Pump2004 is offline Junior Member

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ala)?

I saw this mentioned on a few posts but they didn't say what they were using it for. my search came up zero. What is this supplement taken for? Thanks

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Its an antioxidant first and foremost. The bodybuilding benefit, to the best of my knowledge, is when taken right before a carbohydrate rich meal. It mimicks insulin and causes more of the glycogen to go to storage in the MUSCLES and not in FAT. It is also useful when taken w/stuff like creatine (cell-tech comes w/ALA.... although the form it comes in is hardly effective)..... as in it would cause a greater uptake into the muscles.

For brands I would recommend: AST R-ALA 200, or Syntrax R

baller45 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP7
    causes more of the glycogen to go to storage in the MUSCLES and not in FAT.
    The nutient partitioning effect turned out to be a false claim. It makes fat cells and muscle cells increase insulin sensitivity equally. The people that were really pimping it were using studies from people/or rats that were already insulin resistant.

ALA does kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by baller45
    The nutient partitioning effect turned out to be a false claim. It makes fat cells and muscle cells increase insulin sensitivity equally. The people that were really pimping it were using studies from people/or rats that were already insulin resistant.
    this is incorrect.

for a number of reasons that wont be listed here, though mostly due to the fact that R-lipoic is a ppar-y (gamma) antagonist and is anti-adipogenic.

that has also been shown to reduce fat mass in both insulin sensitive and insulin resistant models (in the very study that "those" individuals were trying to prove otherwise, perhaps they should have read it)

baller45 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macrophage69alpha
    this is incorrect.

for a number of reasons that wont be listed here, though mostly due to the fact that R-lipoic is a ppar-y (gamma) antagonist and is anti-adipogenic.

that has also been shown to reduce fat mass in both insulin sensitive and insulin resistant models (in the very study that "those" individuals were trying to prove otherwise, perhaps they should have read it)
    There is a whole sticky on animal's board, that makes sense, that supports ala making you fatter. I also have tried ala, and I think that nutrient partitioning effects, "primo like", that fonz claimed are bogus.
    Is not incorrect, its another opinion.

the sticky on animals board does not address the numerous pitfalls in his logic that were pointed out on other forums as well as it does not address the fact that his grasp of the molecular mechanisms of both R+ lipoic and racemate are weak at best.

agree that R+ lipoic is not primo-like.

indeed racemate, due to the s-isomer component (which can raise plasma insulin levels), can make you fatter... the stress on can.. not will

there are several studies by Lester Packer, one of the foremost authorities on R+, that show that it is anti-adipogenic through the MAPK pathway and PPAR-y Antagonism.. this is also reflected in most of the animal models.

this was covered at length on steroidology, though animal chose not to answer any of the questions presented. Merely to create tangential arguments, when his points were decimated. Though the whole argument seemed fruitless as his Points were ones that he apparently did not understand all that well... why he attempted to make them is???

Thread Information