fabry is offline Senior Member

NEED LEG WORKOUT but cannot squat/deadlift or...

... any other heavy excercise coz of a low back problem!
    dont try to explain me how to squat or any other deadlift story as a miracle for low back strengh... i know my problem and trust me: cannot do them!
    what would you do at my place?
    i was thinkin of:
    (warmup)
    leg ext 3 set
    one-legged leg press 3/4 sets
    lunges 3 sets
    standing leg curl 4 set

i want to develop my vastus (the "drop" near the knee...) and that is why i want to start with leg ext.
    also, when ill go to leg press, my legs will be already "tired" and i can use a lower weight -> that is good for my back!

any suggestion?

last question.
    what about drop set (6,6,6)? where would u use them?

thanks soo much for feedback!!!!

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Heavy leg presses if you can handle it will give you more size than leg extensions. Heavy leg presses if you can do them is the way to go given your circumstances.

ive tried heavy leg press for a while, but noticed, the following 2 days, a "strange" feeling in lower back area...
    i think heavy is just too dangerous for me...
    that is why i was planning for leg ext first and then 1-legged leg press!
    ****, my back drives me crazy!!! i always have to do a lot (A LOT) of stretching after workout and following days to help "her"!!!

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    I don't think your going to be able to get massive quads without heavy squats and heavy leg presses. Heavy squats are far superior to any Quad exercise, so taking that out pretty much taking out the possibility of getting big strogn thighs. You can always cut your BF and go for more definition in your quads rather than size, the illusion of sculpted quads makes them tend to look bigger.

StevePJC is offline Member
    I know what you're going through. I've got degenerative disc disease in two L discs and another that herniated and was never operated on. I was supposed to have fusion a few years back but never did because of costs. I cannot squat or deadlift either.

Here's my leg routine that seems to work.

Leg Press 3 sets

Leg Extensions- 2 sets for each side of quad. What I mean by this is I turn my feet outwards to hit the inner quad, straight for center, and in to hit the inner quad. I do as heavy of weight as I can stand but that I can CONTROL. I do slow movements and get the burn to a point that I cant stand the pain any more. I do a final set to complete and total failure.

Laying leg curls - 4 sets again with as heavy as I can do but keep under control.

Calf Extensions - On the leg press sled. As many sets as will make my calves fail completely.

Now I also feel a bit of a twinge in my lower back when doing lower back on leg press. I tried doing hack squats and that just wasn't happening. I dont know what your problems are but as far as your back problems if it is lower you have to do what you have to do. WHat I've done is lower back extensions twice a week at a very low weight to strengthen the muscles in the area. It has helped but thats about it.

thanks for your experience.
    yes, as soon as ill feel confortable, ill start to do back extensions to strengthen muscles in that area. also, seems a good glute excersise (standing glute machine or any other specific movement for glutes) could help your lower back --> just dont push your leg too much "behind" when doing glutes!
    next weel ill try 2 different workout (and see how do i fell "the day after"):
    1)
    single leg ext
    leg presses
    lunges
    standing leg curls
    2)
    one-legged leg presses
    single leg ext
    lunges
    standing leg curls

thanks... and if anyone else want to add more.. pls u welcome!

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    i have a herniated disk too, so i know all about the lower back problems. I try not to over work the legs cuz that is some painful stuff.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Hack squats shouldnt hit your lower back 2 hard... and if you cant go heavy, EVERY set should be a drop set.

ZHAARK is offline New Member
    I allso have a lower back problem, I found that hack squats is much better.
    I start my legs routine with 45degree leg press, then hack squads, followed by leg extentions and lying leg curls.
    I go as heavy as possible, without hurting my back.
    I've gained 3cm in one month.
    I know it is not much, but keep in mind, it is not with real heavy waights.

PS: I was NOT using anything during that time.

Thread Information