View Poll Results: Is glutamine with the $?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think its one of the most important sups you can take!

46 36.22%
  • No, its a total waste of money

14 11.02%
  • Not sure, its worked for me

30 23.62%
  • I have no clue bro!

37 29.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member

Angry Final Word on Glutamine?

OK, about 4 months ago everything I read about glutamine was great. Lately everything I have read says its a waste, and it sucks. So whats the deal? I'm about done with a 1000 gram bottle, and want to know if I should spend the 40.00-50.00$ for another. What do you guys think? Get it or trash it?

Sorry guys I know this is the 100th thread on this, but I want a bit more info. Thanks
    Last edited by Jdawg50; 03-19-2003 at 08:35 PM.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    The great Glut debate. What I have found personally is that it does make me hold a little more water. As for when I bulk with it, it seems to make no difference in my results. Cutting it has more use, when I used to cut and my diet was semi shitty and way too low on cals it did help me preserve muscle and strength. Now that my diet is very good it doesn't do shit for me when I cut. Right now I have about 300g left and I will use it up but I will probably never buy it again, unless I want to do a shitty diet again for some strange reason. Hope this helps.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I use it.....of course I don't buy it by itself...it already comes in with the protein powder so.......

Originally posted by BIG TEXAN
    I use it.....of course I don't buy it by itself...it already comes in with the <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> powder so.......
    Very true, if you use a high quality protein powder 2 or more times a day you should be getting enough from there.

Pain

Interesting just found this out.

There are only 5g of Amino Acids in the Blood stream at any given time. This is VERY tightly controlled by your body.

Out of those 5g of AA's, 61% is glutamine.

So, 3g of glutamine in the Blood stream at any given time.

95%(Probably more) of all ingested glutamine is destroyed by the stomach acids(PH is too acidic).

Whatever glutamine manages to survive the stomach intact, can only be used at a certain rate.

Assume, that there is a 66% depletion in Blood stream glutamine(Only 1g instead of 3g(61%))

Therefore, only 2g of glutaqmine can be absorbed by the bloodstream and theoretically be used.

So,what does this all mean:

Out of 100g of ORALLY ingested glutamine, only MAYBE 1-2g can be used AT MAXIMUM.

Complete and utter waste of money IMO.

Now IV Glutamine is another story. THAT works and is what the supplement companies show in websites to fool you.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Oral and IV???????? I thought we were talking about suppository glutamine.......?????

HorseFace is offline Junior Member
    lol... yea i hear its useless unless you get it through IV

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I like it personally but I go with glutamine peptides and not L-glutamine. But to each there own though.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Decoder is offline Banned
    I never use Glutamine, the only reason i would take it is to speed up recovery time, in no way does it increase protien synthises or put on size.

Brian1200 is offline Junior Member

Smile

Makes me super horny, or mabye that is just the weed :eek

Pumped109 is offline Associate Member
    The only amino acid with the ability to easily cross the barrier between blood and brain tissue. I beleive it is very inportant in aiding in the breakdown and digestion of mass amount of protien. If glute is not used when taking in large amounts, what your body does not use is just a waste. For most the average ratio is about 25grams per hour.

jeffylyte is offline Member
    Indiana. My phallus is bigger than Nathan's!
    i think pumped has a point. whether or not its useful for training, i don't know. i do know that when i use it I get better sleep and actually dream (or at least remember them) - quite vividly too. since most hormonal release is done during sleep and this is what makes us recover and grow i like it.

rxarms is offline Associate Member
    Jdawg50

I still don't think your question got answered.

The way I read it; Glutamine one big fat question mark ????

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Glutamine is supposed to have an anti-catabolic effect. Taking extra (more than what is in the body already) only makes sense just before and right after working out. Right after being the prime time because this is when muscles are super absorbent like Bounty.

rxarms is offline Associate Member
    Glutamine is an amino acid. With a protein rich diet don't you all think we get enough of it anyways.

FmRommel is offline Member
    Originally posted by HorseFace
    lol... yea i hear its useless unless you get it through IV

IV??? What the hell?

wrstlr69sdnl is offline Senior Member
    so for all I have heard is that it speeds up recovery which is good for me

WiLLpOwEr is offline Member
    Whoa whoa whoa everybody slow down

I don't know who started this whole "glutamine is 95% destroyed" epidemic, but I do know that I have never seen [U]ANY REPORT[/] to even remotely suggest this.

However, I have found some very recent studies which show some of the many benefits of glutamine, and at the very least demonstrate that glutamine is not destroyed orally!!

Here is a direct quote taken from flexnutrition.com

Performance benefits

1. Increased plasma bicarbonate and growth hormone after an oral glutamine load.
    Welbourne TC; Am J Clin Nutr 1995 May;61(5):1058-61
    Department of Physiology, Louisiana State University College of Medicine, Shreveport 71130, USA.

An oral glutamine load was administered to nine healthy subjects to determine the effect on plasma glutamine, bicarbonate, and circulating growth hormone concentrations. Two grams glutamine were dissolved in a cola drink and ingested over a 20-min period 45 min after a light breakfast. Forearm venous blood samples were obtained at zero time and at 30-min intervals for 90 min and compared with time controls obtained 1 wk earlier. Eight of nine subjects responded to the oral glutamine load with an increase in plasma glutamine at 30 and 60 min before returning to the control value at 90 min. Ninety minutes after the glutamine administration load both plasma bicarbonate concentration and circulating plasma growth hormone concentration were elevated (by a mean of 430%). These findings demonstrate that a surprisingly small oral glutamine load is capable of elevating alkaline reserves as well as plasma growth hormone.

Here is another quote, and it has to do with an increase in immunity, but it shows it does get absorbed

3. The effects of oral glutamine supplementation on athletes after prolonged, exhaustive exercise.
    Castell LM, Newsholme EA; Nutrition 1997 Jul-Aug;13(7-8):738-42 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut
    University Department of Biochemistry, Oxford, United Kingdom.

Athletes undergoing intense, prolonged training or participating in endurance races suffer an increased risk of infection due to apparent immunosuppression. Glutamine is an important fuel for some cells of the immune system and may have specific immunostimulatory effects. The plasma glutamine concentration is lower after prolonged, exhaustive exercise: this may contribute to impairment of the immune system at a time when the athlete may be exposed to opportunistic infections. The effects of feeding glutamine was investigated both at rest in sedentary controls and after exhaustive exercise in middle-distance, marathon and ultra-marathon runners, and elite rowers, in training and competition. Questionnaires established the incidence of infection for 7 d after exercise: infection levels were highest in marathon and ultra-marathon runners, and in elite male rowers after intensive training. Plasma glutamine levels were decreased by approximately 20% 1 h after marathon running. A marked increase in numbers of white blood cells occurred immediately after exhaustive exercise, followed by a decrease in the numbers of lymphocytes. The provision of oral glutamine after exercise appeared to have a beneficial effect on the level of subsequent infections. In addition, the ratio of T-helper/T-suppressor cells appeared to be increased in samples from those who received glutamine, compared with placebo.

Not only that, I found studies which state that glutamine helped prevent infections, but I felt that it was not relevant to bodybuilding, so I left them out.

PLEASE STOP SAYING GLUTAMINE SUCKS! I can tell you from personal experience that it helps recovery and anti-catabolism!! If you have taken it correctly and do not feel the same way you are either ignorant or on roids and didn't notice a difference!

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i think glutamine has a place but not buying the stuff indivdually
    its not an essential amino and your body has an abundant supply of the stuff, and yes its delepted when training but you'll get enough from your diet alone

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    personally like the stuff. seems to make me hold more water

jollyroger is offline New Member
    I like it myself. I aids in my recovery. I am less sore when I take it after working out than if I don't.

Feli Fly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg50
    ...1000 gram bottle, and want to know if I should spend the 40.00-50.00$ for another...
    I like it for bulking, and a lot of guys way bigger than me like it too. So, yeah, get more.

But, no, you shouldn't spend $40-50 for another...

http://www.myvitanet.com/lglut500gram.html

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    I think i got 5lbs for $40

Valmont is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by painintheazz
    Interesting just found this out.

There are only 5g of Amino Acids in the Blood stream at any given time. This is VERY tightly controlled by your body.

Out of those 5g of AA's, 61% is glutamine.

So, 3g of glutamine in the Blood stream at any given time.

95%(Probably more) of all ingested glutamine is destroyed by the stomach acids(PH is too acidic).

Whatever glutamine manages to survive the stomach intact, can only be used at a certain rate.

Assume, that there is a 66% depletion in Blood stream glutamine(Only 1g instead of 3g(61%))

Therefore, only 2g of glutaqmine can be absorbed by the bloodstream and theoretically be used.

So,what does this all mean:

Out of 100g of ORALLY ingested glutamine, only MAYBE 1-2g can be used AT MAXIMUM.

Complete and utter waste of money IMO.

Now IV Glutamine is another story. THAT works and is what the supplement companies show in websites to fool you.
    \\

Excellent points.

cfiler is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't bother with it.
    I spend too much on food and protien to have anything left over to spend on something that "sort of works." When it puts on 20lbs in 2 weeks, I'll jump on the band wagon.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    i pop glut fule like candy

Go Time is offline Associate Member
    IMO I think it is by far one of the most important supps when it comes to a cutting phase, as far as being anti-catabolic.

Rhino58 is offline Senior Member
    I use it after every workout.

n0_Genetics is offline Associate Member
    was about to use it for my coming post cycle, i'm becoming skeptical already...
    so i'll say buy it if i have enough cash

Pure Power is offline Junior Member
    When I'm taking Glut especialy on a diet I notice I dont' feel as sick. I also in general sleep beter. I get about 24 grams in a day through my protein shakes. some L glut some peptides and most glutimic acid. I also up it when i get a cold or the flu along with my zinc.. seams to cut my illness by a fouple days and lets me operate on a semi normal functioning level. wich is nice.. because I'm a big baby when i get sick.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg50
    OK, about 4 months ago everything I read about glutamine was great. Lately everything I have read says its a waste, and it sucks. So whats the deal? I'm about done with a 1000 gram bottle, and want to know if I should spend the 40.00-50.00$ for another. What do you guys think? Get it or trash it?

Sorry guys I know this is the 100th thread on this, but I want a bit more info. Thanks
    Its only necessary/needed when you are overtrained or not getting enough glutamine... otherwise taking it into excess which is actually benefitial with arginine just doesnt do anything with glutamine.

Dosen't the intake of glutamine if taken at the same time as argine affect it's uptake? Both are good for GH I hear, but i htought was under the impression you shoudl take them seperately.

Ntpadude is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Power
    Dosen't the intake of glutamine if taken at the same time as argine affect it's uptake? Both are good for GH I hear, but i htought was under the impression you shoudl take them seperately.
    Arginine doesnt need anything else to metabolize, in fact arginine and glutamine each are best absorbed on an empty stomach with no other proteins and not together. Arginine will always be absorbed but the body tosses aside glutamine in favor of other nutrients all the time because its just plain so abundant in everything we eat to begin with. Glutamine taken in excess of what is needed results in NO extra benefit. If you are overtrained and/or short or deficient on glutamine then you need it. I keep 1000 mg pills of l-glutamine on hand but dont take it everyday. I only take it if I am particularly having morning after workout pain, if I sence a cold or flu is coming, etc and only for those reasons. But think about it, a normal glass of whey mixed in water is like 5.5 grams... a glass of milk is 1 gram glutamine, a wendy's burger has like 10 grams of glutamine... we all get tons and tons of this stuff in our normal diet!

i feel you npt, but for me I use it as preventative. I kind of look at it like calcium or vit. C. Calcium is everywhere! You don't need to supliment with it really because you do get "enough" but for me it just seams to keep the doc away for me. but you're right I do up my intake if I feel sick, along with ZMA it's tte first thing I grab for especialy for cold season!

QbHunter is offline Associate Member
    here it is:

Glutamine is stored in your muscle cells. Your immune system relies heavely on it to keep a positive balence. When you put your body through stress (physical and mental) your immune system suffers, and pulls that glutamine from your muscles, leaving them depleated.

Dosnt take a genious to see that this scenerio does not look good.

Hey pain its been a while. How do you know that the 100g will all go to waste? the blood stream is just a big tube connecting the stomach and intestine to the muscles. Its the rate the the STOMACH to BLOOD - to MUSCLE transport can happen that limits how much you can use. For instance as long as you dont poop out the glut, which would take a day. your blood stream can use its 5g capacity repeatedly.

Fartdaemon is offline Member
    I am a firm beiliever of glutamine
    5g in morning, 5g before and after workout, 5g before bed

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    We had this discussion before I believe? I was all for it.

MrOlympia2014 is offline New Member
    Glutamine is excellent IMO. Probably the best amino acid out there. It stimulates muscle growth and recovery, and prevents muscle tear down as well.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    If anyone refutes the power of Glutamine, I got a bajillion studies proving it's use. Not only in the bodybuilding world, but in general health. Glutamine is right up there with Protein whey's for me brah. Riiiight up there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information