BiggerBri2002 is offline Senior Member

BiggerBri's Bigger Bi's

Hey guys,

Starting to notice that my Bi's are lagging behind in growth with the rest of my body during this current cycle. Used to be my best and biggest body part ...not anymore. Currently at only 16 1/2 they SUCK.

I need thoughts on a new Bi/Tri routine!!!

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggerBri2002
    Hey guys,

Starting to notice that my Bi's are lagging behind in growth with the rest of my body during this current cycle. Used to be my best and biggest body part ...not anymore. Currently at only 16 1/2 they SUCK.

I need thoughts on a new Bi/Tri routine!!!
    what is your current bi/tri routine like?

I Keep my Arm routine pretty basic:

Barbell Curl or Straight Bar Curl or Preacher Curl (Alternate)
    Dumbell Hammers
    Dumbell Tri Extension
    Cable Pushdown
    Dips

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    How many sets do you do for your bi's/tri's? I used to work like 8-12 sets for each but now that I do only 6 sets for each my tri's and bi's, I noticied a big difference. My arms are the biggest they have ever been.

JayDawg is offline Junior Member
    Two of my favorite exercises are ez bar curls which I alternate with barbell curls and skull crushers which I alternate using the ez bar and straight bar as well. I am with usualsuspect on the amount of sets (6.)

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    suggest: Closegrip bench, overhead tricep extensions, seated incline DB curls, DB preachers

Any negatives, forced reps, statics?

I have been doing about 4 or 5 reps...guess not enough. I will up it to 6 reps and see what happens.

test is best is offline Associate Member
    bro all i do for tris is 3 heavy worksets of close grip bench then 3 heavy worksets
    of skullcrushers for tris and they grow,make sure you keep a log and add weight
    or more reps each workout!

IronAdam is offline Member
    I have been doing about 4 or 5 reps...guess not enough. I will up it to 6 reps and see what happens.
    The above posters were talking about sets. Just making sure you caught that.

Heavy EZ bar curls alternating inside to outside grip, seated alternating DB curls, then preachers to burn em out at the end and get a nice pump

Goodluck with the arms.

jerseykid23 is offline Junior Member
    Start off the "main" exercises for each with plenty of sets. I do three warm ups with barbell curl and then do 5-6 work sets to really get a tight pump. Keep strict form with elbows in and as little lean as possible. You can try the same tactic with close grip bench or skull Crushers, whatever is your first/"main" tricep exercise.

Thanks for all the ideas guys...I appreciate it. I think I just have to concentrate more on my bi's in these last few weeks of my cycle. I guess I was kind of taking them for granted while the rest of me grew and now they look small.

PS..had stopped doing the skullcrushers after I had an injury, but I think I will start them back up again this week.

NeedPaintoGain is offline Junior Member
    I was thinking about using this 6 set bi routine with my back workout...I usually do back and bi's together...heres my question...Can I do 2 sets of 3 different exercises to hit different areas of the bi's? or should I stick with only 2??

In other words im thinking of doing this:
    Back routine: dont worry about it
    Bi routine: standing or preacher curl, close grip: 2x10,8
    Hammer curls: 2x10,8
    standing or preacher curls, wide grip: 2x10,8
    Or some other exercises that hit different areas of the bi's..you get my point.

or is it better to stick with 2 exercises and do 3 sets each?? Keep in mind this will be done after my back workout and my arms will be pre-exhausted...

I have been doing back with bi's then doing about 9-10 sets of bi exercises after that...i get sore now, but sometimes I dont and I go heavy...my guess is that I might be overtraining my arms if Im not feeling it soo much the next day....is it possible Im doing too much for my bi's??

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Everyone will tell you a million different ways to do arms and your head will swim with the overload of information.

There's no magical number of sets or reps that will make you grow faster. As soon as you stop looking for the Holy Grail of Reps & Sets and Exercise Combinations, the sooner you'll start concentrating on what matters.

If you can’t grow using the most basic exercises for a muscle group by using free weights, then no new, fluffy, bells-and-whistles, machine or new angle/position is going to help you.

Here's what you need to do to start growing now:

1. Pick 3 basic exercises you enjoy doing for biceps.

2. Do these three exercises for the next three months making sure that each time you do these exercises you either add a rep to each set or add a SMALL amount of weight. Since most gyms do not have the magnetic "little gems" to attach to the barbells to add less than 5-pound increments, then focus on adding one rep to each set each time you work your biceps.

3. Stick with doing the SAME exercises in the SAME order for THREE months.

4. Stick with doing the SAME exercises in the SAME order for THREE months.

5. Stick with doing the SAME exercises in the SAME order for THREE months.

(Am I making myself clear??)

6. To hell with trying to shock your body by doing 20 different sets 50 different ways every time you exercise. You don't need that “body-confusion” technique at this stage of your development. You grow as you constantly increase the amount you can lift IF you increase the reps and weights slowly over time and without cheating.

7. To hell with the odd exercises that make you twist your wrists and forearms in weird positions to "shape the muscle." Throw those foolish exercises out.

8. Use the basic curling exercises, preferably free weights, but you're welcome to use machines. My suggestion, choose three from these basic, elementary exercises: Standing curl, concentration curl, hammer curl, and preacher curl. Everything else is just a fluff variation on these basics. NOTE: 21’s are good, but not for this stage of the game, due to the way you need to increase reps (see bottom for example). You can add these later.

9. Do not cheat AT ALL when you’re exercising. NOT even in order to push out the final rep. If you catch yourself cheating, correct it or STOP the exercise and lower the weight. If you are using momentum to throw up the weights or you look like you're dancing like Elaine from Seinfeld when you’re doing curls, then the weights are too heavy. Swallow your foolish gym ego, lower the weights, do the exercise right, and GROW FASTER THAN ALL THE GUYS STILL CHEATING.

10. Be patient. Stop jumping from new exercise to new exercise searching for the perfect combination. Persistence, perseverance, and slowly increasing your strength are the ways you'll grow.

11. NUTRITION, NUTRITION, NUTRITION. If that ain't right, you ain't gonna grow.

Example:

Use weights so they are so heavy that you fail around 8-10 for each first set. Rest 1-2 minutes between each set if you have too. Continue the routine until you can do 8 for all 4 sets, then slowly raise increase the reps each time you work bi's until you can do 12 for each of the 4 sets, increase the weight the start again from 8-6.

First time doing the routine will look something like this:

Standing Curls 50 x 8-10, 50 x 5, 50 x 5, 50 x 3
    Hammer Curls 45 x 8-10, 45 x 7, 45 x 5, 45 x 5
    Preacher Culs 45 x 8-10, 45 x 4, 45 x 6, 45 x 5

The next time you do this routine, about 7 days later:

Standing Curls 50 x 8-10, 50 x 6, 50 x 6, 50 x 4
    Hammer Curls 45 x 8-10, 45 x 7, 45 x 6, 45 x 6
    Preacher Culs 45 x 8-10, 45 x 5, 45 x 6, 45 x 5

Several weeks later:

Standing Curls 50 x 12, 50 x 12, 50 x 12, 50 x 12
    Hammer Curls 45 x 12, 45 x 12, 45 x 12, 45 x 12
    Preacher Culs 45 x 12, 45 x 12, 45 x 12, 45 x 12

Once you reach the point of doing 12 reps for each set, increase the weight by 5 and start over, slolwy building up to 12. After you do this process about 3-4 times, then start pyramiding. If you need more info on how to set up pyramids, then let me know.

Do not think that this is just a beginner's way of working out. The idea behind this is to show you that you can make amazing changes to your body if you constantly increase the resistance and reps SLOWLY over time.

If you don't have the patience to stick with this routine for 3-4 weight increases (ie starting at 8 reps working up to 12, increasing the weight and starting back at 8 for 3-4 times), then this will not work for you because you need patience to grow.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 05-26-2004 at 12:19 PM.

BASK8KACE ...Thanks for that info...sounds like a good plan to me and I will start this week.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Holy F' me!...thats is a wonderful post by Bask8Case. That would of took me days to write.

se11 is offline Associate Member
    Incline Curls 2 warm up + 3-4 sets
    Dumbell Curls 3-4 sets
    Concentration Curl 3-4 sets

That's usually what I do now for Biceps because of a severe forearm pain that prevents me from doing standing barbell curls.

tod682 is offline Associate Member

sickest bicep workout

i have a scrap book of info i think is really good that i read from AR. this is the sickest bicep workout ever and whoever posted it last thanks and sorry but i dont remeber ur name to credit u for it

I was unable to get my arms above 19.5 for a while. This is what I did. To make your arm's grow you must first visualize what you want them to look like. Cut rest time between sets to no more than 20 to 30 seconds. This is a twenty minute workout that will leave your arms barking when done. First warm up with sitting alternate curls...hold when coming up for three seconds...do 12 to 15 with easy to medium weight. Immedietly go to standing barbelle curls. This is also a light to medium warm up set...10 to 12 with a three second negative(if you cannot do a 3 second negative it is to heavy)...go to preacher curls and do tha same thing...only difference is when you get to preacher curls...this should be loaded down with weight...5 reps max...drop 20 lbs...and do 8 reps...drop 20 lbs more and do 10 to twelve. Now keep in mind that I only rest 20 to 30 seconds in between sets...so at this point you should be breathing pretty heavily...after super setting...go to concentrated reverse grip barbell with a 3 second negative...for time purposes I just use the preacher curl bar for this with light to medium weight....then go to dumbell hammer curls with a 2 second pause at the top 10 to 12 reps...repeat all three times for three sets getting heavier each time with less reps....now for Jdog's secret mass builder...last but not least to build the peak of all peaks...go to the preacher curl and turn the pad around so that the flat part is facing away from you...this is what I do... I grab a 70, 50, 30...With arm going straight all the way down....I do 6 reps with 70 holding for 2 seconds at the top...I do 50 for 8...and then 30 for 10 to 12....then switch arms and repeat...I only do 2 sets here as by the time I'm done I want to throw up...measure your arms and in three weeks let me know how you are doing...this should put a half inch in that period of time...remember that when you get to a certain point in your genetic peak...you must take drastic measures to rise above and conquer your objective. Peace

Another interesting routine....well I tried BASK8KACE's routine today, only doing a standing curl, preacher curl and hammers. It felt really good and I got a great burn from it. I will do this over the next several months and see what happens. Time to get these arms up to size with the rest of me now.

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    I noticed better gains in my arms when I split days and did tri's with chest and bi's with back instead of doing them together.

Yeah someone one at the gym recommended that to me....what do you other guys think...is that the best way...splitting tri's and bi's on seperate days?

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    It depends on how you personally respond because I respond better when I have arms as one day. When I worked tri's with chest and bi's with back, I did not get great results. I think it was because I was so tired from chest and back that it was difficult to concentrate on bi's and tri's.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    Another interesting routine....well I tried BASK8KACE's routine today, only doing a standing curl, preacher curl and hammers. It felt really good and I got a great burn from it. I will do this over the next several months and see what happens. Time to get these arms up to size with the rest of me now.
    Yeah someone one at the gym recommended that to me....what do you other guys think...is that the best way...splitting tri's and bi's on seperate days?
    Bri,

I'm glad the routine I suggested felt good. Keep it up.

Whenever you are doing weak point training, one of the best things to do is work that muscle group alone on one day, rest the next day, then continue your workout routine as normal.

By working the muscle group alone on one day, you can use all of your energy to blast the muscle (in this case biceps). The advantage to resting the day after is to allow your body to focus mainly on reparing and building the one muscle group you just worked.

As I warned in my first response in this thread, you're going to get lots of different methods thrown at you. The best thing you can do now is to pick one way and stick with it for at least three months. It doesn't have to be my way, but you do have to pic ONE way to approach this. There are lots of good ideas floating around and there is lots of time to apply them one by one over a LONG period of time. But, if you quickly jump from one method to the next, you'll never fully benefit from any of the methods your try.
    Last edited by BASK8KACE; 05-28-2004 at 10:47 AM.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I agree training weak body part alone for that day is a good idea. And onve again, whatever you are doing, do it harder and for longer

Aguro is offline Associate Member
    Ok sorry about this stupid question, but does anyone as a movie on how to execute the freaking close grip correctly.. it always targetting everything else other then tricep.. I tried EVERY **** way.. over the neck, over the the nips, over the stomach.. elbow in elbow out.. elbow halfway.. reverse grip, on smith machine.. Name it i tried it.. anyway.. right now i do and it working kinda good.. :
    bicep
    6x10 hammer curl half motion.. super set with dumbell curl inside knee.. 6x4-6
    preacher curl cable : 6x10

tricep
    Tricep push down 1and 1/2 meter away from the cable wheel.. with a ez handle.. 6x10 superset with dip machine not seated on it.. half bent.. hard to explain.. 6x4-6
    Tricep extension close grip on flat bench. 6x10 superset with kick back 6x4-6

Thread Information