Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

what happens to protein shakes if put into the microwawe?

I dont like the taste much when mixing protein shakes in water so to make it more interesting i mix it with water, add 2 egg whites and 10 grams of glutamin and then I throw it into the micro wawe until it gets decently hot(but no where nere boiling), the shit taste exaclty as hot chocolate :-)

But the question is does the protein get ruined or partialy destroyed by the short time(1,5-2 minutes) in the micro wawe??

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    Never heard about that.
    Watch out for salmonella from those eggwhites, becasue they are not fully cooked.

It's microwave

Does anyone know what happens to protein and glutamine under increased temp????

BUMP

Socio is offline Associate Member
    Just basically what happens when you heat whey protein is denatures it somewhat (changes the original microfraction %'s from there original state eg.Glycomacropeptide % may change)
    It still will contain 22g of protein or what ever its supposed to so keep going with you "moca chino Jim"

TheGame826 is offline Member
    just like as in any foods in the microwaves, you will not get as much of a nutritional value from the protein, it the bottle says you chould get 20g of protein you will be lucky to get 10g after you microwave it.

a stove heats the molecules in the food, where as a microwave just speeds the molecules up making them burn out. forget the microwave your cheating yourself from that very needed protein.

Anaballick is offline Associate Member
    A lot of people cook pancakes and muffins with protein powder. I have never heard of doing this in a microwave.

but what if i first heat the water and then put in the protein powder??
    That should not destroy the protein right?
    Like I said the temperature is no where near boiling point.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    this is the way i look at it...i have cooked protein in with my muffins..and nothing has ever gone wrong...don't think the microwave should do any harm

xenithon is offline Member
    hiya guys,

don't mean to spoil the fun, but I remember researching this topic a while ago about cooking/microwaving proteins. Just like ANY protein, excess heat/acidity causes denaturation and thus loss of protein. of course some are a lot more susceptible and some more resilient, and that's why when you see things like met-rx pancake mix or universal soy-pro which say 'fine for cooking' it means they will not denature (or at least very little) but most standard protein supplements will.

i am not saying that your 40g serving of nitrotech will go to waste just I know that usually 1/3 to 1/2 can easily be destroyed - so just be carfeul, and rather try frind proteins made for cooking/baking/heating.

hope it helps!

okay, BTW the temperature im heating it to is around 120-130 degres farenheit(around 50 degres celsius).
    And Im using star nutritions whey-80 protein.

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Thats a god question, I think it has to get really hot in order for that too happen. Think about it, you cook a turkey in the oven for Thanksgiving for around 12 hours, and your not destroying the protein. You cook all of your food, and you still get the protein. Granted, it is whey, but as long as the water is not boiling, i think your fine. If the protein is destroyed in slight heat like that then all of Tobey's recipes for protein bars are all in vein. I can't believe it!!

actually, it might even have to go beyond boiling to destroy protein, look at eggs. To hard boiling them you need boiling water (does that sound like an oxymoron or what)
    Last edited by VEGETA990; 02-15-2002 at 05:02 PM.

xenithon is offline Member

difference

good point there but there is a major difference:

real food vs. protein shakes = BEEEG difference. natural protein eg turkey has all the surrounding stuff: fat, water, minerals, calcium, all that stuff which is not protein (after all turkey breast is only like 20-30% protein - so I am referring to the other 70%). these things aid in protection. as well, the protein structures are such that they are resilient - thats just natural. BUT, protein powders are super ultra mega filtered material they are pretty much nothing but amino acids bonded together, and thus the bonds are MUCH weaker than in real food and have much less protection.

think of it as a building. first you build the bracing - letsay 30% of the structure, and let that be protein. then add concrete cement bricks marble whateva u want to finish the building off - now its MUCH stronger than the original bracing alone. see me point

jimmyboy is offline New Member
    I tried adding the protein powder with water in the pan then boil it....what happened!!???!! many egg white came out!!!!!!!! hahaa!

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member

Re: difference

Originally posted by xenithon
    good point there but there is a major difference:

they are pretty much nothing but amino acids bonded together, and thus the bonds are MUCH weaker than in real food and have much less protection.

Great Point, I have to agree.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Re: what happens to protein shakes if put into the microwawe?

Originally posted by johan
    what happens to protein shakes if put into the microwawe?
    They get hot and taste like crap.

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    Thatta boy Excess!!!....I'd be interested to hear Tobey's take on this one....

Thread Information