand or something like that. Vile stuff!

If I were in the US I'd order from http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/ no hesitation, no questions asked... being in Canada, shipping and customs kills me, so I mail order Prolab chocolate and strawberry protein tubs from Popeyes in Alberta (and they're opening a store here in Montreal next month so I won't have to mail order across the country anymore!)

Most of the local suplpement stores are thieves here... their prices are more inflated than my ego!

Red

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    I took a look at the Costco stuff last time I was there from what I recall it's primarily Whey Concentrate, rather than Isolate. That's the cheaper form. From everything I've read Isolate is absorbed much more efficently. Plus for some reason I feel sluggish and lousy on concentrate.

If you buy something at AllSports here at AR, it helps support the site, so that's something to think about as well as the fact their stuff is better than Costco's.

concentrate tends to be harder to digest and cause more bloating, also it does not provide many of the good protein fractions that are in isolate

RUDY-14 is offline Associate Member
    Hey Johnsomebody, I have the whey concentrate as well, is this stuff no good? It was on sale for 90 bucks, 2 five [pound tubs. I would love to know if it is crap.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Hate to sound like a freakin' ad (well I am a marketing student)....

But any canucks might wanna check out:
    http://www.canadianwhey.com/

They offer both concentrate and isolate. Good prices and I hear good things (though I haven't tried it yet).

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by RUDY-14
    Hey Johnsomebody, I have the whey concentrate as well, is this stuff no good? It was on sale for 90 bucks, 2 five [pound tubs. I would love to know if it is crap.
    You paid $90 for 10 LBS of protein!!???!!!! It sounds like we need to raise our price from $37.99 if people are willing to pay that much. You could have bought straight isolate for less than that.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Is there a difference in muscle growth between taking isolate or concentrate? or is it just the lactose/bloating issue?

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RUDY-14
    Well, Macrophage said it all. It's not crap, just not as good. I can't use it cause like I said it just makes me feel lousy. I have no probs at all with Isolate.

Thread Information