Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Garay002 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19

    17 year old with a few questions...

    First of all, I am a 17 year old male, I weigh 223 pounds, and I am 5'11. I want to lose a few pounds by June, and I'm wondering...how important is Protein in my diet? I'm getting a gym membership on Monday, and I am planning to go for an hour or two a day. I don't want to lose any strength or muscle, so I thought I'd take a few protein shakes a day. Which is the best and most affordable brand that I can buy online, and how often should I take it? Also, what type of workouts are best for losing fat? Should I focus on aerobic more, or lifting weights? Any help is appreciated .

  2. #2
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    Prorated from www.allsportsnutrition.com ($38 for 10lbs), or my favorite Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey www.1fast400.com ($45 for 10lbs).

    You should aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. The most important time to consume protein is immeduately after your workout. Consume 40-60 grams along with 40-60 grams of simple carbohydrates (dextrose or gatorade powder).

    Check the exercises/workout forum for sample workouts, or head to www.bodybuilding.com for some good beginner routines.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    In The Dope Show
    Posts
    286
    You should workout 1 hour max in the gym. Anything more then that could be overtraining. Unless you are working your jaw and talking to people in the gym. But keep it under an hour for a workout.

  4. #4
    baller45's Avatar
    baller45 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    138
    -Figure out a good time to cut off your food intake. Night eating is bad for your kind of goal. You might lose weight if you just stop that. Back when I was in highschool I cut out my night eating and ended up with a real low body fat.

    Try jogging(Prefferably outside in order to keep it interesting).
    Just do it on you off days(Or on days you don't lift legs).About 20mins more if you feel like it.
    Tips:
    -Don't kill yourself, just keep an easy pace till your body gets used to running distance. It could take a handfull of runs.
    -Seriously, if you go too hard you will hate it.
    -Get a decent pair of running shoes. My pair of shox from nike are really comforable.

    Diet wise-
    I would go with animalbolics because it is the most sound way to loose fat.
    But it still comes down to calorie intake, no matter what diet you choose.

  5. #5
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by baller45
    -Figure out a good time to cut off your food intake. Night eating is bad for your kind of goal. You might lose weight if you just stop that. Back when I was in highschool I cut out my night eating and ended up with a real low body fat.

    Try jogging(Prefferably outside in order to keep it interesting).
    Just do it on you off days(Or on days you don't lift legs).About 20mins more if you feel like it.
    Tips:
    -Don't kill yourself, just keep an easy pace till your body gets used to running distance. It could take a handfull of runs.
    -Seriously, if you go too hard you will hate it.
    -Get a decent pair of running shoes. My pair of shox from nike are really comforable.

    Diet wise-
    I would go with animalbolics because it is the most sound way to loose fat.
    But it still comes down to calorie intake, no matter what diet you choose.
    first of all your body metabolises food at the same rate no matter what time it is, it's activity that changes it. so if you lift at night then you still need to eat two PWO meals no matter what time it is. i have eaten from the time i've woken up til the time i go to bed and lost 12 lbs of Fat in 12 weeks. so night eating is fine if you eat the right foods.
    Cardio in the morning for 45 minutes on an empty stomach at 65% of max heart rate is the best for fat burning and i dont care if people say it's catabolic because i do it and im getting stronger in the gym so i dont think im killing muscle. it all depends on how you eat to recover.
    as for dieting check out the diet forum and see the thread on top called the unofficial cutting guide to construct a diet. from there post it and we can help you tweak it to make it work for you.
    protein is the best thing out there. it helps recover and repair muscle, which when cutting is the most important aspect of dieting. eating protein is like putting on underwear...something that should be done all the time.

  6. #6
    Garay002 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19
    thanks for the replies guys. MMC78, I'm about to order two 10lb. containers of Pro-rated .

    "You should workout 1 hour max in the gym. Anything more then that could be overtraining."

    Can I go in the morning and lift for one hour, then go again in the evening and lift another hour? Or is it one hour max per day?


    I posted my diet on the diet questions board, it'd be nice if you guys helped me out a bit more .

  7. #7
    MMC78's Avatar
    MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,310
    No reason to workout 2 hours a day. If you're just starting, shoot for max 4 days a week of weight training. And keep the duration under an hour. Good Luck.

  8. #8
    baller45's Avatar
    baller45 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    first of all your body metabolises food at the same rate no matter what time it is, it's activity that changes it. so if you lift at night then you still need to eat two PWO meals no matter what time it is. i have eaten from the time i've woken up til the time i go to bed and lost 12 lbs of Fat in 12 weeks. so night eating is fine if you eat the right foods.
    Yeah... well don't eat at night. Unless you eat "the right food."
    Magic good tasting calorieless food. LOL

    Garay002 is not training for a novice bodybuilding competition like you.
    He is a high school kid who want to look good at the pool.
    PWO meal is fine, but he is not working out everyday.

  9. #9
    lxorl's Avatar
    lxorl is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    290
    my advice to you is remember "Rome wasnt built in a day" of you try for too much too fast you will burn out.

    I would be sure to incorporate both weights and cardio. The protines linked abover are good. 1 shake a day after work out should be fine with a good protine rich diet.

  10. #10
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by baller45
    Yeah... well don't eat at night. Unless you eat "the right food."
    Magic good tasting calorieless food. LOL

    Garay002 is not training for a novice bodybuilding competition like you.
    He is a high school kid who want to look good at the pool.
    PWO meal is fine, but he is not working out everyday.
    actually i have a lot of enjoyable recipes for food that tastes great and is very healthy. EXCESSIVELY limiting your food intake does not help in dieting. if i knew then what i know now i would have been eating 8 times a day in highschool. dont knock my methods bro until you know exactlywhat they are.

  11. #11
    baller45's Avatar
    baller45 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    dont knock my methods bro until you know exactlywhat they are.
    Take your own advise from my first post.
    Anyway, not eating at night does not restrict calories that much. Thats just the time when a lot kids will decide to pop open a big ass bag of doritos or make a couple totino's pizza's. At his body weight the fat will fly off.
    Once again this kid is not tying to be a bodybuilder. He is trying to lose some fat.

  12. #12
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by baller45
    Take your own advise from my first post.
    Anyway, not eating at night does not restrict calories that much. Thats just the time when a lot kids will decide to pop open a big ass bag of doritos or make a couple totino's pizza's. At his body weight the fat will fly off.
    Once again this kid is not tying to be a bodybuilder. He is trying to lose some fat.
    i understand that he wants to lose a few pounds and not get too strict. im also a trainer and deal with people that only want to lose a few pounds....most of them are over joyed at the fact that they can eat throughout the day. think about it, if someone has the option of eating nothing...or eating a small piece of chicken or lean beef with some veggies would one go with the food? you can season as much as you want and make things taste really good. there are options available and most diets today even the commercialized ones emphasize frequent eating. the key is to not open that bag of doritos or pizza. it's not that hard and there are other things besides nothing at all to eat at night.

  13. #13
    Garay002 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19
    Ok, I am planning on running every morning, and weight lifting every other day (Mon, Wed, Fri). Is this ok?

    Also, do I have to consume 3 servings of protein with 40-60 grams of carbs after a workout? (MMC posted something like that above) I thought carbs were bad when trying to lose weight?

    Sorry for all the questions, but I'm glad I found these boards, they are helping me out alot .

  14. #14
    damiongage's Avatar
    damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pergatory
    Posts
    3,454
    Nice to know you.............but you have to be 18 to be on this board......i am sure you will be banned soon.

  15. #15
    Garay002 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19
    Nice to know you.............but you have to be 18 to be on this board......i am sure you will be banned soon.

    Oh really? Because I found this in the FAQ:

    If you are under the age of 13, the administrator may require that a parent or guardian provides consent before allowing you to complete the registration process.

    Thanks for the welcome, a**hole

    Anyway, can anyone help me?

  16. #16
    damiongage's Avatar
    damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pergatory
    Posts
    3,454
    1. yes really. Do you think I just made it up?
    2. I was being sincere when i said "nice to know you"
    3. your last comment is one of the reasons they no longer allow under 18

  17. #17
    Garay002 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    19
    Please give me a link to the page that says that people under 18 aren't allowed to post on this board. Thanks.

  18. #18
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Garay002
    Please give me a link to the page that says that people under 18 aren't allowed to post on this board. Thanks.
    one thing we dont do here is flame anyone...calling someone an a$$hole isnt gonna get ya far...just keep that in mind bro.

    anyways back to your diet (more important stuff) like i said, check out the diet forum. there is a lot of advice in there that can help you construct a great diet. once you do we can all critique it and help you come up with something that will get you to achieve your goals....the diet is very doable and keeps me full all day. if you want anymore info. you can also PM me and ill give you an example of what i eat. from there we can talk about your diet.

  19. #19
    Phila06 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1

    On first cycle and need some advice

    I im half way thru my frist cycle of test eth and eq and my mid section seems to puttin on as much mass as my upper body...how can i get rid of that with diet and excerise? Less carbs more cardio?

  20. #20
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila06
    I im half way thru my frist cycle of test eth and eq and my mid section seems to puttin on as much mass as my upper body...how can i get rid of that with diet and excerise? Less carbs more cardio?
    start your own thread with this question in the diet forum boss

  21. #21
    Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,917
    I'm trying to shred some fat as well. Listen to the bro's in AR, most are very open-minded, and educated. I'm 19, and have been doing cardio in the AM, keeping my protein levels up, and have cut carbs after 5 pm. So far, along with a good diet, (look in the diet forum), I have managed to lose 10 lbs. Good luck bro, and keep us posted.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •