Thread: glutamine

Sage is offline Anabolic Member

glutamine

Is it better to buy it in powder or capsule form (glutamine) ?

eacman65 is offline Member
    doesnt mater, you should get plenty from your protein powder by the way

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eacman65
    doesnt mater, you should get plenty from your protein powder by the way
    true that, thanx bro

eacman65 is offline Member
    no problem

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    powder all the way for me

brian11 is offline Member
    Use the powder, it is much more potent and cheaper. And contrary to popular belief, especially on here, it is good to take extra glut other than what comes in your whey. There is less than 5 g in most whey proteins. Check this site out!

www.abcbodybuilding.com and go to nutrition then supplementation, and then click on the glutamine article. It is a lot of great info!

-B-

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    Use the powder, it is much more potent and cheaper. And contrary to popular belief, especially on here, it is good to take extra glut other than what comes in your whey. There is less than 5 g in most whey proteins. Check this site out!

www.abcbodybuilding.com and go to nutrition then supplementation, and then click on the glutamine article. It is a lot of great info!

-B-

is that devon or b spears?

haha, i dont even know who devon is, but its neither one

Cousin Eddie is offline Associate Member
    Beacuse a substantial amount is usually taken at one time, powder is the easiest and most popular form. As far as effectiveness, there should not be much difference between powder and capsules, as long as the amount being consumed is the same.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I would assume that a capsule would be the better choice, because glutamine tends to be used by the gastrointestinal system and a good amount of the powder may not even make it past the stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I would assume that a capsule would be the better choice, because glutamine tends to be used by the gastrointestinal system and a good amount of the powder may not even make it past the stomach.
    Good point. You could also eliminate that concern by using peptides rather than free form.

But Glutamine is a free form amino acid. I didn't know they had a peptide form. I don't know how they could make a peptide form either.

This explains somewhat -
    http://www.tsrf.com/supplements/supplements_lglut.htm
    http://www.hsrmagazine.com/articles/091sport.html

You can get the peptide bound form at quite a few online retailers.
    Last edited by Cousin Eddie; 07-09-2004 at 11:31 AM.

So, like I thought, it's not just Glutamine. It's a matter of binding the Glutamine with something else. I use Juven and that has Glutamine in it (it's also listed in that link as one of the products that uses a glutamine peptide bond). I wouldn't waste my money on taking glutamine by itself. I've always told people that most of the glutamine they take is used in the digestive tract and never makes it to the muslces, but nobody wanted to hear it. Now you've provided a link to a website that says the same thing I've been saying all along. So thanks.

So, like I thought, it's not just Glutamine. It's a matter of binding the Glutamine with something else. I use Juven and that has Glutamine in it (it's also listed in that link as one of the products that uses a glutamine peptide bond). I wouldn't waste my money on taking glutamine by itself. I've always told people that most of the glutamine they take is used in the digestive tract and never makes it to the muslces, but nobody wanted to hear it. Now you've provided a link to a website that says the same thing I've been saying all along. So thanks.
    The only problem with that is that there are other articles discussing the benefits for muscular development by taking gluatmine. I guess I will figure it out for myself. I've had bros tell me that it helps them recover. It cost me $18 for 500g so I will know after I finish it if it was beneficial.

-B-

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    glutamine is so cheap nowadays anyway i dont think a little extra will hurt you

You really can benefit from taking glutamine, but taking it by itself as a free form amino is where the problem is. You would have to probably take about 5 grams of it every time you use it so it overloads the digestive system and then begins to be absorbed by the blood and the muscles. And even then, free form aminos are well known to be destroyed by stomach acids.

I'm not against glutamine, I just don't see the use in taking it alone. I get great results with Juven, which has glutamine in it.

I should refraise that. Glutamine is good for your body in the free-form, but not the way people here think. It's good for your digestive tract and it promotes good digestive health. I don't see the use in taking it alone for the purpose of building muscle. If you have poor digestive tract health, then taking the glutamine will help you be able to digest foods a little better (such as proteins) and that will lead to an increase in muscle, but not a major increase.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    If you have poor digestive tract health, then taking the glutamine will help you be able to digest foods a little better (such as proteins) and that will lead to an increase in muscle, but not a major increase.
    i have colitis maybe i should try it

Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    i have colitis maybe i should try it

DBarcelo,
    Alright, that soudns reasonable. I do take 5g twice a day but that still prob. isnt enough. Oh well, after this stuff is gone maybe i will try that juven stuff.
    Peace

-B-

Right. The peptide bound form is much more efficient at raising plasma levels of glutamine, which translates to more in the muscle. Agree?

I Agree with that.

moush is offline Senior Member
    where do you get juven?

Pharmacy. You may have to special order it with the pharmacist. But it is over the counter, so you don't need a scrip.

Thread Information