se11 is offline Associate Member

Help training Abs

I was wondering if anyone had a simple ab workout I could follow. I have one now, but I don't like it. I mean does anyone have one that consist of like 3-4 exercises with low reps? The one I have no is suppose to have really high reps like 50, 75, 100, and half the time I can't even make it past 45. Can anyone help me out here?

whiteyk is offline Pimp in Training
    no need for those high reps, treat the like any other muscle you want to grow....

heres one
    4x10-15 hanging leg raises
    4x10-15 cable cruches
    **next time you train abs**
    hangin leg raises
    decline crunches
    mix it up, i will always use hanging leg raises because i feel they are superior to any other lower abdominmal developement. also because there are a lot of people who lack lower abs

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteyk
    no need for those high reps, treat the like any other muscle you want to grow....

heres one
    4x10-15 hanging leg raises
    4x10-15 cable cruches
    **next time you train abs**
    hangin leg raises
    decline crunches
    mix it up, i will always use hanging leg raises because i feel they are superior to any other lower abdominmal developement. also because there are a lot of people who lack lower abs
    yeah i have to agree with you on that. the lower abs are the hardest to get to show...alot of people in my gym always work your lower abs first because they are the hardest to show....then you can worry about the rest of your abs

JDMSilviaSpecR is offline Vicious With Malicious Intent
    You should work out your abs in the following order: Lower Abs, Middle Abs, Upper Abs... Each is synergistic to the other.

TNA
    TNA is offline New Member
    My favorite is doing reverse crunches off a slightly inclined bench, specially cause you can increase weight by holding a dumbell in between your feet. Followed by either kneeling rope crunches off the crossover machine or floor crunches where you hold your opposite shoulders with your hands while you try to touch your knees with your elbows and keep your feet flat on the floor at the same time without anyone or thing holding your feet down (very tough exercise, must be explosive to do a full rep though dont use momentum and bounce your head off the ground ouch!). I like to finish it all off with crunches on a swiss ball cause you just cant get the full range of motion like you can with a swiss ball

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I would say go with what whitey said, thats pretty much what i do. And my abs are pretty good. If your worried about your abs showing your biggest thing to work on is your BF%.

znak is offline Senior Member
    If you goal is to have a six pack, you need to fix your diet. PERIOD. You could have the strongest abs in the world but if they are covered with a layer of fat, you will not see them.

If you goal is to have a strong stomach, work out. Do the exercises recommended above or even the ones in the workout you are doing. (I mix it up almost every workout, but that is my approach... the key is attack!)

You have to push yourself. If you can do 45 today, do 47 next time you work out. If you can do 10 hanging crunches today, do 12 next time. Takes time, but you will get stronger if you push yourself.

Also, squat and deads do a lot to your core strength, so careful if you are squatting a lot and doing major abs workouts, you could end up kind of boxy...

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by znak
    If you goal is to have a six pack, you need to fix your diet. PERIOD. You could have the strongest abs in the world but if they are covered with a layer of fat, you will not see them.

If you goal is to have a strong stomach, work out. Do the exercises recommended above or even the ones in the workout you are doing. (I mix it up almost every workout, but that is my approach... the key is attack!)

You have to push yourself. If you can do 45 today, do 47 next time you work out. If you can do 10 hanging crunches today, do 12 next time. Takes time, but you will get stronger if you push yourself.

Also, squat and deads do a lot to your core strength, so careful if you are squatting a lot and doing major abs workouts, you could end up kind of boxy...

so when do you draw the line with squatting, deadlifting, abs etc. i hell sure wouldnt want to look boxy but i may be doing something which may promote that??

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon

so when do you draw the line with squatting, deadlifting, abs etc. i hell sure wouldnt want to look boxy but i may be doing something which may promote that??
    You can avoid thickening your midsection by concentrating on keeping your stomach in during these exercises and using proper form. Try it. When you get around your max, your gut will swell out. That is the weight you don't want to use. Work out with a little less.

Some people (Arnold among them) believe that a belt helps prevent building up the sides of your abs.

Thread Information