956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Fish oil prevents the adrenal activation elicited by mental stress in healthy men

posted by: hhajdo

Diabetes Metab. 2003 Jun;29(3):289-95. Related Articles, Links

Fish oil prevents the adrenal activation elicited by mental stress in healthy men.

Delarue J, Matzinger O, Binnert C, Schneiter P, Chiolero R, Tappy L.

Laboratoire regional de nutrition humaine, Hopital de la Cavale Blanche, Brest, France.

OBJECTIVES: A diet rich in n-3 fatty acids (fish oils) is associated with reduced risks of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, but the mechanisms remain incompletely understood. Sympathoadrenal activation is postulated to be involved in the pathogenesis of these diseases, and may be inhibited by n-3 fatty acids. We therefore evaluated the effects of a diet supplemented with n-3 fatty acids on the stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system and of stress hormones elicited by a mental stress. METHODS: Seven human volunteers were studied on two occasions, before and after 3 weeks of supplementation with 7.2 g/day fish oil. On each occasion, the concentrations of plasma cortisol, and catecholamines, energy expenditure (indirect calorimetry), and adipose tissue lipolysis (plasma non esterified fatty acid concentrations) were monitored in basal conditions followed by a 30 min mental stress (mental arithmetics and Stroop's test) and a 30 min recovery period. RESULTS: In control conditions, mental stress significantly increased heart rate, mean blood pressure, and energy expenditure. It increased plasma epinephrine from 60.9 +/- 6.2 to 89.3 +/- 16.1 pg/ml (p<0.05), plasma cortisol from 291 +/- 32 to 372 +/- 37 micromol/l (p<0.05) and plasma non esterified fatty acids from 409 +/- 113 to 544 +/- 89 micromol/l (p<0.05). After 3 weeks of a diet supplemented with n-3 fatty acids, the stimulation by mental stress of plasma epinephrine, cortisol, energy expenditure, and plasma non esterified fatty acids concentrations, were all significantly blunted. CONCLUSION: Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids inhibits the adrenal activation elicited by a mental stress, presumably through effects exerted at the level of the central nervous system.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    allright, screw you guys :P

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    sounds too complicated to me...

what's the bottom line in english?

K-pac is offline New Member
    I don't know what it says but send me 3 anyway. F*ck it, send me 5

K-pac

cb25 is offline Banned
    Here's what I read as the bottom line...vette, if i'm off, correct me.

Basically, as bodybuilders, we want to minimize our "stress hormones." Things like cortisol break down muscle tissue. This study shows that supplementation with omega 3 oils (fish oils) blunts the adrenal response (in other words - less cortisol release, less epinephrine, etc)...this would (in theory) make it easier to maintain a positive, anabolic environment in our bodies...

Simple terms, fish oil = good.

Interesting post vette...sorry i missed it until now.

arnold1980 is offline Associate Member
    In addition, cod liveroil contains 7 percent each of the elongated omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. EPA is the precursor of important prostaglandins, localized tissue hormones that help the body deal with inflammation (anti-inflammatory too); and DHA is extremely important for the development and function of the brain and nervous system. I have also read that the vitamin a in codliver oil helps mineral and vitamin absorbtion.

1. Aviram M, Brox J, Nordoy A. Acute effects of dietary cod liver oil and cream on plasma lipoproteins. Ann.Nutr Metab 1986;30:143-8.

2. Brox JH, Killie JE, Gunnes S, Nordoy A. The effect of cod liver oil and corn oil on platelets and vessel wall in man. Thromb.Haemost. 1981;46:604-11.
    Last edited by arnold1980; 03-04-2004 at 03:53 PM.

Thread Information