guts is offline Junior Member

When to take Whey and Mealreplacment Protien

Whats up guys, can some some one tell when is best to take pure Whey Protien, like what time of the day. And when is best to take Mealreplacment shakes. Because this has been bothering me,some pros at my gym says you should take Mealreplacment after work out cause you need carbs, at least 80g. and other pros says no you should take whey cause the body absorbet faster after work out. and thanks alot
    By the way I use Nitro tech whey protien and Myoplex mealreplacment.

detroit is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by guts
    Whats up guys, can some some one tell when is best to take pure Whey Protien, like what time of the day. And when is best to take Mealreplacment shakes. Because this has been bothering me,some pros at my gym says you should take Mealreplacment after work out cause you need carbs, at least 80g. and other pros says no you should take whey cause the body absorbet faster after work out. and thanks alot
    By the way I use Nitro tech whey protien and Myoplex mealreplacment.
    Remember that these are only supplements to your "well balanced diet". Use them in-between meals through-out the day, but most importantly after you train.

cb25 is offline Banned
    In a way...all of the advice you got was good (and bad at the same time, since none of it was too specific).

I'll try to sum it up, but i'd say do a search for post-workout shakes (PWO) and you'll see what everyone else recommends.

Basically, you need simple carbs (sugars) after you train - that's where that 80g number you were told came from. Part of it is to replenish muscle and liver glycogen stores - part of it is to cause your body to release insulin - which i'll get to in a second. The preferred sources of carbs are either 1)dextrose (basically pure glucose - the simplest sugar, which causes a very high insulin release) or 2)maltodextrin. Dextrose is preferred IMO, either alone or mixed in a 1:1 ratio with malto.

also, you need to have protein, preferrably a fast-digesting protein like whey. That is why people recommend you have whey protein right after...it offers a quick supply of amino acids to your muscles to help with recovery.

The idea with insulin is this. Insulin is an anabolic hormone and, in the simplest terms, causes your body to uptake everything it can. Insulin tells the muscle cells to grab all the sugar, and amino acids that they can - the cell fills up and has all the nutrients it needs to replenish itself and grow. Insulin also tells fat cells to uptake fat - so this is why you should avoid any fat in your PWO shake.

So it comes down to this. PWO shake should be around carbs to protein in a 2:1 ratio - in other words, if you're taking in 80g dextrose, you should have 40g whey.

The Myoplex MRPs are good for in between meals, but not PWO in my opinion.

The whey protein can also be added throughout the day, whenever you feel necessary. Think of it this way - you should be having protein at every meal. If you aren't able to get your hands on some chicken breast, or tuna, or whatever, add a whey shake on top of what you're eating - that way you're still supplying your body with the protein it needs...

Hope that helps...

Thread Information