alphamedic is offline Associate Member

How much do you lift with Barbell shrugs???

I worked my traps today...and ever since I got into my 3rd week of my cycle, I have been increasing like mad..I was doing 350lbs last week for 3 sets of 8....and 365 this week for 3 sets of 10....so that brings me to my question...Is that pretty good??...How much do you barbell shrug??(those of you that don't just use dumbells)....

decadbal is offline Banned
    415-460...

damiongage is offline Anabolic Member
    405 10x4

Y'all are awsome!!...I hope to be at 400+ in a few weeks...I am pretty sure I will....

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I have grown best when using high reps with shrugs, so I only use about 275.

jerseykid23 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Death
    I have grown best when using high reps with shrugs, so I only use about 275.
    Same. I stick to 12-15 with 225 for a few sets and then I'll bump it up to 275 and rep to failure. I've actually given up barbell shrugs though... My left trap has grown out of proportion! It's noticeably bigger than my right, but that's all irrelevant to your question...

Swellin Guest
    Purepower put me on a shrug routine with 550 for my last set...it ain't for the feint of heart. I ordinarily only go up to 405 for 8 reps then hold it at the top for 26 second (my record is 26----usually 18 sec). He has me doing more weight to help me lock out my dead lifts.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I have shrugged 405 for reps, but feel as if I get much more out of the movement if I stay around 315 for higher reps. Plus my ROM is better at 315.

I too have done shrug holds(like Swellin mentioned)........they really make the traps pop and burn.....hell on the grip though.

Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    I have shrugged 405 for reps, but feel as if I get much more out of the movement if I stay around 315 for higher reps. Plus my ROM is better at 315.

I too have done shrug holds(like Swellin mentioned)........they really make the traps pop and burn.....hell on the grip though.
    yea...that is true for me too...if I get a weight that is too heavy.....my form is horrible....and can't go as high...also, I start trying to compensate by trying to help with my calves...like doing calf raises at the same time..lol

Swellin Guest
    Like I said, I am working on the lockout portion of my deadlifts, so I have to go heavy to getthat move completed. Granted, it is only for three reps.
    About the best trap pump I have ever gotten was to do slow controlled reps with 315 for 12 reps, then blast it up to the top and hold for thrirty seconds.. I thought I wouold have an anuerism.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I find that my traps grow better using less weight and higher reps, using too much weight allows you to be sloppy with your reps.

onebadgixxer is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Testsubject

Darkness is offline Member
    My set is like this 225 -> 315 -> 405 -> 405 -> 315 -> 225 then I'll go for the dumbell shurgs.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellin
    Purepower put me on a shrug routine with 550 for my last set...it ain't for the feint of heart. I ordinarily only go up to 405 for 8 reps then hold it at the top for 26 second (my record is 26----usually 18 sec). He has me doing more weight to help me lock out my dead lifts.
    what's that routine look like?

Justincase is offline Associate Member
    I do mine in the 250 to 300lbs range, I have done 400 but I need to use straps to hold the weight...........my hands just can't hold it that long.
    My brother-in-law kills me! he does 800lbs for 20 reps!

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSEID
    what's that routine look like?
    I can only deadlift 550. I can lift more than that, but I can't lock it out. PP set me up with several exercises and a program to change all of that.

I have severe tendonitis in my foreams and elbows...no grip strength. I have to use straps over 315.

Here is the shrug workout:
    315x8
    405x6
    495x5
    555x5

Increase weight by 10-20 LBS until last set is three reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Justincase
    I do mine in the 250 to 300lbs range, I have done 400 but I need to use straps to hold the weight...........my hands just can't hold it that long.
    Holly Jesus!!....I bet that dude is HUGE!!!!.......Is he cut or more of the big A$$ "strongman" lookin type?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Pyramid up to 405 for reps

Quote Originally Posted by alphamedic
    Holly Jesus!!....I bet that dude is HUGE!!!!.......Is he cut or more of the big A$$ "strongman" lookin type?
    His body fat is about 7% he is 5' 10" and weighs around 245lbs when he bulks he gets to 280 or so.......he is just really, really strong! his bench press is 500lbs durring his workout, not a max but for 10 reps X 3 (no shirt)

He had a really good build as a kid and young adult then used a good bit of AS and just got even bigger.............
    he is now in his mid 30's and has not done any AS in 7 or 8 years and is still big as sh*t.....plus he is really good with his diet, he has been doing it for so long he knows just what to do to bulk and then he can cut it down in 8 to 12 weeks.....

wow...I would love to be in his shoes for one day just to see the attention he gets EVEYWHERE he goes.....lol...I know for a fact that he gets stared at quite a bit.....I would prolly love the attn. and get spoiled tho....haha.....I hope to be like that some day...peace

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Justincase

800lbs....come on now

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteyk
    800lbs....come on now
    Youd be suprised bro, the guy I was training with for a while used to do 9 45 plate a side for 10 reps, so i bet you this guy did do 800, personally i think it pointless, you cant have proper form when your lifting that heavy, it just doesnt work IMO.

Well, I'm happy...I went from last week at 350-3605 lbs for 3 sets of 10....to 405lbs tonight...for 3 sets of 12.....my lifting partner said the first set I was bringing my shoulders foward a bit...so I adjusted my form....and knocked out the other 2 sets perfect....I Love AS!!

Well, I'm happy...I went from last week at 350-3605 lbs for 3 sets of 10....to 405lbs tonight...for 3 sets of 12.....my lifting partner said the first set I was bringing my shoulders foward a bit...so I adjusted my form....and knocked out the other 2 sets perfect....I Love AS!!

Johnnie Jackson said he was using 6 plates on each side when he was 16... how crazy is that?

Quote Originally Posted by jerseykid23
    Johnnie Jackson said he was using 6 plates on each side when he was 16... how crazy is that?
    Very...I had to get out the pen and paper to figure out that's 585lbs.....at 16 (or any age)...that is very impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by whiteyk
    800lbs....come on now
    For what it is worth, I am telling you this guy is cock strong as hell.......
    and he wears nothing but really large clothes to cover him self up.

He did a couple of BB comps when he was still a teen and won them but
    after the 2 he never did anything else.......

Quote Originally Posted by alphamedic
    Very...I had to get out the pen and paper to figure out that's 585lbs.....at 16 (or any age)...that is very impressive...
    Haha, I didn't even bother to calculate... I just know its a lot more than I was doing at sixteen!

bigd5792002 is offline New Member
    450 10x3

Thread Information