eggplant is offline Member

does whey spike insulin?

guys, i was just thinking if the usual whey isolate that we are consuming spike insulin at all? i'm refering to the pure whey..just protein alone..without any added dextrose or malto...being that they have artificial sweeteners...does they spike insulin at all?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Why would it? Being that it's pure protein and no carbs (or very low) I don't see why it would. Usually you would consume this w/either carbs or fats, so you'd either get the spike or a bit of one from the carbs consumed with it, or you'll use fat which will further slow the digestion of it.

~SC~

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    It is my understanding that simple carbs are what spikes insulin . Not protein. Protein is why you want to spike your insulin.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Why would it? Being that it's pure protein and no carbs (or very low) I don't see why it would. Usually you would consume this w/either carbs or fats, so you'd either get the spike or a bit of one from the carbs consumed with it, or you'll use fat which will further slow the digestion of it.

~SC~
    I'm hypoglycemic (as is about 50% of my family). Personally if my blood sugar is low, and I drink whey on an empty stomach I will have a significant BG rise and subsequent crash. I know that I'm probably the exception to the rule.

If you have a normal metabolism, then whey should not seriously effect your blood sugar levels. If you have consistent signs of hypo or hyper glycemia, make an appointment with a registered dietician to determine how you should be eating.

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    Apparently whey isolate creates a small insulin spike (not enough for pwo though I'm sure).

i see..because i understand they have sweeterners in them..so i thought that might cause some insulin spike..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eggplant
    i see..because i understand they have sweeterners in them..so i thought that might cause some insulin spike..
    Yeah, Splenda or aspartame.......both of which people utilize on no/low carb diets, so I don't see this being of any issue at all. As long as you don't go overboard w/the sweeteners, and you really can't w/powder as the sweetener is in the powder already, you should be okay. Fat in the shake would blunt any insulin surge.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 08-08-2004 at 08:15 AM.

thanks swole for answering my doubts!!

yes whey will cause insulin spike..

not as much as simple carbs

bigordie is offline Member
    i may have missed this but does splenda significantly spike insulin levels or not?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigordie
    i may have missed this but does splenda significantly spike insulin levels or not?
    Splenda (a sweetener made from sugar rendered unabsorbable) does not spike unsulin.
    Back to the topic tho.Whey does spike insulin levels.I read a study (when i find it i'll post it)... a PWO containing 50gr whey+50gr dex illicited the equivalent insulin spike of 75gr dextrose alone.I don't recall the mechanism tru which the spike occurs... but it may be because of whey rapid absorption.The rapid of absorption and the consequent convertion of the amino acids to glucose (by the liver) may be the reason.

Thread Information