georgie24 is offline Member

Scale Bf% And Weight

HI GUYS I JUST BOUGHT A ELECTRIC SCALE FROM THE SPORTS ATHORITY ITS MADE BY TANITA I PAID 59.95.ANYWAY I WEGHED MYSELF TWO DAYZ STRAIGHT AND GOT TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT READINGS IF ANYONE ELSE HAS A SIMALER GADGET I CAN USE SOME FEEDBACK...PEACE GUYZ

physio_sport is offline Banned
    i dont have the scale that you have. but i have got an electric one as well and what ive noticed is it gives you differnt weight depending on where you put it. also sometimes even if its in the same placxe youll get differnt weight.

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

i had one of those scales back when i was in collge playing ball

we had a bunch of them in our trainers room and they were so inaccurate it was even funny.i have seen the one you are talkign about.i always wanted to give them another try but i'm too sckeptical after past experiences

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    I have one key thing is they are configured for body-builders therefore the % b/f is always too high

BA

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I get a different reading of every scale I stand on.They say use the same scale at least you can determine whether you are gaining or losing.

Anybody know the calibration of scales like percentage error that is allowed?

Billy

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    The tanita scale is supposed to measure, not only bodywieght but bodyfat. I'm not sure how accurate it is. If you want ot be sure, buy a set of calipers (GNC or the like) and compare the readings from the calipers to the readings on the scale. As Billy said you can, at least, use the devices to determine whether or not your gaining or losing. If you want a truly accurate reading, see a professional. Good Luck.

Pete

bulldog is offline New Member
    Bro I bought the same kind of Tanita scale and its all over the place with my bodyfat readings. I use it is measure my progress instead of trying to get an accurate reading to the 0.1%.

Try measuring once in the morning right after you wake up and after you take your morning piss. Right down the readings. Then measure again at night right before you go to bed and after you take your last piss. Right down those results. Do this every day only measuring those two times in the day.

At the end of the week average all of your readings together to get a weekly weight and bodyfat %. If you follow this process every week then you should be able to measure your "weekly" progress (hopefully seeing a decrease in bf and an increase in weight)

And if you are on this website, you are probably pretty handy with the computer so you could set up a spreadsheet to track your results that would automatically average them out for you.

If you want me to e-mail you the spreadsheet I created just send me a PM.

Good luck Bro and don't let the scale F*@# with your head ! !

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I have the commercial Tanita in my gym, and it has a couple options extra. It asks if you're an athlete, and gives a printout with lean, fat lbs, bmr etc. Anyway there is a huge difference if you 1. use it in the am. 2. are not totally hydrated. 3. use it post workout. That's bio....impedance for you. However if you follow the same protocol and consistantly get on at the same time and with the same circumstances then you'll have consistant (perhams not real accurate) but consistant readings.

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    Like Pete said get some calipers. Scales can't measure body fat. I got a pair on line that was completely digital for $35. They have cheaper one for as low as $7. Just do a web search for Body Fat Calipers or Gnc has the cheap ones too.

just know that

skinfold calipers can be off by as much as 5%.it's been proven in comparison to other forms of testing.so if you are real lean skinfold calipers suck.if you are overweight(i'm not talking about you GEO , but just in general) then maybe they are good to help you sleep at night and think you are leaner than you are.

RON
    I would say 5% is better than a scale can do just based on you weight. If you find a gym with those water dunking thing-a-ma-bobs (whatever its called) even better.

oh i'm not saying they are bad

VO2 max??

VO2max

that shit can be grueling

RON
    Ya that thing. Never done it. Whats grueling about it?

i've never done it personally

i've seen it done at a gym.you have to expend all your oxygen and be submerged over and over for periods of time.sounds easy but i've seen people who get it done and thay are spent.i'm gonna go and get it done in january.just to start the new yr.i knwo it's far off but after i do i'll let you guys know how it went.

firedup is offline Junior Member

BF% scales

These scales that messure body fat electronically use your body's natural resistance, a tiny amount of voltage is sent thru you and the current is messured. which is fine. but alot of things can change that current reading. The amount of sodium that is in your body can change the resaults. And if you drink mineral water just don't even look at the resaults cuz they are off.

So just like what everyone else said....get some calipers.

fastman is offline New Member
    The water reading done is the most accurate way to do it. Calipers work great as well, and if you get someone that does it a lot the can be as a good as a water tank test. I also have a tanita scale and it is way over the place, it gives you a rough idea if you are going up or down. I wasted my money when I got one. I would have been better off spending the money on a good scale without the body fat %.

VO2 max test is a stress test done on a treadmill or stationary bike that keeps getting harder until you can't go anymore and that is the most accurate way to tell where you go anaerobic. From that you can tell heart rate ranges. If they incorporate blood work during the test it is the best way. I have done many V02 max test and they are brutal.

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    The Tanita scales are set up for NON-bodybuilders. They get less accurate. They have an "athlete" model.

They can measure bf%, within a error range, but calipers have a couple % error range as well.

your weight, hydration, etc fluctate throughout the day..... You should use the scale as a guage of progress. Be sure to way your self at the same time every day. Like every Thursday AM if training, eating, drinking water consistently. Or every Thursday AM & PM, and average the two readings.

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    None of those things are accurate at all. The only way that you could get a pretty accurate reading is by going to Physical Nutritionist. If you find a good one they will have this machine, and they put sensors allover your body and that's how they messure it.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by GenuinePL
    None of those things are accurate at all. The only way that you could get a pretty accurate reading is by going to Physical Nutritionist. If you find a good one they will have this machine, and they put sensors allover your body and that's how they messure it.

What are you talking about? Every legit study done says that hydrosatic weighing has an accuracy rating of +- 2.3%, and that is as close as you can get. I am interested in this method you are referring to. What more can you tell me about it? If it is sensor related it is most likely bioelectical impedance. Let me know.

fastman is offline New Member
    I am also questioning the use of sensors since that sounds like bioelectrical impedance as dumbbells send. Bioelectrical impedance is what the Tanita scales use and as everyone has pointed out varies so much with hydration levels and the like.

Anything that could beat going into the water tank (hydrostatic weighing) I would also be very interested in hearing about. Also someone very experienced with calipers can get real close as well.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Look in the mirror. Are you fat? Yes? Then go to the gym. Thats how I do it!

Thread Information