realmxofxnoise is offline Junior Member

Question Diet & Training Routine Suggestions?

Hello AR Members,

First of all, as you can tell from my join date and what not, I am a new member to this board. I've been reading for a little while, and definitely like what I've been seeing and reading. Everyone pretty much seems to be great people, with good feedback and knowledge on various topics, thanks for that.

My Question(s):

- I am a vegan (strict vegetarian/no meat, dairy, etc.) and that isn't going to change, so I was curious to know if 1) anyone else was a vegan and had a certain meal routine and/or what your training routine is and if you had any suggestions for me.

- I suppose, I should give my stats:
    [Height]: 6' 3" (Probably 6' 4")
    [Weight]: 265 lbs

- The second question would be based on the fact that I'm very new to training. Only been doing it consistantly for about a month. So far, my routine has been: Day 1: Legs, Day 2: Back, Day 3: Chest, Day 4: Bi's/Tri's, Day 5: Shoulders. of course, this can change by week with changing what is done on different days. Sometimes I will also superset them. I've been working on form mostly because from what I've been reading, that is most important for good results. Any suggestions on routine or anything else?

- I apologize for the long post, and I don't even know if I've covered everything, ha. I'd like to get tone, as of now - I'm pretty much toneless, lol. I need to focus on cardio and start running more, which I definitely want to do, because I'd also love to build endurance and stamina, but need to work something out with my feet (flat footed, heh). Thanks, and once again, sorry for the long post.

Ciao,

- Nick

P.S. - I think I'm going to start keeping a diet/training diary. :- )

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Honestly, being a Vegan will leave you hard-pressed to "tone" anything. As well, running is definitely NOT a good idea. Protein is your key to the look you wish to obtain, and you can't get that from eating trees and bushes.

If protein powder is your only source, no eggs or fish even, it's going to be next to impossible. Dunno if you even consume protein powder. A good thing to do would be to post your diet, the one you are doing that addresses your goals, so we can see if you are taking the steps needed to achieve what you are after. The workouts, cardio, etc., that's all second/third place, FIRST is dietary intake and what that looks like.

~SC~

SwoleCat & Others,

- I'm pretty sure my diet is fine to be honest. I get plenty of protein, there's no doubt about that. Yes - since I started training, I have been taking protein shakes as well. I went and got myself Soy Protein powder. I am also taking Glutamine for the muscle repair (post-workout) and been trying to take Creatine, **** **** is hard to consume, think I need to get the non-flavored version.

- I do consume a lot of fruits and veggies, however, also eat a lot of soy meats, dairy's, etc. I feel (honestly) 90% better than I did when I was consuming animal products. All the research I've done on veganism and what not has definitely lead me to find that our bodies are in no need of animal products. So I decided to go that route. As you know from my first post, I'm not a scrawny vegan, in fact most don't believe I am vegan because I am so big. So I think what I need to do, is just work with what I have, I don't really need mass so to speak, except for turning my current mass into muscle and becoming tone.

- For instance, today, so far, my diet has been:
    [Morning/Wake-up] 1 Bananna
    [Lunch @ Work]1 Bowl of Vegetarian Morrocan Tomato Lentil Soup & half Salad w/Vinnegarette Dressing, and a CLIF Protein Bar.

- I will be hitting the gym today after work, and will do legs & abs (abs everyday). So any feedback is most definitely appreciated. Thanks SC for your feedback already. However, I can not change my diet, I feel wonderful, and my ethical reasons keep me in check and keep me from cheating ;- )

Thanks again,

- Nick

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    To each his own man, do what you gotta do, I respect that.

Your food intake thus far looks horrid for your goals, I'll say it again. 1 banana for breakfast is going to do absolutely nothing for toning, bodyfat, or lean mass.

The research you did is fine, but to say Vegan is healthier is a slippery-slope statement, it's opinionated, and that's about it.

We have teeth for a reason.

~SC~

SwoleCat,

- Lets not get into a veganism debate here on the board or anything, heh - I do that daily. Everyone brings up the teeth issue. I'll say this one thing. Run out to a pasture of cows, jump on one if their backs and try to take a bite. If you can bite a piece of him, go ahead and eat all the meat you want, you are meant to. :- ) Anyway, the bananna breakfast this morning was a rush thing, out the door to work. Can you tell me what you eat and/or what you think people should be eating?

- Also, let me see if we're on the same page. I'm looking to reduce weight/fat and tone up, so eating light will definitely help that. In fact, I lost a good amount of weight once I did go vegan after eating meat for sixteen years. I've been vegan for just about seven years now and couldn't feel better. But your advice is greatly appreciated, I'd love some actual tips on what you think I should do for cardio, etc to drop a few more pounds. Really, what a vegan diet does is get you at the metabolism that your body is right for. Thanks again, hope to have some good tips from ya.

Ciao,

- Nick

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Protein and oatmeal for first meal. A brisk walk for an hour in the morning or cycling at a moderate pace for an hour in the morning will do fine to cut fat, the most important thing to do it on an empty stomach so as to burn fat rather than muscle glycogen.
    Last edited by nsa; 05-16-2004 at 09:48 AM.

nsa,

- If I eat oatmeal and protein in the morning, won't my stomach have food in it? LOL! Or are you just basically saying that that is a small enough amount of food to do the brisk walk or cycle afterward? As far as the cycling goes, that sounds right up my alley, I like to bike, however - when ou say moderate pace, you don't think I should go all out? And cycle hard, burning more calories, etc? Thanks for your reply, look forward to more.

Ciao,

- Nick

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    The first meal should be after your cardio, not before it. You shouldn't cycle hard or all out, that will burn muscle glycogen and muscle rather than just fat.

nsa,

- Thanks for the advice, it's going to be hard since I work early in the morning, but I'll work something out based upon my schedule. Thanks again for the advice/tips, any more will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ciao,

- Nick

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    You need like 45min to an hour of moderate pace excersise to burn fat. Like 4-5 days a week. I've also heard that if you are all out losing weight, then do that cardio after you train with wieghts.
    To get your metabolism going, you need to eat at least every 3.5 hours. Some people manage to eat 8 times a day. You don't eat big, you just graze.
    Yeah, cycle, walk or even swim for cardio. Swiming is great because you keep weight off your joints in the water. Less wear and tear for when you get older. Cartilage doesn't grow easy and some times not at all.
    Keep at it. Deffinatly start a work out book, and a diet book. Track your progress in weight/reps/sets and break down your diet into calories, saturated fats, and poly-unsaturated, and protiene.

Thread Information